Universal Cinco Paus (by Michael Brough)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by zen_mode, Dec 25, 2017.

1. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Can anyone give me the new update notes in English ! =] thanks

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    #82 LordGek, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Exactly what I'm looking for as well.

I'll happily Google Translate it myself once I can get a "copyable" form of said text here:
    http://appshopper.com/games/cinco-paus

Ahh, okay, here's what Google translate says:

small version:
    - a wand may have no more than five charges.
    - I noticed a problem when the wizard is toxic.
    - When artifacts have all the improvements, five gems gives a treasure.
    - Garbage Can can reuse Escape Jacket in the same action.
    - I noticed a problem with Protect against Ghosts.

Not totally sure what some of these lines mean, but at least a few of these points seem pretty clear.

3. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
  4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
  5. vivafringe

vivafringe Well-Known Member

May 10, 2014
    Haha, thanks. It definitely involved some good luck with nice creature abilities, good artifacts and some crazy duplicate levels where I scored a ton at once.

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    So does the game end at 50 games? I noticed the highest of high scores are all listed as having been achieved in 50 games. Just curious, since I'm pretty sure I'll never reach those heights myself.

7. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    :eek:
    Don't ask me, I died on the 50th game :eek:

Lol.

But yes it looks like 50 is the end, the others on the leaderboard with 50 still have Vivo as status, so they were still alive. (Me, morto)

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Thanks, xjaff! Great score, by the way. I'm slowly but surely improving--my goal at this point is to get an artifact. That'll feel like major progress to me.

9. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
  10. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Another update is out. Not sure what it changes. Because it's in Portuguese.

11. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, get an artifact and then another! The game gets more and more interesting the further you go. Just take your time, you will get there. I am expecting that I will see you start climbing quickly (and few other on my friends list - SV and slamraman usually dig MB games too). There is certainly some luck involved in the early stages, once you get an artifact or two that adds some insurance to keep a streak alive (but really any game can end in an instant with a bad break or two).

I was sort of avoiding reading too much of this thread early on, as I like to go through the discovery and learning part of Michael Brough's games on my own. Now that I have learned most of how this game works I have gone back and read this thread from the beginning, viva and others have great tips and advice.

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I've gotten a couple of artifacts, which pleased me no end. My goal now is to get two artifacts in the same streak and score over 100 eventually. This game is awesome.

I know what you mean about wanting to discover and learn MB's games on your own, but honestly, without TA's forums providing tips and advice for Cinco Paus (not to mention 868-HACK and Imbroglio), I'd probably never have put the time and energy into his games. That would have been a regrettable mistake.

13. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I swear I'm not just lazy, but I can't seem to figure out how to copy and then translate the latest update's notes. If anyone is more technically adept than me, feels like doing it, and the changes seem important, I would love to know what's what with the latest version. Thanks in advance for any info.

14. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    #94 shfrost, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Say what you will regarding Mr. Brough's decision to not include an English translation for the game and updates, but it's my opinion that it is simply pointless. I love his games and would have jumped on this one, day one, had it not been for this silly, apparently self-serving move. I understand that Brough was/is learning to speak Portuguese, and this was one method of doing so, but that serves no purpose for the rest of us. It doesn't make the game more interesting, more artistic, or better in any way. It just alienates. Of course, as the developer, he has every right to do as he pleases, and it's up to us to decide if we want to go for the ride. I get that. But again, I see no purpose for excluding an English translation outside of the dev's personal interest.

As a board wargamer, I'm used to brain-burning rulesets and 50-plus page manuals, so I don't mind a good mental workout. When it comes to a good game, I'm ready to put in the time and effort. But I expect the rules and gameplay to make sense. And though it sometimes happens accidentally, rules and explanations are not missing from my games, and are certainly not purposely withheld from me.

I enjoy discovery in games. Who doesn't? ;) 868-HACK is full of discovery and cleverness, and is one of my all-time favorite apps. It has an extended learning curve, incorporating much trial and error, but I never felt that anything was missing. If the game is based on discovery, that's fine and we accept it, but I think few gamers want to be forced into "discovering" a new language in order to learn the rules, and for no reason other than a whim of the developer.

I know, I know, I'm "missing out on a great gaming experience...," etc. But no, even the best arguments in support of his decision can convince me it was a good one. How does it help or improve the game? What purpose does it serve the customer? Most of all, how is it received by the customer? :confused:

I think, at this point, now that the hardcore fans have made their purchase and are apparently enjoying the game, Mr. Brough could offer an English update and make many more fans happy. It's probably safe to say he would also make new fans. He'd surely make more money, even if that's not a priority.

I'm a fan, Mr. Brough. I really am. I'm just disappointed and scratching my head over your decision. And because I'm a fan, and despite what I've said here, I'll probably break down at some point and purchase the game, but only after I've downloaded enough translated material to eliminate some of my frustration. And I have no doubt that I'll enjoy it, maybe love it as I do 868-HACK. But that won't change my opinion on the translation issue.

I look forward to the next game and the one after that, and all games from this developer, and hope to God they're in English. ✌️

15. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    Hey, Michael here. Thanks everyone!

If you're playing the game and there's something that's not possible for you to figure out by observation and experimentation, then I've messed up, let me know and I'll try to make it clearer! There shouldn't be anything that it's strictly necessary to read Portuguese to work out.

If it makes you uncomfortable to see text in a language you don't know how to read then I'm glad to be able to give you this experience. We're all in a constant process of growing to become more accepting of that which we don't understand. If you find that a foreign language is uncomfortable to you in a way that nonsense symbols wouldn't be (AltsKev, Ghostdog1), that's really interesting! Aren't brains weird? Maybe there's something to learn here.

If you're upset about something without even playing the game, I wish you all the best! I'd love for you to try it, but it's totally cool if not everything I do is to your taste, it would be pretty boring if everything had to please everyone all the time. I'm going to keep making what I want to make and I hope you will too.

16. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #96 Ubisububi, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Patch notes should be in the language of whatever App Store in which it is offered.

In particular, I’m waiting for iPhone X support. It may already be there but I have no freaking way of knowing.

Also, this little nugget should probably be front and center in the App Store description. If I'd seen this, I'd probably have pulled the pin on it long ago, iPhone X support or not:

"If you're playing the game and there's something that's not possible for you to figure out by observation and experimentation, then I've messed up, let me know and I'll try to make it clearer! There shouldn't be anything that it's strictly necessary to read Portuguese to work out."

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    <3

While I've recently been working a lot more, this and Imbroglio have still been my go-to games whenever I get a free minute.
    All of the icons have worked their way into my memory. =P

And while I'm nowhere near being able to be a competitor on the game center leaderboards, I'm still very much enjoying trying to better my own scores/streaks.

I don't really have anything else to say...
    Other than this response just made me respect you even more (didn't know that was possible-but I guess respect doesn't really have a ceiling...).

=D

I really hope to see many more games from you in the future. In English or not. Symbols, other languages, no text at all... Whatever I can get my greedy little hands on.
    =D

... I think I could officially be labeled a 'fanboy' at this point...
    =X

18. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    #98 cbos0503, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Uhm... So I accidentally swapped with a frog before he came out the door. I'm not able to move in any direction. I had just tapped on the artifact to see what I had in my list, and must have selected the frog in the bottom left corner accidentally.

@MB - Any suggestions? This is my best run to date and would hate to lose it like this...

EDIT: So I force closed the app... After restarting the game resumed with my character in the square outside the entrance.

Attached Files:

19. Michael Brough

Michael Brough Active Member

May 5, 2012
    cbos0503: thanks I'll fix that in the next update. i'm glad it somehow fixed your being stuck without me having to do anything!

20. cbos0503

cbos0503 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    One more bug. The Raio Curto ability wasn't being revealed on the used wand from the first screenshot. Several times in this run, I fired it into a monster in the corner and the beam didn't bounce. I believe the monster was in the corner every time. But you can see when the game was over, Raio Curto did exist on the wand.

Attached Files: