Are the remastered versions of Monkey Island and Beneath a Steel Sky worth buying?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Somerandomdude, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I have ScummVM and have both games on there. I was wondering if it was worth paying for either game at the current price (BASS=0.99; MI=3.99). I've beaten Monkey Island before and have never gotten anywhere in Steel Sky, but I'm a huge adventure game fan so I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I do in fact get somewhere. Also, I think that the interfaces in both are much improved and I love the voice acting in MI (The dude who plays Guybrush is one of my favorite voice actors just for that one part).

So is it worth it or should I just stick with the free versions I have on my iPod already? I have about 21 bucks left and am awaiting a few other apps to come out, such as NOVA and the new Verrukt map in COD: Zombies.

2. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Definitely. Monkey Island's remastered handrawn graphics are awesome. Beneath A Steel Sky has a great control scheme (not the drag and click) and it also, like MI: SE has a hint system incase you get stuck. Great addition that saves time from looking at walkthroughs. I'd really recommend them if you like these adventure games, especially at these lowered prices.

3. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I love the graphics on MI, although they feel a bit different from originally playing it (personally, I was hoping they'd go with the MI3 style graphics), but they're awesome looking. I think I'll finish up the lite version there and then decide if I want to buy. I'll probably finish it today, so I'm not worried about price increase.

BASS I was strongly considering due to the hint system, interface, and price. How are the graphics though? Did they get an update too?

4. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Yes, both of them are so worth buying

5. Masmo

Masmo Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Overlord
    In your pants
    Is MI 3 the 'The Curse of MI'? If so, that one was great too!

I don't think BASS got an update. But don't take my word for it, I never played the first. But, it's still a great game, though I haven't got very far in it yet. Anyhow, you can't go wrong with 0.99

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I'll play a bit on ScummVM and see if I want to buy it.

And The Curse of Monkey Island (MI3) had some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a game. It was just film quality. I like them more than the new HD graphics in modern games. And the most amazing thing is that it ran smoothly on Windows 95. That game was just crazy. I had it on ScummVM, but it just took up way too much space on my iPod. Ah well, I've beaten it several times anyway.

7. cprloe

cprloe Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Katy, Texas USA
    Both are great games. Highly recommended. And both are absolute steals at their current prices.

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    I can only speak for BASS; it's one of the best games I've ever purchased (got it at it's $2.99 price point a few weeks ago).

This remastered version features new animated cut scenes which are pretty awesome and the hint system is great! I'd really recommend you to buy this game, it's only $.99.

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I actually looked at both, and it seems that the Remastered version has slightly updated graphics. I just played it on ScummVM and then looked at a youtube video of it and the graphics were a bit nicer, but didn't change much.

10. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    They are both VERY good adventure games. Terrific buys at their current sale prices. BASS has been updated with some comic-style cutscenes, but not sure how much of the actual in-game graphics have changed. I am currently playing BASS and am really enjoying it.

11. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I just bought Beneath a Steel Sky. I've been meaning to get into it, and what better way than a mobile version designed for the device? And at 99 cents it was a steel (get it? haha... that wasn't funny...). Now to just let it download...

12. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    You won't regret it, really nice game :). Haha steel... :p

13. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    lol.
    Well its good

14. Claridosa

Claridosa Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2009
    I got BASS a couple days ago before the price dropped (still kicking myself). I am not found of it at all. The graphics are similar to Nick Chase and it is far from exciting. However for the price (.99) I guess you can't beat it. The sequel to Jules Verne is .99 and that is a steal. I also got Monkey Island but I am finding it a tad slow.

15. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    BASS is the best adventure game in the app store and for 99cent its a steel:D:D
    Just wish they would port the Broken Sword games to

16. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  17. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
  18. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    I only got time to play awesome games. Notice, not only good ones, I need AWESOME games. I played beneath a steel sky, which means it's awesome and delicious. It is one of the few *HQG* (High Quality Games) in the AppStore so buy it! It has cool charakters and a REAL GOOD voice acting. Never noticed anything negative.

19. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    They are most definitely worth buying, both of them. 'Beneath...' is my favourite of the two, but they are both truly awesome :)

20. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Well, I'm lovin BASS. I just got past the part where Richten gets sliced in half (Don't worry for those who havn't gotten that far, it's really early in the game.) It's just a ton of fun, too bad they don't make games like this anymore.