Electrical advice needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Mene, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Hi.

So I succumbed to my desires and bought an imported nVidia shield for use as an all-in-one emulation system but I have a problem.

The plug for charging it is an American plug so obviously useless in the UK.

The cable is USB but the PC charges it way too slowly, I have two ipad charging plugs (10watts and 12watts output)

I've not used these yet as I'm scared of putting too much voltage through it, the shields plug says volts and amps and doesn't list watts so I'm unsure if my ipad chargers would be safe.

Anyone know?

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just use a travel plug adapter so you can charge it up. I've done that a few times with electrical devices I bought from the US

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I never thought of that as I don't have one, but I can pick one up, thanks.

on a other note, it seems I've screwed it up :(

It said there was an update so I got it and since installing 4.4.2 it won't write to my sdcard, seems to be no way of fixing it without rooting (and I won't do that on a new device as it might brick it) and I can't go back to an earlier version of the os.

Very annoying

4. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Just play dumb and return it for another one.

5. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah that was when it really hit me Google is actually a pretty petty company they actually claimed that killing the SD card on everyone's device was for security yet they did it really underhandedly and changed their G-drive prices at the same time.

I actually really liked Android up until that point but I never could never work out why the storage sizes were so low. I think Google threw a massive hint they don't want users actually having their own storage it kind of makes sense when you think about what they did with the chromebook etc.

That's the reason I'm still using 4.2.1 on my phone but I'd advise you looking into towelroot I've considered trying it myself but I do feel the same way you do about rooting and would rather not risk it.