Best iPad Racing Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by joe830, May 31, 2010.

?

Best iPad Racing Game

1. Asphalt

7.9%
  2. Real Racing

52.6%
  3. Need for Speed

28.9%
  4. Other

10.5%
  1. joe830

joe830 Active Member

Mar 8, 2009
    #1 joe830, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
    I really want to get one of the big three racing games (NFS, RR, Asphalt). Which one do you like best and why?

2. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    I have a lot of experience with racing games for me it's got to be Real Racing without question. Turn off assisted breaking altogether, set to control style B, accelerometer sensitivity just past 3/4 the way along (just before the Y of sensitivity). For me more than any other this is THE killer app. It feels amazing and I get something out of shaving split seconds off in time trials which is always a sign of a superlative racer. great depth and replayability I played the iPhone version to death still loving it all over again now on the iPad. Hope this helps.

3. Psykikgmr

Psykikgmr Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Is it possible to drift in Real Racing like it is in other sim racers like Forza Motorsport 3 (Xbox 360)? Cause I've been trying for a little bit and I haven't been able to at all. It's my favorite thing to do and gotten pretty good at it. Like in Forza 3 online I love smoking past everyone with good drifting work. I can't seem to do any of that in Real Racing though. Am I wrong here in thinking you can't drift?

4. darwiniandude

darwiniandude Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Real racing has awesome framerate and is the most responsive, eg car turns as you turn, no lag.

Don't have Shift but didn't like it on the iPhone a great deal... It's good but felt anemic compared to RR.

Asphalt is good fun, more arcadey. On the iPhone it's a bit hard to see what's coming up, that problem is eased on the iPad. Frame rate dips occasionally but it's a good game.

I'm really waiting for GT Racing for iPad. That's my favorite game. It's not as twitchy as Real Racing but I love the massive career mode and the fact that all the cars handle very differently from a T model Ford to a Bugatti Veyron. I really want this.

But without a double Real Racing is the best for single races and multiplayer, it's great for multiplayer against iPhones too.

5. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #5 seyoon, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
    I have no experience with software programming and all and this is just from the untrained eye. Maybe I'm in the minority in TA but I actually like the way NFS looks on the iPad. Looks crisper and real.

Some screenies:

Real Racing
    [​IMG]

Need for Speed: Shift
    [​IMG]

6. Bad Hanson

Bad Hanson Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Somnambulist
    The Westcountry UK
    If You're going purely on looks Seyoon then you might want to try Dirt 2 or Forza 3! My reasoning for picking real racing was not a purely aesthetic one, instead taking into account the overall performance and handling. I just can't be playing shift when RR is there offering me a better experience. Even without manual gears real racing is sublimely immersive. My view yes but it is tempered with some objectivity.

7. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    Fair enough. There's no agrument against that really. Real Racing is good for its SIM-ish character. Like you mentioned in your other post, turning off break assist and just master the handling as you dash for the gold. Shift is more arcade-y that most users can just let loose and enjoy the fun rather than overthink things. These are both for different audiences thus "best" is very subjective to each gamer.

Yep, no doubt that my previous post was more on graphics rather than directed at anybody's specific post.

Cheers!

8. jmelrose

jmelrose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Teach
    Central FL
    Is there an iPad racer that comes close to the fun of San Francisco Rush or Beetle Adventure Racing?

9. joe830

joe830 Active Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Anyone have any feedback on Asphalt 5?

10. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

I loved San Francisco Rush!!

11. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Well-Known Member

Cubed Rally Racer? it was on the frontpage of TA a week or so ago and looked really fun I haven't tried it myself yet though

12. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    yEa after extensivly reading about these three games I decided to go with Ashpalt because I want a more arcade racer. It definately fits the mold if your looking for a arcade racing game. That being said, get real racing if you want a real sim like racer and get nfs if you want a combination of the two.