Tyrian::: new screens & video

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by mobilainteractive, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mobilainteractive

mobilainteractive Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Here is the latest video and screens from iPhone version of Tyrian, which we are prepping for AppStore submission.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Hey! It looks amazing... As you can tell from my signature, I'm super excited about playing this game again!

I'm a little bit worried about the controls now though:
    - No touch sensitive menus?
    - Info on the left? I'm sure it used to be on the right... Do we get a choice?
    - Will it be touch or tilt or both?
    - Will there be an autofire option?

3. Zarile3

Zarile3 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    what kind of game is this? RTS? Screen looks nice...any gameplay info?

4. romulus

Mar 30, 2009
    Its a shooter... Check the video and link in the original post. Its been around on different systems for years. You can pick up OpenTyrian for free on PC/Mac/Linux :D

5. mobilainteractive

Mar 6, 2009
    - We'll look in to touch sensitive menus (current setup is just the easiest to implement, given the existing code). Question to you as the end-user: would you rather see the release delayed another 2 weeks because of this feature or have the game as is and get it in the update?
    - current setup assumes right-handed user(s). The buttons, share the space with the info panels. adding additional layouts are not particularly difficult but somewhat time-consuming.. we'll probably do with updates (assuming there is enough interest to the release)
    - INMHO, tilt controls in this particular scenario don't offer enough precision for quality gaming experience, but if people insist - it will not be hard to add..
    -Top button (red) toggles fire on/off - this seems to be the most reasonable setup given the interface limitations..

6. romulus

Mar 30, 2009
    #6 romulus, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
    Thanks so much for the prompt response! I'm so glad you're porting Tyrian to the iPhone... I'm super excited!! Here are my opinions on what you said:

CONTROLS: I prefer touch controls but I know many people here prefer tilt. Currently the discussion with touch seems to be over whether the ship is under or in front of your finger (so you can see if you're getting hit).

RIGHT-HANDED: After years of doing it this way with every console imaginable, I prefer to move with my left hand and shoot with my right... Most games seem to have info panels on the right too. I don't really know why it matters but it really really does. It's got to be an option.

MENUS: Those of us who know Tyrian will buy it whatever, but for those that have never played it I can imagine the d-pad thing making it feel substandard. I want everyone to buy it and love it so that you commit to updates, hence I'm happy to wait if you agree it will improve sales!

Put it this way, Tyrian is EPIC. Done right it could be a gamebreaker and net you the whole scrolling shooter market. Released substandard it will just be another game among thousands that gets ignored by everyone except diehard fans.

I'd say take the extra time and get it as close to perfect as possible.... :D

7. romulus

Mar 30, 2009
    Any other Tyrian fans out there want to chip in? I'm sure not everyone will agree with my preferences! :D

8. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Wow looks neat, I'm going to play the PC version and I'll get back to you on any suggestions.

In the meantime, good luck!

9. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Ooh, purdy.

Looks hectic.

I love hectic.

10. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    great, definitely picking this game up.......i just hope the controls are not messed up like in siberian strike, where your finger always cover parts of the action and the accelerometer controls are as unresponsive as my dead grandpa.

11. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    The controls are lightning fast... Trust me

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

12. Kumulus

Kumulus Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2008
    glad to hear that ;)

13. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    It's got perfect controls, and is better than any other vertical shooter I've played.

The only problem is that it's not Tyrian 2000, but that can't be changed.

14. mobilainteractive

Mar 6, 2009
    Just a dev update: we are finally done changing the menu screens. (no D-pad anymore :))
    We'll submit the game to the Appstore on June 5. (the date seems to be pretty firm at the moment)
    Expect to see it for in the store 1-2 weeks after that.
    We'll keep you posted.

15. Frant

Frant Well-Known Member

me too, even if I'm right-handed I prefer to move characters with left arm and shot with right

btw, the game looks amazing, looking forward to it ^)

16. romulus

Mar 30, 2009
    thank you!!

17. iCaramba

iCaramba Active Member

May 6, 2009
    Ah, this takes me back to good old Commodore 64 :D (yes, Im that old ;) )

Looks great! Ill certainly look for it when it gets released.