Street Fighter IV- Will it Work on iDevice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by highlyrefinedpirate, Feb 15, 2010.

1. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    What are your guys' opinions?

http://wireless.ign.com/articles/106/1069286p1.html

After playing Blades of Fury, I just have trouble seeing a fighting game working on the iDevice.

I'm hoping I'll be proven wrong though, as I would love to see this be a good game.

Also, with SFIV, a major console game coming to the iDevice, will more follow?

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I had no problems with Blades of Fury (and, in fact, it's one of my favorite action games on the platform), so, yeah, i'm sure it can work. Will it have the all the complexity of moves of the console version? Probably not. Would it still be fun? Hell, yeah.

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I agree with pretty much everything you just said in that post. And I see absolutely no reason for this not working. It's going to be better actually, on the go and much cheaper. I'd prefer to pay upwards of $10 to have it pretty much wherever I go over paying $40 for some slightly better controls and graphics, but sacrificing portablility and convenience.

4. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

On the issue of complex moves like Guile's Super or even a Shoryuken, i do think making something like a lenient drawrace-style pre-programmed shape could deal with the moves. The game would have to be slowed down, though.

5. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    hm maybe I'm in the minority then, idk I
    downloaded Blades of Fury and just couldn't really get into it.

although perhaps I'm being unfair in comparing Gameloft to Capcom.

and no, I'm not a Gameloft hater, I enjoy many of their games, but Capcom is a top tier developer and I'm excited to see what they do with this.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I think the reaction to Blade of Fury around here can best be called mixed-to-positive -- I'm sure you're not the only one who had a problem with it. The real question is how seriously is Capcom taking the challenge of making a game like this work on the iDevice. From the IGN article, it seems like they have the right attitude, so I'm feeling positive about it.

Time will tell, of course.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yes it will work...

The question is will it be any fun without a controller?...

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, I think that Blades of Fury, while a fun game, was more or less a place holder until a REAL fighter came out. I really liked the game, but it just didn't work as well as most fighters I've played, and I've played A LOT.

As for controls, this is Capcom we're talking about, not the people who made Spartacus (which, admittedly, is a fun game). Those controls were just... they didn't work for a fighter game. Capcom games, on the other hand, control great. I've never had a problem in either Resident Evil game or any of their other games. I think this is going to control fine.

9. motitas

motitas Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    You don't wanna know
    Im sure it'll work. But I wont like it as much. The Joy of SF is button mashing.

Also blades of fury isn't THAT bad. It's just the characters and voice acting are laughable.

10. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Oh my, a Street Fighter with four inputs (I'm not going to say buttons as that would be an insult to actual buttons). That's not going to turn out pretty.

If a fighting game is going to turn out well on a devce with no buttons, then in an ideal situation...

1) Have a brand new IP because unless you fully deliver the base mechanics of an established IP then what is the point in porting it besides taking advantage of the IP to make money. Then again, to companies (especially Capcoms vast milking practices) that is mostly the only point in doing stuff like this

2) Devise mechanics and a control scheme especially around that device

I will never understand the taking of games that were built line-by-line around a specific controller to devices that cannot ever do it justice. I shudder to think if something like this were to occur with Monster Hunter. Capcom can't stoop that low, surely...

11. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Button mashing is the joy for you??!!! :eek: The joy for me is pulling off super-complex moves. -cough cough- Vega -cough cough-

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    That's actually why companies do everything that they do. It's a basic fact of capitalism. They have a big IP; they will use it.

I've played only the Monster Hunter demo on my PSP; the one thing that I hated about it, ironically, was the controls -- the camera always seemed to be pointing in the wrong direction. That's something that might actually work better on the iDevice.

In any event, if I can memorize the keyboard layout on my iPhone (without needing physical keys), I can memorize the location of four buttons. Obviously, there will be people unable or unwilling to do so -- the game will not work for them.

13. weisome

weisome Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Behind You!
    OMG, I love SF IV! I have it on my Xbox, and soon, on my iPod! :D:D

14. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I just downloaded one of the screenshots from IGN onto my iPod, and it came out exact size. Based on that one screen...

These controls will be fine. They won't be in the way, nor will they be so small that you miss the buttons frequently. Plus, they can be customized from what I hear, so it's going to work fine.

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    The recently released Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has 3 buttons (not including partner button), but has plenty of complexity. The same goes for other games with 4 inputs (e.g. SNK vs.)

I'm extremely curious as to how exactly they are going to make the control scheme work. I don't think the original SFIV scheme would work very well (pulling off Vega's ultra would be a nightmare), so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

16. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well, that clearly shows all that needs to be shown. The whole point of Monster Hunter is that every action is directly under your control. In Monster Hunter all these actions require a means to move, a means to direct the camera and at least six buttons.

Cutting any part of that means the removal of a fundamental aspect of the series, because as with fighting games (MH actually shares a lot with SF) every little mechanic of the entire game is completely built around that initial control scheme.

In addition, having inputs or layouts that are not as complete as its original scheme would also mean in the lessesning of the series complexity, otherwise as it is the game would be impossible to progress through. This is a game about split-second reactions and successfully being able to combine up to four different inputs simultaneously 100% of the time within those split-seconds. That 100% of the time is especially essential to MH, because if the controls cannot allow the user to do that - instant KO in the game. Monster Hunter is a very punishing series with no leniency to be found, thus it is essential the controls are up to snuff.

Except if you went and played with people actually using buttons, your playing would be considerably worse than theirs. They would have the advantage.

That is the benefit and indeed point of buttons in that a person can adapt to them in a way that it becomes practically instinctive, and as such you can raise the 'level' of the operations in the game (with regards to pacing, pattern complexity, competiveness, etc). You can only have that level of instinctiveness when your brain has more to work with / from, and quite clearly touch inputs do not offer as complete a picture (with regards to information for your brain) as actual tactile press / depress buttons.

Touch screens has its benefits in many areas, however it is not the be all. This is one of those areas where it considerably falls behind to buttons.

17. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That wasn't my point. TvC isn't Street Fighter. It has its own mechanics, its own movesets, its own way of play. Street Fighters mechanics, movesets and way of play is completely built around six buttons. That was my point.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I'll take your word on Monster Hunter -- again, I didn't spend too much time on it myself, and it seems to require a fair amount of practice to get it right.

I would say that I type faster on my iPhone than most people do on their Blackberries (and I mean full sentences, not IM speak). Manual feedback makes learning quicker, but, in your words, not the end all be all of generating muscle memory. Position, movement, and visual feedback can achieve the same effect -- it just takes longer. I can do the twitchiest maneuvers in Meteor Blitz without needing a physical dual-stick set up. I can also pull off some pretty gnarly moves in Skater Nation. It took more practice than it would have on a PS3, but I got there fairly quickly.

In any event, as far as I know, the game will not allow for people to play online across platforms, so whether somebody is more proficient with real buttons is immaterial. You can play tennis on a fast cement court or on a slow grass one; what matters is that both players are on the same surface.

I can understand that you would much prefer to play this game with real buttons. I just don't agree that this set up is an abomination. (And I think it could still be a lot of fun.)

19. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That wasn't my point with that comparison. My point was that level of high-level play as found in games with actual buttons, wouldn't be possible with a touch screen. With Monster Hunter, it would have to be considerably reduced to be more leniant and less complex to allow touch controls to be just ok enough. In that end, what would be the point when the series exists because of those aspects.

20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As I said before, I'll take your word on Monster Hunter. Personally, when I downloaded the demo I thought it would just be a fun game about killing monsters -- I wasn't quite ready for the ultimate test of my motor reflexes. Guess that's why I didn't actually enjoy it that much.