My reply to the homosexual shooter thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by starjimstar, Mar 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    I couldn't find the old one, so I have started a new one.

The problem with most media is not that it is overtly homophobic (though that does exist.) It is usually a matter of heterosexism; an insidious status quo. It is very important for minority groups to have figures we can relate to. When my partner and I are threatened for holding hands in public, it is painfully clear, just how much we need equal representation; for ourselves, but also to desensitize the straight majority so we may be welcome under the umbrella of 'normal'.

2. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    There was a reason it was closed.

3. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    The old one was locked.

For a reason.

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Oh, what happened?

5. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    This is a discussion for iPod gaming, not politics.

Feel free to click the link on my sig and join if you do want a discussion, many members enjoy the debate :) But make sure to post in the politics thread

6. touchy

touchy Member

Feb 17, 2009
    I support you, but unfortunately there is a lot of apparent ignorance on the board. Apple is known as a very gay-friendly co. it's the customers who may not be. I'd rather see a game that had all types of people, inclusive. What is a gay shooter, really.

7. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    I hate people like you who try to shove your bias beliefs down my throat. If you want your opinions heard go vote for a pussy (Liberal) in '12, and someone will coddle your naive rants about society.

8. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I wanted to chime in on that topic, but it was closed (and, honestly, it well should have been).

Some posters were making statements that definitely veered into homophobic.

That said, this post isn't about them.

Something that a few posters stated caught my eye though:

The idea that if a character in the game is gay, it's okay, just as long as the game itself is not about homosexuality. "Games shouldn't be centered on sexuality" or, in this case, homosexuality.

But...I thought video games were a valid medium of artistic expression? And, if so...why can't games be centered around or focused on the character's homosexuality? Tons of novels, movies, plays, hell, even art exhibitions (sculpture, painting, photography) are geared toward individual expressions of homosexuality, the internal and external conflicts arising from such feelings (or, rather, such lives), etc.

Is that not a valid topic for the game medium?

Or is it that the medium itself has not matured enough as an artform for such topics to be valid, or, rather, expressed in a way that does not seem juvenile?

The closest to a "homosexual" game we have are some obscure JP games, and those focus on plastering overtly homosexual erotica over simple arcade offerings. Then again, how does one go about creating an expression of the internal and external conflicts in a medium that has yet to truly grasp what makes it unique above other mediums (interactivity) and instead grabs onto elements that work in other mediums but really do not in this one due to going against the very strength of the medium (as developers often fall back on the "easy" way out of telling story through non-interactive, and IMHO very badly written, "cinematic" cutscenes). The medium itself hasn't developed a mature enough language to convey even the most trite and non-complex stories, so how can we expect it to convey right now such a deep issue as sexual orientation without it "getting in the way"?

Perhaps a medium that hasn't even had it's Citizen Kane, or even, really, it's Man with a Movie Camera is much too young to have its Brokeback Mountain.

Just my 2 cents.

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Why did you have to post something like this :(

10. THEDeliriumTrigger

Dec 4, 2008
    Im sorry to say it, but you just acted out what you were preaching against.

This thread is going nowhere- reported.

11. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    Im drunk :(

12. spiffyone

Dec 7, 2008
    Jeez...way to actually provide evidence to the point he was making :rolleyes:

13. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Ah, ok, I can like you again in the morning :D

14. Monopoly

Dec 12, 2008
    McCain '12!

I'd settle for Al Gore though :p

15. spiffyone