Behind the App Store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Vetasoft, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    #1 Vetasoft, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
    There is a game called "Dragon Ball Z GT" on the App Store.

Mentioned as a game, It's just a splash screen with nothing else.
    the game cost 0,99 USD

The games is already 9th on the top Overall in Italy and 10th in Spain

with copyright issue, false description, and no game, how Apple could validate an "app" in the game category?

I'm surprise to see this kind of application on the App Store, and I'm with all the serious developers. We trully work hard to made polished game, our games are well rated by the media and we never get any chance to be featured.

What do you thinks about this situation?

2. milkmangames

milkmangames Well-Known Member

well how are its reviews :)

its hit and miss. theres alot of apps out there for them to slog through. I still remember when 'mario soundboard' was the top paid app for a long time.

be thankful it's not android...have a look at the new release section there.

3. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    it's not android yes, but it's apple, it supposed to be better.

I remember the mario soundboard, Apple wanted to clean all does apps but, few years later, we got the same scenario

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'm pretty sure Apple has repeatedly said they do not police for copyright/trademark infringement as that opens them up to a slipper slope of "why did you block X but not Y or Z?"

According to Copyright law, it's up to the holder to go after those infringing.

The only thing Apple has cleaned out is smut and (some of the) fart/poop apps.

5. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    Maybe a "warning list" about popular copyright/trademark, if the game name or content is on that list, you will need an official document to prouve that you're the owner.

My 5 cent idea.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    why should they play the police.. its not their task to monitor everyones elses copyright claims.. the appstore is like a flea market where apple provides the tables for.. but they are not the seller and surely won't check if this dvd this one guy sells is a copy or not..

as for the dbz product in question..

from the description it does not sound like a game at all.. its a news channel about all DBZ

i suppose you need a live internet connection to use the app which.

in the end you can't argue with or against the stupidity of kids who buy such apps.. maybe they learn a lesson..

but the app no matter if it infringes or not.. is definatly in the wrong categories..

7. Vetasoft

Jul 27, 2010
    I thought of an approach like youtube.

8. Parogames

Parogames Active Member

Aug 24, 2011
    #8 Parogames, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
    After a week of research on rejected apps and ridiculous apps being published on apps store, the conclusion is it's totally up to Apple, they can ban you by just saying "I hate it", they can also let you pass without looking at all.
    They keep everything in secret, you never know how the review team works, they have guidelines that are basically saying "I do what I say so". Everything is completely random and depends on them, we all know this is ridiculous but Apple is the giant, you can't do anything in front of them.

They sure know many developers are complaining, for sure if they strictly enforce a set of rules on how apps are rejected and approved, we will be happy, but that will cost them extra resources and there are always grey zones in rules, so they might as well leave it, do whatever they like, and you can complain all day long, you aren't going to achieve anything.

9. flybird

flybird Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    All your problems go to Matt Casamassina who leads App Store feature system and decides which games to choose! Go kick his ass!

10. I have spoken to someone that had their app rejected due to copyright infringement. The copyright had nothing to do with Apple's products.