GTA:3 Mac... Maybe iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by lord-sam, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Rockstar has just released GTA:3 on Mac store and they plan Vice City at the end of the month and San Andreas at start of September.

Looks like they take the store seriously, so any hope of it coming to iOS? Would current hardware cope, or rumoured iPhone 5 hardware be good?

2. cyborg5000

cyborg5000 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    gta 3 on mac store. this i gotta check it up. the last game i bought from mac store is anomaly

3. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't think it's impossible for the games to be ported to iOS, however it being in the Mac store isn't an indication of it going to iOS.

A lot of Mac Store games that aren't on iOS.

4. bjornkeizers

bjornkeizers Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Besides, these Mac versions have been out for ages. I wouldn't read anything into it other then they think they can sell a few more copies.

You can buy Mac copies of San Andreas and Vice City right now at gamersgate.com, direct2drive and elsewhere.

I'd definitely recommend all three GTA games; great story lines and superb action.

5. matrixhunter

matrixhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    why arent the gta games in the mac app store instead of buying cd copies of them online

6. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    #6 dumaz1000, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    I don't believe the iPhone has the specs to run these type of games. Especially San Andreas. Just look at Gameloft's sandbox engine. There are some issues with glitches and graphical pop-in an poor draw distances. The models are poor too. So, I'm not sure it's even possible, technically. Even if it was, is Rockstar willing to go with the process of porting over these games only to turn around and sell them for 9.99 or less? with the infusion of Freeium gaming, I'm not sure even a port of GTA could reach the status of top grossing game if it comes with a premium price tag.

Every game that flourishes on the appstore these days either sells for .99c, or free. Even if they ported these games to iOS and sold them for 9.99, I'm not sure how well they would do. I suspect that San Andreas would do well. Very well. But out of these three games, San Andreas is the one that I percieve to be completely impossible. There is no way humanly possible to port that game to the iOS.

GTA 3 could not sustain sells on the appstore with a 14.99 pricetag. There would be an intial surge, without a doubt. But sells would decline rapidly. San Andreas could sell well for months at that price, but I just don't see it as even being possible.

7. chase123

chase123 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Pakistan,Karachi.
    So how could the PSP with inferior hardware handle GTA LC AND VC stories?:confused:

8. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    They did not release GTA:CW in my country so probably this won't be released either.

9. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I believe that even the 3rd gen iPod and 3gs would be able to handle GTA3 or the PSP Stories series just fine.

10. thethinice

thethinice Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Hawaii
    Im fairly certain that ios can handle a game like GTA 3. I think that the issue though would be porting the game. It could take some work. I believe though that if it was easily ported, I wouldn't see why Rockstar would'nt do it. I mean, that would be phenomenal, especially considering the fact that on a psp, GTA titles sold for 30-50 dollars. So even if they sold it for like 10 bucks, people would be all over that. I mean, they can't be that obnoxious.