OpenFeint Test users?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by egarayblas, Jun 24, 2010.

1. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

For those who have had OF integrated in your games, how were you able to add your beta testers as OF Test users? I noticed that its asking for the player's email and password but I don't think the beta testers will actually share their passwords for me to include them in the OF Test users section. I also don't feel comfortable asking them to create dummy/temporary accounts just for the beta. Any workaround? Ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    You can ask the testers to create a 2nd OF account, whose password would be shared with you. It's really not that big a deal, and I'm not sure why you wouldn't feel comfortable. Some might even be willing to just give you their password for their main OF account. Or you could even create a test account for them ready-to-use with new username/password.

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

my password goes to the dev in betas?
    oh sh*t

:p

4. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Presumably you are only worried about the highscores. Who cares if all your testers have all their achievements? You could always, at some point just before release, move to a different set of tables and hide all the ones used during the dev phase.

5. egarayblas

Thanks for your inputs guys. :)

No I'm not worried about the high scores. I'm just concerned about players who are "serious" about their OF accounts and achievement points (I know a lot who value this too much). Guess you're right, it wouldn't hurt to ask them about it--I just wanted everyone to test OF w/in my game to make sure all achievements are "achievable".

6. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I'm guessing the achievement obsessives won't object to having a few extra :)

The real issue is if they're testing while you have a bug that allows them to get a score of 99,999,999,999,999 or a time of 00:00.0001, that's when you'd want to delete their scores/times which is why I suggested heading the beta tables and moving to new ones on the day you submit to Apple.

7. egarayblas

I was wondering why I didn't get your suggestion the first time you mentioned it LOL. :)

Anyway, how do you switch tables in OF? Do I actually have to create a new app (w/in OF) and then transfer everything there?

8. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    No, when testing is finished, just generate a bunch of new tables then replace the score table IDs with the IDs for these new tables in your app. The originals can then be deleted or hidden. You can also hide tables from different numbered versions of your app but I haven't used that feature yet.

9. egarayblas

Gotcha! Thanks! :)