iPad FORTUNE STREET SMART - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 30, 2012.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I don't think so but I'm not sure...it's also hard to know what you mean by the full version as this game seems to be broken up into some 5 or so almost equal parts via the IAPs. Even more confusing is that besides the many characters you can buy in these IAP packs, there are several more that you simply unlock in game as you beat the various maps (not sure if they only come when beating maps from the core pack or from the IAP packs as well).

Such a shame they never made an iPad version of this as it would work so much nicer on a bigger screen.

2. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    #22 iPadisGreat, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    No. Those are restricted to the consoles, and that was also when I lost interest in iOS Fortune Street.

3. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Alrighty. Thanks for the replies, guys.

4. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    #24 korossyl, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    Alright, this is just crazy.

When I got my first iPhone a few years ago, and before I found TA, I looked for "serious" games just by searching for my favorite developers. I downloaded Fortune Street just because of its Square-Enix pedigree; I hadn't heard of it before, but a board game created by Yuji Horii has got to have SOMEthing! I found it both charming and engrossing, and for whatever reason, kinda fell in love with it. It's fallen on the backburner now and then, but still remains in the core half-dozen games that never leaves my phone.

When I finally upgraded to an iPhone 5 last month, I was a bit heartbroken that iOS 8 apparently causes a landscape-mode glitch that renders the game unplayable; portrait mode already cuts down on how much is visible, and it never received wide screen support, so the game was seriously impacted. So sad. S-E has had a notice on its site since October that they're aware of the problem, and to be patient. Meanwhile, there's the whole World Ends With You flap, where they've actually promised NOT to provide game-saving support for a major title. Fortune Street's dead in the water, right?

Last weekend, I decide I'ma send S-E a support email anyways, telling them of my love for this game and asking for any idea of when we might expect a fix (never, of course). I haven't gotten an answer yet... and then last night, the game gets its first update in THREE YEARS, both addressing the glitch AND adding widescreen support.

I'm just floored; I'd hardly expect something like this from a small, private developer, to say nothing of the behemoth that is Square-Enix. I'm equal parts shocked and euphoric.

Well... there's a moral in there, someplace, about squeaky wheels getting grease, or something like that. If you haven't given Fortune Street a shot, it's free to try, and has only expansion-type (and no consumable) IAP. Although it's pretty expensive to buy all of the DLC, you can really get a complete, premium game by buying just one or two of the packs. The production values are high, the characters flavorful, and the gameplay mechanics solid. And, shockingly, above all -- it's never looked better!

5. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    With the update, I replayed it on my iPad Air, and man I forgot how great this game was.
    I always loved Monopoly like games, and this one is so good.
    Now that it scales well and has good graphics, it is back on my best games page.
    I may even buy some of the DLCs when I'm fed up with the 4 or 5 maps I have. :)

6. dedyp79

dedyp79 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Never know this game before until shaun made the article about an update from square-enix...thanks shaun, i am addicted by this game now...play on ipad and bought all iap which make the gameplay more fun.

7. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    So what do you guys use your currency winnings for?
    I just hoard it not knowing what to buy with it yet.
    I won an epic 4 hours game (99999 coins objective or 3 bankrupt players win) where I came back from 4th and gradually and aggressively bought back properties at 5x to cut the monopolies of other players :)

8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    lol that's so pro. I played my first match and after leading for a while.. slowly and slowly dropped further and further back then I gave up. I even bought out properties but I didn't have enough money to pass through the board.

9. korossyl

korossyl Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2013
    It makes me so happy to see this board alive again. :)

The "gift" is a new outfit for Aya, the menu/tutor character. You go through about half a dozen different looks before it reverts back to the original. The new characters aren't really worthwhile, I think, and neither are the items -- they feel too much like cheating. I've bought the smaller trophy for 2k, and am saving up for the big one at 10k. If you're not a trophy/achievement completionist, then I guess the gifts are probably the best thing to buy, just for the sake of variety.

I had a four hour game once, on the same victory conditions... I think it was on the Hemisphere map. It came down to just me and Maya on about our 30th lap, each with over $80,000. Every time we landed on each other's property we'd buy it out, regardless of the cost. It was a long, slow game that I'd rather not repeat. Yeah, it really was epic, slowwwwwwly tilting the game to my favor. That's the first and the last time I played that kind of game. :D

What really makes the game, for me, are the characters and the boards. They add a really wonderful amount of unique flavor to the game that is simply absent, really, from any other board game I can think of. I play on Japan, Mountain, Bunnyland, Festival, and Skyline, mostly, with a good mix of characters.

I'm still too afraid to try a round with two A players, though.

10. Thefrothunder

Thefrothunder New Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Male
    Did you ever figure out how to acheive the panda award?