Galactic Keep by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    Everytime I come to this thread I get a bit more agrivated. I am angry guys! You may find yourselves asking, "Why K7A7O7S, why are you so angry?" And I would then reply "Because guys, I am not playing Galactic Keep right now!"

Im j/k, this is gonna be bad @$$. I cant friggin wait. Keep up all of the hard work.

2. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    That's awesome. Thank you! I was going to buy the game anyway, but now I'll probably have to buy it twice. ;)

3. boynamedluke

boynamedluke Member

Aug 3, 2009
    release!

any news on a release date?

keep up the good work, I love the style.

4. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

We're still saying early next year for release. We're considering some 'other options' for development and release based on the flexibility of the platform so we'll be sure to keep you updated on that (possible 'smaller stories' that are launched before the release of the full game that tie into it). No promises, but it's something we're thinking about.

Thought I'd throw this out there: if there's anything you're interested in knowing about the game in general (or the game world), feel free to ask and we'll do our best to answer here.

5. gildedskull

Things are coming along well with Galactic Keep, this week we've been focusing on developing and filling out some of the core missions. Here's a screen showing part of one of the new maps we've just created for a mission titled (tentatively) 'Mhawot Station Massacre'.

[​IMG]

In the mission, you stop at a outpost station to gather supplies on your way to the large planet it's orbiting. You soon find that something is awry on the station and you can choose to check it out or move on.

Here's a section of the mission that occurs soon after gaining clearance and landing on the outposts main platform. Close to where you landed your ship, you see a leather bag on the ground near a small opening in the deck plating and you decide to reach down and pick it up:

As you do so, there’s a whine and a shutter as the plating near the opening curls up slightly. You move closer to see what looks like some sort of creature underneath but you can’t tell what it is. It must be pretty strong to bend the plating like that.

DECISION 12a) Take the bag 12b) Leave it alone and back away

D12a) You yank the bag toward you as the plating is wrenched upward and is torn from the deck and hurtled into space. The creature begins to stand and you realize it’s a ‘FORLORN’. These massive beasts can fold their limbs to get into very tight spaces.

Who knows how it got to the station. You’ve heard of these things hiding out on space debris and refuse without feeding for years at a time though. It’s probably starving. This particular specimen is abnormally huge once it has completely unfolded. It sizes you up then lunges in your direction!

...looks like there's going to be a fight. A tiny taste of the mood and story in GK: Dice Battles!

6. boynamedluke

boynamedluke Member

Aug 3, 2009
    reaction:

It gave me wood.

Can't wait to roll for initiative.

7. gildedskull

Hey!

Working on movers for the board/map.

We started with the first one, more generic and simple, geometric. We like the idea of it being so simple and 'representative' of the characters. We actually toyed with the idea of using a penny or a bottle cap (I've player RPGs with coins on many occasions).

The second one is an example of how we could show the race of the character on the token (with a profile portrait). Doing the mover this way has its advantages: the main one being that it's still 'real' looking and fits with the style of the game quite well.

The last one is more of a character 'sculpt' version. There would be one per race. Problem with this one is that in order to get the whole character we sacrifice the perspective (depending on the map being used). You are actually looking down at the map so to have this perspective could be weird.

Which one do you like?

[​IMG]

8. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I like the circle token with the race on it. I do think you should add the "sculpted" images as extras, though. The one in the picture looks really sweet.

9. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Agreed, but Those tokens look a little big for the map. I assume that zooming in will widen the rooms, leaving the tokens more to scale w/ real people in real rooms. I hope.

Also, are there parties, or is this a solo adventure? Sorry if this was already answered, but I'm on an iPhone, so it's tough to scour 13 pages of posts ;).

10. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    That's funny, icepulse asked exactly what what I was going to ask - I'm wondering if the token represents just one member of your party (so are there multiple tokens, each one showing a different member of your party) - or is it just one token for the whole party.

I like the 'generic' token best - but it only makes sense to me if it's representing the whole party. If I have to remember which party member each generic token is representing, then I think it's much more important to add in the portrait.

And while the sculpt is my least favorite, one possibility to consider would be having the option of different token choices, giving players the ability to choose any one of these styles. Of course, I'm sure that adds to the development time, so don't add time on my account.

To sum up, I think the generic is best, with the portrait necessary if there's going to be a token representing each member of your party.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I like the first one, with the symbol.

Maybe I've played too much Magic Realm. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. gildedskull

We are planning to launch the game with single character missions, meaning that there's no party (at least to start). The multiplayer will allow multiple players to link and play together, in this case the party will be represented as a token. The idea is that you pick your character (from characters you've unlocked etc.) and that's you. Missions are ballanced to accomidate one character on the map.

In multi, movement will be turn based (players take turns rolling to move). If there are decisions to be made, players vote and will roll if there's a tie. multi maps will be ballanced for the number of people in the party. Multiplayer (on the map) will be released as an update, FYI.

13. Ethansdad

Ethansdad Active Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Then I stand by my original suggestion - I prefer the generic tokens best.

When multiplayer comes along, we'll still be using that generic token, and I can see the characters in my party by looking at the card art.

14. gildedskull

I think that letting the player choose is probably the best idea :)

Having the option to decide whether you want the 'generic' token or the species token wouldn't be that difficult to implement. Like Ethansdad noted, the card with the character's portrait will be on-screen. Having a full character token is almost overkill.

The tokens are about to scale with the map, they are meant to look large as they're more of a 'representation' of the character. If there are multiple beings in a room, they would all sit against one another (if the room was small), they may break the wall and sit sort of half-in, half-out. It's supposed to feel kind of like a mover on a boardgame board (the example drelbs made, Magic Realm, illustrates well).

Funny, I hadn't thought of the Magic Realm token at all when designing this one! My thought was more "x marks the spot, you are HERE".

15. BadSanta

BadSanta Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Milan,Italy
    Umh the tokens looks good but the sculpt version doesn't fit with the game style,imo.

16. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #116 Devilishly Good, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    hmmm, I have to be the dissenting voice here and say I really like the idea of the sculpt...I am much more used to using miniatures in games...however, you are using a purely top down design...if only it was a 3/4 view

...so how about something like this...a sculpted coin...imo it looks more interesting than the sticker picture on a token...

[​IMG]

...just in case that doesn't show, here's the link to amazon.com
    amazon.com link

17. gildedskull

#117 gildedskull, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Looks good!

A 'relief' sculpted coin or mover could be cool. The best way to do one would be to actually sculpt the coin! I'm going to look into it.

18. gildedskull

Just finished working on a slew of new art, here's a sample:

[​IMG]

This is a 'HAVERLANE'. On its native planet it is a top-tier predator. It is favored as a pet and guard by some species and has been (unintentionally) re-introduced into the wild on some planets. Notable for it’s fierce demeanor and it’s ability to survive in highly toxic environments.

19. Mudkipz223

Mudkipz223 Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Atlantis
    Galactic Keep is looking awesome, and I love you're creating in-game things based on some of the users here. Good luck and it's an instant buy from me!

20. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yeah, that haverlane looks really awesome, reminds me of a bat

separated at birth...???

[​IMG]