How long does it take for an iOS app to be available after hitting release?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by weretiger, Sep 26, 2015.

1. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    It is my goal to release my app on Wed 9/30. It's currently approved by apple and in the status of Pending Developer Release. How long does it take to be published to the app store after I hit the release button in iTunes Connect? In other words, should I hit release on Tue if I want it released on Wed, or just wait till Wed morning?

2. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    FWIW, the iTunes connect help documentation has this to say about it.

"Your app version will then be live on the store pending the customary processing times."

Problem is, I have no idea what a customary processing time is...

3. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
  4. Skunkie

Skunkie Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Game Designer
    San Diego, Ca
    This is just going on the time frame for when we hit the "Publish" button for Skeletomb...

When you hit the publish the binary will go through processing for the App Store, which took about an hour. After which it goes into the "Ready for Sale" state. That means it's up on the App Store but it takes time for it to get into the store cache and be searchable. This took 4 hours for Skeletomb to be viewable on the App Store.

Our goal was to release at 9am PST, but it didn't end up going live until 11am PST on the 25th.

Everyone's experience can be slightly different and I obviously can't make any guarantees that you'll have a similar time frame.

Hope this was helpful in some way.

5. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks!

6. weretiger

Mar 14, 2009
  7. maynoam

maynoam Active Member

Jul 16, 2015
    It's a few hours from my experience, but, if you want to release on a specific date for each time-zone (i.e. 12:00 AM per time zone), you would set the availability to the date you want, and not use the 'manual release' option. I.e. click the 'release this version' button right now, but set your availability date to 9/30 beforehand.
    The 'processing' would be done now, but it will not appear/be available until your availability date.

On the other hand if you want it to release at the same absolute moment on Wednsday for the whole world, then use the 'release' button then and wait the few hours for processing (Though i've read some people say it can take up to 24 hours in some cases), and it's not exactly the same minute for each country.

Most of the common Thursday releases use the first option, whatever suits you.

8. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    #8 Blackharon, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    A little clarification: After the app is "ready for sale", anyone with the direct link (can be found on iTunesConnect) can install it. Always handy if you're indie and want to get that last "Launch Test After The App Store Mangles My Code (LTATASMMC)" test in.

9. PikPok

PikPok Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Wellington
    On average, 1-2 hours. Very occasionally (and therefore annoyingly), up to 24 hours.