Galaga Game- What would you like?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jordanmorganapps, Jan 5, 2012.

1. jordanmorganapps

Apr 13, 2011
    Developing
    Missouri
    Hey there guys,

I am currently developing a retro 8-bit Galaga shooter. I really miss these types of games, and designing the graphics has been a lot of fun. To make this game fun, I thought I would go directly to the users. That said...

What would you, as the gamer, like to see in a game like this? I will make sure to work your ideas directly into the app.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It has to have a proper retro feel, blocky pixel type graphics, think it would be bad if theres smooth 'new' style graphics. Would be nice to have a game with a mix, a bit like the classic Gorf.

Eg on the first level its like Galaxians/Galaga, second level an asteroids type game, 3rd level like Space Invaders and so on. If it had a mix of different retro classics (and had retro graphics) it should be good.

But seen too many where people mess about with the graphics and in my view it just doesnt work

3. MitchNied

MitchNied Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Would really love to see some nice crisp vibrant Graphics, also a game like this definately needs a good control Scheme! Put me down for testing when you are ready! :)

4. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I would recommend you try to distinguish yourself from established competitors, such as the excellent Warbird and Namco's Galaga 30th Anniversary, as much as possible. Study Galaxian-inspired arcade & home computer classics to figure out why they work. Try to introduce variety by slightly altering the game mechanics between levels. Don't go crazy on the amount of power-ups, each one should serve a clear and definite purpose.

5. jordanmorganapps

Apr 13, 2011
    Developing
    Missouri
    Well thanks so much for the input- I read it all and completely started over at the drawing board.

That is to say, I have come up with something entirely different. I think you all are going to love it.

Here is a teaser screen. And don't worry about the aesthetics, I am staying true to 8-Bit pixel from the NES days. I am drawing them all piece by piece.

[​IMG]

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    It would have to control well on the touch screen.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    That screenshot looks good, NES style graphics would be superb for this but as the guy above pointed out, its all down to the controls

8. jordanmorganapps

Apr 13, 2011
    Developing
    Missouri
    I agree. Many good concepts are lost on controls with iOS devices. I am of the believe that people experience iOS controls differently, and for this reason, I am implementing 3 different control schemes that the user can choose from at anytime in the pause menu. They can even configure the lay out of the buttons if that's the scheme they choose.

9. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    What I meant was, not so much as whether it be accelerometer, a button on each side, or whatever configuration, as much as HOW WELL those work in terms of on-screen reaction in the game. Think of the disappointment of Galaga Remix. Looked great like the old days, offered the three configurations, but came up really short when the controls just sucked! Slow, jittery, and lots of us were really bummed because we were expecting fluid controls. We didn't get that and that ruined it completely. That's what I'm talking about.

10. jordanmorganapps

Apr 13, 2011
    Developing
    Missouri
    I haven't played that game, I am going to buy it just to see what you are referring to so I can make sure not to repeat the same mistakes. Being an indie dev, this is my most ambitious title and I am taking every step to make sure it will rock everyones face off.