Adventure To Fate - A Quest To The Core (A Dungeon RPG)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Touchmint, Sep 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #1 Touchmint, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2014

Note: I will keep this thread as an archive but for new info on the release version of the game checkout the live ta thread.

This is a development journal for my unnamed, upcoming iphone/ipad game.

This will be my first game produced on the ios (iphone/ipad) platform. I have worked on quite a few mud rpgs as a content developer but never a programmer so I plan to use this as a learning experience.

About: The game will be a dungeon/rogue like rpg with influence from many games from my past as well as some current ios games.

Scope: I will start building this game as a simple turn based arena rpg (your character vs enemies). This game will now include exploration of a dungeon. Your challenge is to reach the bottom... if there is one... (jk there is one ;))

I am looking to build 25-50 floors depending on how complex I design each one. Some floors will contain challenges / puzzles. Floors might be as simple as killing the boss at the end to get a key or as hard as navigating traps in the dark while encountering tedious random encounters.

Out of Scope: If time allows I will still give the user the ability to edit/create content such as items, npcs and skills/spells. I am now unsure of the extent of this during release time but there will be some amount available. this will still happen in updates.

I will be updating this blog/post with images and videos of game play as I complete them. This project has become my main focus and I am working on it full-time. I am striving hard to have this released on the app store by xmas shutdown.

The full progress journal will be posted on my website:
    www.adventuretofate.com

Here is an updated video of where I am at with development at the moment. (3-27-14)

Screens for those who cant or dont want to view the video!

Battle Screen (Updated 3-16-14)
    [​IMG]

World View (Updated 3-16-14)
    [​IMG]

Item Color System (Updated 4-9-14)
    [​IMG]

Character Creation System (Updated 4-9-14)
    [​IMG]

Feel free to post questions or suggestions!!!

2. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #2 Touchmint, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Just finished touching up character creation. Here is a screen of how its looking so far. Keep in mind this is an early prototype and I will be tinkering here and there pretty much nonstop.

(Updated 3-16-14)
    [​IMG]

Edit: Here is a short video of the full character creation process (keep in mind still a work in progress)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTIRePtRhk

(not sure how to upload videos and too out of it to figure it out tonight will try to post a direct video tomorrow).

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I enjoyed Dungeon Maker 2 a lot, so i hope this becomes a new fix for making dungeons and clearing them. :)

4. PartTimeEvil

PartTimeEvil Well-Known Member

Very cool. Kind of reminds me of how iBlast Moki 2 had that simple level sharing function. If it works that well, this will be fun to share levels with people.

5. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #5 Touchmint, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Thanks for the interest and yes it should be very cool!

My first goal is to build content for say the first 10-20 levels (includes npcs, skills/spells, items, etc..). This way even if the user chooses not to use the "build your own content" system there will still be a pretty full game for them.

Once I have completed the first task I will polish up the build your own content system so it is user friendly. It is going to be quite the challenge to allow users to build their own npcs, skills and items without totally balancing the game. Although there will be no restrictions on how you build things I will try to guide the user to balance things.

For example say you want to create a level 5 npc monster. You will put in the level for the monster and it will auto fill stats (gold, exp, attributes, etc). You can still change all these stats but there will be some guidance if you want it.

Once I have the first two tasks accomplished I will work on creating a sharing center. I envision the sharing center as a place where you can upload/download items, npcs, skills, etc from the community. This last part is a ways off and there is a chance the game will be initially released without this feature but this is the endgame goal.

Just a heads up that I have been updating the progress jounal on my website. I will be posting daily updates on there and weekly content summaries on here.

The full progress journal will be posted on my website: www.adventuretofate.com

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Sounds like a cool idea to me!

7. Rafy211

Rafy211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Unicorn Land
    Wanna bump this because this is a really cool idea, any idea for a release date?

8. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #8 Touchmint, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    @JCho133 Thanks for the support hopefully it turns out great.

@elisemelco seems cool I will be checking that out once I get closer to completion.

Thanks for the support and interest! Still no idea on the release date but I am working at it every day. I am a one man team so things will take longer for me. I will try to give you a rundown of what I have completed as well as what I what I still need to finish.

Completed:
    Database (Account > (characters (inventory, spell book), npcs, skills, items, rooms))
    Creation pages for characters, npcs, skills, items. (The players and I can create and edit any npc, skill or item.) (still needs polished for user interaction)
    Shop and inventory are fully functional. You can buy/sell equip/unequip use, drop etc...
    Combat page / training arena page. You can select and summon any monster from the database as well as attack using certain spells/skills (physical, magic, healing).
    All art is complete as well

Still Working on:
    User interface (right now its just functional but looks horrible haha.
    Buff and debuff skills as well as polishing effects
    Room/movement system
    Gaining or buying skills (not sure what I am going to go with)
    Sound
    More interface work!!!
    Content development. (while I will allow the user to create content I want to give them a good base so its still a fun game even if the user does not create their own content.)

So thats a rough idea of what I got ahead of me I would like to think I am over halfway complete (its taken me about a month to get to this stage). The only problem is I keep running into feature creep so we will see. Once I have all the code completed and just content creation is left things should go pretty fast.

9. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #9 Touchmint, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Implemented a few more features such as stamina, resistance and dodge. Polished up the attack effects as well as some of the timers displaying the progress bars and whatnot.
    added a 2 more quick slots and converted the hard coded "attack" action to a skill so you can move it around on the quick bar if needed.

Here is a little video of the update changes. Video shows most stuff working such as character creation, shop, inventory and battle screen. Keep in mind this is not anywhere close to the final design but just a place holder until I finish the code side.

Edited out video (check the site archive)http://www.adventuretofate.com

Also updated the webpage blog with some more details.

The full progress journal will be posted on my website:
    www.adventuretofate.com

Feel free to ask any questions or post comments thanks!

10. Rafy211

Rafy211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Unicorn Land
    I really like the look of the game and it seems cool. Keep up the great work! :D

11. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #11 Touchmint, Oct 21, 2013
    Sorry about the update delay but I have been working very hard at the game and have made tons of progress. I had been doing quite a bit of work on the back end optimizing and getting rid of some bugs.

The game is looking a lot more complete and most of the major game functions are in working order. Things will still be tweaked with the game elements but hopefully by watching the video below you can get an idea of where I am going with the game.

Here are my update notes from my blog as well.

UPDATE 9 (10-10-13) HUGE update!!! rooms and movement added game plot and goals defined

Details: Room creation and movement within rooms has been completed (this helped shape the game plot/goals)
    1. Touch to move along a 25 cell grid (for each floor)
    a. The game will consist of multiple floors the goal for the player is to go deeper and deeper into the dungeon. (find loot, battle monsters, levelup)
    b. The first floor will be a castle/town/safe setting. There will be shops, quest givers, library (for spells).
    c. Dungeon floors will contain random encounters, bosses, treasure chests, puzzles, warp points, traps, dark/hidden rooms, etc.

Below is a video just giving a glimpse into movement and game settings. You will also see level ups, skill gains, monster drops, etc. Leveling is at an accelerated pace.

Keep in mind design and writing has not really even begun so looks will change for the better.

12. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Small update on the project.

Fixed a few bugs (skills and movement)
    Added features to equipment / attack system (block chance, crit chance/dmg, stuns/freezes, poisons/burns/infections and multi hit). Working on vamp effects next.
    Adding these features to skills tonight as well as belt slots (think d2 better belts = holding more potions in combat).

Also getting close to a series name. (Depending on how well recived I have quite a few other ideas for expansion / spinoff games). I need to secure the .com and app name before I make it official.

Also also getting everything inline for a beta test. This is still a ways off but I am a 1 person team so I will need quite a bit of help testing.

13. arrow123

arrow123 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    If it supports iPod touch 4g, I would love to beta test

14. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix

Ive written it in pure objective-c and made sure it could support back to ios 4.3 so you should be good! The game is not super demanding so theres no reason I shouldn't be able to support very old devices.

Again it will be atleast into nov before testing happens but I will get you added to the list thanks for the support!

15. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #15 Touchmint, Oct 24, 2013
    Just a little progress update

UPDATE 10 (10-24-13) Added special effects to items, battle indicators and sharpened images

Details: Added various special effects to items
    1. blocking (shields have a chance to block whole attacks)
    a. block chance
    2. leech/vamp (items, and certain races[vampire race] give players a chance to drain an amount of hp or sp from monsters on attacks)
    a. HP leech rate
    b. SP leech rate
    3. poison (items, and certain classes[thief] give players a chance to poison monsters)(every round until poison is over monsters will take damage)
    a. poison chance
    b. poison damage
    c. poison duration
    4. stunning (items, and certain classes[knight] give players a chance to stun monsters)(monsters cant attack while stunned)
    a. stun chance
    b. stun duration
    5. crit (items and all races/classes have their set crit chance and crit damage rates)(example thief has a 5% chance to crit. crit damage is 1.6x normal damage)
    a. crit chance
    b. crit damage

Details: Added battle indicators
    1. poison (when monster is poisoned name turns green and poison icon is shown)
    2. stun (when monster is stunned name turns gray and stun icon is shown)
    3. battle log box at the bottom of the screen (buggy in ios7 but should be fixed soon) if it not will be removed

Details: Sharpened Images
    1. Upscaled images from 16x16 and 24x24 to 64x64 and 96x96 without sharpness loss (images look quite a bit better)(file size will still be small).

Here is a small video showing some of the new combat features.

16. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #16 Touchmint, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Big update this week as well as some general game news.

I finally decided on a game name as well as got a website up for the game. The website is very new but hopefully this weekend I will have a little more time to get it polished up.

www.adventuretofate.com

Below are details on the latest update:

UPDATE 11 – Added and polished skills

Details: Added and polished up quite a few spells. (these are still a work in progress name and formula wise but the programming and implementation is pretty much completed.)

Knight
    Slash - A weak physical attack with chance to stun
    Rage - A buffing skill that raises strength and critical damage
    Swing - A strong swinging attack with backlash
    Defend - A buffing skill that raises AC and block chance
    Sacrifice - A skill that drains your HP to heal SP
    Berserk - A buffing skill that raises strength and stun rounds
    Crush - A physical attack with a good chance to stun
    Blood Bath - A strong physical attack that leeches HP

Wizard
    Spark - A lighting damaging spell
    Frozen Shield - A weak protection spell
    Flare - A fire damage spell
    Inner Focus - Drains HP to gain SP
    Fire Ring - A ring of fire that hits all enemies
    Brilliance - Increases wisdom and SP recovery and lowers fizzle chance
    Thunder - A spell with a high chance of stun
    Shatter - A debuffing spell that lowers enemy strength agility and wisdom

Rogue
    Stealth - A buffing skill that raises agility and grants an extra stamina
    Stab - A physical attack with a large random factor
    Blind - A debuffing skill that lowers enemy agility
    Poison Tip - A weak physical attack that applies poison
    Shadow Strike - A strong physical and magical attack
    Assassins Brew - A buffing skill that raises poison abilities
    Assassinate - An all out physical attack
    Shadow - A morphing and buffing spell

Cleric
    Cure - A minor healing spell
    Divine Strike - A lighting damage spell
    Righteous Mind - A wisdom buffing spell
    Soul Leech - A HP leeching spell
    Holy Armor - A protection spell
    Aid - A major healing spell
    Extend Life - A buffing spell which adds extra HP
    Archangel - A morphing and buffing spell

Druid
    Dire Wolf - A morphing and buffing spell
    Natures Strike - A physical attack that poisons
    Regenerate - A spell that heals both HP and SP after each round
    Grizzly Bear - A morphing and buffing spell
    Feral Strike - A strong physical attack
    Quake - A large damaging spell that hits all
    Stunning Strike - A stunning attack
    Yeti - A morphing and buffing spell

This is a rough idea of what the skills/spells will look like. Naming, descriptions, and value balancing is still going on but most of these skills / spells are coded and working in game. I will be adding 1-3 more skills per class before release depending on balancing and what not.

Once I polish up the effects and balance them a little more I will try to post a video previewing a few classes.

17. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    That looks really interesting.

Please tell me its a premium price point and no planned iap?

Day one buy if so :p

18. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    #18 Touchmint, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    Thanks for the interest I've been working on the code nonstop and really have not thought much about price. My initial plans were to release it totally free no ads but back then it was a different (much shorter) game. I have invested quite a bit of time and money into the game so I will be looking for some way to recoup but it won't be a pay to win deal. No promises but it could be the following

Free with ads pay to remove ads

.99-2.99 no ads or iap

Free regular edition paid gold edition (more classes races and the ability to create your own content(items,skills/spells,npcs) as well as the ability to edit mine.

There's a slim chance I might do it like knights of pen and paper I feel like you can still play and beat the game easily but if you would like to buy gold to speed up the process or get cosmetic items that's fine too.

When I get closer to release I will be sure to survey those interested and go with what's popular

Thanks again for the question. Feel free to ask anything else!

19. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    This looks really cool. I'm hoping this game will do great when it comes out :D

20. Touchmint

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Over the last week or so I have been working heavily creating/coding and balancing skills. I decided that some of these skills were a little too generic and lacked excitement so I rewrote quite a few of them. For example the druid and rogue classes were both focusing heavily on poisons. I decided to shift gears (and stop being lazy) and make druids a true morphing class. I coded and implemented morphing and working pretty well right now. Besides AoE (attacking more than 1 target at once all skills are working and bug free that I know of).

In the next few days I will be posting a preview video for each of the classes outlining and explaining their skills. Right now each class has 8 or so skills/spells I might be adding a few more once I get these first 8 balanced but this is at least a good start.

After class skill balancing is complete I have a few other minor and 1 major coding part before I get started on actual content development and app design.

My goal is to have major coding complete in 1-2 weeks and start beta testing by the end of nov. I would love to release before xmas and since I am now working on iOS development full-time I think that is doable.

The game is coming along great (honestly I didnt think I would make it this far haha). There has been tons and tons of feature creep but I made sure I did everything right so expansion should be rather easy and building other rpgs on the game engine I created will be pretty easy (just content development and design changes).

I am however undecided on whether to cut back on the amount the player can create / edit because of balancing issues. Because so much has gone into development and balancing it wouldn't make sense to allow the user to edit or create certain parts of the game such as rooms/design. I do however plan on letting the user create/edit items once they have completed the game and maybe spells/npcs but the last two might just be in an update. I will have a full game here containing about 25 levels of skills/items/monster and about 20-50 floors in the dungeon depending on how complex I make the puzzles within each floor.

Any feedback would be great and if you have interest to test please let me know.