Videoing the iPhone in action? Tips?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by karlth, Jul 14, 2009.

1. karlth

karlth Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Iceland
    I'm about to make a small Youtube video of the gameplay. Instead of capturing a video from the Simulator I want to use a simple digital camera to video the game.

Any tips on lightning and setup?

2. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Use a tripod if possible ;) and make sure to have good lighting and don't over use the anntonation at YouTube. That is what kill a lt of ideo of gameplay for me so yea also no outside noise, make the video or film it in a quiet area.

3. Hunnenkoenig

Hunnenkoenig Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    For my reviews I use a dark room, because in my experience the iPhone filmed by a camera looks only good in the dark. Othervide you have the mirroring images.

Just push the brightness a bit up, so you can see dark parts of the app too.

I make my videos vith my regular Sony Photo camera and it's good enough for YouTube. If you want high quality video, amybe you should use a real video camera, but I don't think it's necessary for web marketing.

It will be scaled down anyways.

4. jetpacker

jetpacker Member

Jul 9, 2009
    you have two options basically. dark room so that your phone is the only thing visible. make sure to go to settings and turn the autobrightness off bc if you don't on most cameras the screen will show up as bright white (unless you have manual controls for aperture). or you can do it in a normal environment. i did both and when we did normal lighting we had really bad glare issues and ended up using an anti-glare film on the ipod which worked out perfect.