Universal Pocket Planes by NimbleBit - Join Flight Crew #TouchArcade

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 13, 2012.

1. thefantasyicon

thefantasyicon Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I so need an I Phone!

2. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    No argument. Lots to learn here.

Now for the fact that I really liked the article for it clearly pointed out that PP simply appeals to a different demographic in terms of age, preference, time & personality.

Age: I can imagine a youngish child playing TT or PF but can't see him getting anything but frustrated playing PP. I can definitely see teenagers & adults having the knowledge & patience to define a strategy & test it out but I can also see many dropping by the wayside.

Preference: TT, like PF, is a low to no frustration or risk game. They present little if any confusion & have a colorful, fun interface & game play. I began both games without reading any FAQs & enjoying the experience. Very small learning curve.

Time: If you don't build a floor in TT or stock your stores right away, no biggie. Same with PF. PP, IMO, requires a greater attention to detail & amount of time to make any meaningful progress. And lots of mistakes along the way, as the analysis pointed out. I made most of them!

Personality: I see PP appealing to a more competitive bunch, indeed the game is set up specifically to highlight & appeal to those qualities in the player!

Back when the NB announced this game, what resonated with me was the most advanced poster on the TA PF Forum said, "Not for me!" And you know what? She doesn't play. You'd think a NB devotee would gravitate to any new game they released but she, & others as pointed out in the article, felt it diverged too much from what they enjoyed about PF & TT games: relative simplicity, non-punitive game play.

I learned the game because I was still assisting people on the NB Forum & I felt I needed to at least learn the basics. But for that, I most likely would have taken a pass. I definitely see myself in the "casual player" the author describes.

Although I don't agree with some of the stuff he proposes (limiting choices, not showing planes you can't get, etc.), I do feel that his article has validity in terms of comparing the two games & showing how some people who loved earlier NB games, might not like this one. No one game is the best, they're simply different.

Feel free to disagree.

My 2 bux

3. vicsark

vicsark Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2011
    The article made indeed many valid points in August.
    Apparently, NB didn't make a lot of real $Bux with PP, at least compared to their best seller TT.
    I guess the difficulty curve was a bit too high for many of the TT casual players, and they were more prone to just quit than buy their way up.
    The pb being, if you don't "get" the game, throwing money at PP won't really help.
    And as we've seen, with a good strategy, you don't need in app purchase at all, unless to thank NB for a great game.

The cuteness and attention to details I expected from NB, but I'm impressed by the depth of PP.

Never played PF though.

4. Harmoniamundi

Harmoniamundi Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Teacher/Musician
    Ohio
    My seven year old son plays PP. I'm sure he doesn't grasp the depth of the game, but he can fly planes and earn profit. He just watched me play a few times before he wanted to play, and the game contains many graphical hints such as the city name flashing on the map if their is cargo or people to be delivered there...helps out the little ones. He doesn't even get mad when I "hijack" his game to earn some more Concorde parts lol

5. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    Smart little fellow :)
    They made it difficult not to earn any money. The pb would be more of buying the wrong planes or airports and getting kind of stuck I guess. Hopefully Daddy's here ;)

my 2 year old wanted "a plane" for Christmas, I don't think I should play when she's around ;)
    And recently, I let her touch the fly button once the plane is ready, and I painted a few planes with her... guess what, pink! D'oh

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Woohoo! I'm officially in last place worldwide. I am ranked 1,424,071st! :D

Very interesting little game. I hadn't heard of it previously, but I just downloaded it, and it's all right. :)

7. SuperPenguin17

SuperPenguin17 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Welcome. It's a fun game indeed.

Happy flying.

8. vicsark

Aug 22, 2011
    Just started the NY event on my alt game, 164 crew members for TA1 :)

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Haha thank you. :p

I think I might have to delete and restart, though. I was unaware the planes could only fly a certain distance... I chose Europe as my starting place, and I was getting barely any money! So I decided to open up Denver and see if some planes could fly there and make me some more monies.

Well unfortunately none of my planes can make that trek. So I have to buy cities on the way there, and I don't even think any of my planes will make it over the ocean. :(

Sooo... I've basically lost all my money, am in a perpetual loop to earn 100 coins per flight, and at this rate, I will have enough money to open those cities for a path to the US in just under 3 years of real playtime.

I sure hope my UDID isn't tied to my statistics :\

10. alyssacroacia

alyssacroacia Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Personal Assistant
    USA
    I don't know if anyone else has already brought this up...I was sort of...MIA for awhile, but...

Has anyone noticed that more global event NY jobs come from LA than any other airport?

(London/Tehran/Tokyo)

11. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    New jobs for a given destination are more likely to be generated from airports closer to that destination than from those further away.

12. Angelxz

Angelxz Active Member

Jul 19, 2012
    USA
    Don't give up! Open an airport near Denver.
    Take one of your plane and put in your hanger.
    Pay the amount of bux to fly it again and place it Denver or the near by airport you just bought. Try that and if that works for you. Also collect every bux job you see. Those things add up and have sweet payouts the more you collect.

Hope that helps!

13. green_paper

green_paper Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Vancouver
    When starting off, filling a plane with jobs to the same destination to achieve the 25% bonus is really important.

You can also choose to close an airport, as you will receive roughly half the "opening costs" back in coins.

However, if you haven't made too much progress, don't hesitate to reset. :)

14. thefantasyicon

Jan 7, 2013
    Well not on android! I tried opening Mex. City LA and Chi to use the theory that closer generates more and max upgraded all to no avail. 90% of my 2500 have come from over seas...the majority from Shang Hai, Xian and Tokyo. Just my thoughts!:D

15. echastain1977

echastain1977 Member

Jan 10, 2013
    ATL
    Hey Fantasy, what Concorde part are you looking for?

16. Andrwsc

Andrwsc Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Endgame: completing individual events

Has anybody completed all 44 individual events yet?

I have six more to go, so every 12 hours I eagerly anticipate the refresh on the event list, hoping to catch one of these. Bit of a letdown when I don't get it...

A couple of days ago I was quite pleased at myself for delivering 1000 Pumpkinfest jobs to Cincinnati (class 1 city) in 9 hours, and then it showed up in Tokyo (class 3) the next day!

I'm not sure what I'll do after that; it would feel like I have completed the game. What say you? What would you do (or what do you already do) after completing these events?

17. Train2000

Train2000 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Hey Strangers!!
    I love it when someone else catches the excitement that comes with working on he 44 events. It's more satisfying then working the global event for me (no offense TA1 crew :) ).

Just a bit of my PP history for any newbies...I progressed to level 51, had 30 plane slots, 5000+ bux and 20MM coin. I finished all 44 events and waited through a handful of updates looking for additional events to be added to no avail. In fact to add insult to injury, there's now the 12 hour glitch associated with the 44 events that makes every event last 12 hours even if its listed as a 24 hour duration event.

So I sent my iphone account one of every rare plane I had and reset my game. I'm now back to level 28 and I spend most of my time working the 44 events when they pop up at cities near my established route.

For any Nimblebit personal that might still be lurking on this message board please consider fixing the 24 hour event glitch and add more 1000 job events for us. In pocket towers new events show up for special events like holidays and such, can't we do that in PP for the 1000 job events and not just the global event?

Happy flying everyone.

18. thefantasyicon

Jan 7, 2013
    #12338 thefantasyicon, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    I have the controls and body missing the engine. I'm prob going to just trade them and whatever I get for the event because I need sequoias and can't get the sequoia K parts to drop. I'm on day 6 of looking for them. Heck I would even be willing to pay the fulfill 142 bucks for them!

TRAIN-I tried working them but for some reason I don't get credit for almost any of the tasks so I stopped.

19. lisianne

lisianne Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Somewhere else
    Didn't make a lot of bux because, as you noted, the "difficulty curve" (plus the weird logic pointed out in the analysis [i.e. bigger planes don't necessarily make more $$ unless one is highly disciplined & has a strategy] doesn't work for many. My fingernails are frayed but still hanging on.

IMO you're right, it's not a matter of "throwing money" at the game -- you NEED a strategy. Simple concept but confusing to actual concoct one (barring the reading of this forum, that is!) Previously NB gamers, playing other games, didn't need a strategy, just patience. There's a huge difference.

Futher, cute in TT is wherever you look. Cute in PP is a random plane flying upside down. So, yes, PP has depth but TT has the cuteness factor in spades (among other things).

As for PF for you, I dunno. Great forum. Inordinately generous people. Mild to moderate strategy. Still, if you're into really challenging, heart-thumping competition games. doubt it's for you. And THIS in spite of the fact that I have enjoyed PF over the years (yes, years -I'm not even a serious player!).

This is exactly the type of player referenced in the article who, without guidance, might give up altogether.

Understand (& this is a real compliment), this forum is composed of truly unique people who have the dedication, persistence, logic, & wherewithal to experiment with various strategies in a scientific way which makes them über-players.

Enormous respect for the brainpower in this group.

20. echastain1977

echastain1977 Member

Jan 10, 2013
    ATL
    Let me know what you want to do when the event ends. I am in need of a body but just have a control to trade. I can keep an eye out for Seq M parts for you as well.