Idea for making these forums more useful

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by Modjular, May 10, 2017.

1. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    I think a problem right now is that anyone looking for help on TA has to post on a forum where their question is usually buried in the pages. Or they're looking for impressions from other people, which might be buried in the forum pages too. Just personally, I've posted a thought-out review in the hopes of getting others to check out the game. But a few pages later, a person asks for impression and its completely understandable that they didn't check through all the pages beforehand.

I was lurking around BoardGameGeek, and like TA, they're a big gathering place to find games. But on TA, a game's page has always just been the description and screenshots lifted from the store page, and then maybe a few pages of forum-talk if people have questions or random comments. On BGG, there are pictures and descriptions, but then there is also a "review" section, a "videos" section, and then they have a forum for miscellaneous questions and such. And the forum itself isn't just one thread, anyone can start a thread to ask a question and they're displayed like a forum-subsection.

People have been talking about how to make TA more relevant now that the app might be obsolete. I think giving the community more ways to give back through reviews and questions, thereby giving randoms more useful content to browse, is a good way to make TA more relevant.

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

We're working on migrating to XenForo which should allow us to do more things when it comes to intelligently highlighting good forum content in other places. Like a lot of stuff on the front page, our hands have been pretty tied when it comes to doing/changing very much as it will break the app. One of the up-sides of the app dying soon is we finally can upgrade to modern stuff without worrying about endlessly reverse engineering it to make the app still think it's connecting to a five year old version of VBulletin.

3. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Didn't realize so much went into making the ap run smoothly. I'll definitely miss it, but when one door closes another opens right?

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Hopefully. ;)