Audacity squared!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SpriteAttack, Oct 8, 2010.

1. SpriteAttack

SpriteAttack Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    Male
    I have posted this before and I know I am just venting as there is not much I can do about this dirtbag stealing my game for the THIRD time...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle-wars/id390841755?mt=8

but I am just so pissed off with the audacity and the fact that apple does not give a shit about the whole thing...

Takes the fun out of making games...

2. RevolvingDoor

RevolvingDoor Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Hello, I think I remember you posting about this before! Have you considered purchasing the thing and leaving a 1-star review that states; "this is an unauthorized copy of my title, search the store for 'title name' if you want the real deal instead of giving your money to this scumbag thief?"

I don't know if that sort of approach will solve the problem entirely, but I would imagine it might help to some extent. Good luck!

3. GnarKill

GnarKill Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    UI Engineer
    Bay Area
    I would attempt to get ahold of someone in Developer Relations. If you can prove it was your game first then I'm sure they will be willing to assist you.

4. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Did they actually steal any tangible intellectual property (art, sounds, original source code trademark infringements etc..?), or is it just the game idea and mechanics?

5. SpriteAttack

May 11, 2009
    Male
    @Gnarkill - I am constantly emailing them... as this is the 4th version of the game I am trying to get off the store. All previous ones have been produced by the same team called 'Attack Touch'. The annoying thing is that they just pop out a new version as soon as I get the old one taken off and apple approves yet another version with just the name changed.

@Phi6 - It's 100% stolen art. The previous 3 versions just used ripped art from my flash game while in the newest attempt they 'modified' the art by simply turning it into black and white.

I finally got a reply from the developer and it's a cracker as they claim to have created all the art in the game by their 'design team' and ask me to be understand as they 'have been more then respectful to you to ensure you would be pleased as it is our companies goal to operate with high standards of customer support.' Oh well - I think that was the wrong text block they pasted in there. As all they do is show utter disrespect for other peoples hard work...

It's just plain frustrating... and I really can't see how they think it's ok to just grab and rip art as if it's free.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

hmm what exaclty is your involvement ?

can you show links of youre app and theirs who ripped youre art?

are you sure youre art is ripped. looking for example at tumble jumble the
    tile design looks like a ripoff from ngmocos topple..

at the end of the day its not apple job to act on copyright infringement only based on a "mail".

get a lawyer to make up an cease and desist letter on the other companies repated copyright infrigement of your work. this will force apple (who are always play neutral) todo something (remove apps, ban developer etc.)

if they do not act you can sue apple and the other companie all together..
    but this won't happen anyway apple will do something if you propose to them in a correct legal way.

and if you can't afford an lawyer.. well then i suppose you haven't made much money from youre work.. amd well , relax forget it and leave them be.

its normal nowerdays that people steal.. i assume even you have some mp3s on youre hdd which you didnt bought ;)

if they just hurt your personal feeling and not youre actual business.. well
    honestly.. just forget them. its unlikely that they make any money with their games anyway, so don't get a headage about it :)

good luck with it.

7. SpriteAttack

May 11, 2009
    Male
    @Mr.Ugly - there is a difference between art resembling other games/ styles and art being ripped from a game and used in another.

The original game is a flash title - very easy to decode and rip - which happened to be extremely popular and successful when it was released.

http://www.miniclip.com/games/heli-attack-3/en/

It's been ported with original art in place 1:1 in 3 instances [all removed by apple in the past] and now for the 4th time with all art turned to black and white but still the same art.

[​IMG]

I took the screengrab from the itunes store and added the coloured version and it turned to black and white to show the amount of 'art creation' they did.

I have been a game artist for 20 years and I take pride in my work... so to an extend it's personal feelings that are hurt, to another it's the games IP being ruined by bad copies... and no I have not made enough money off the iphone games to afford burning 50k in a law suit with very slim chances of actually getting money from it in return...

Stealing 'being normal these days' still does not make it right... and they should not get away with it...

My main point is, that apple doesn't give a rat's ass even when dealing with repeat offenders as long as they can make their share.