Universal The Strain, evo. shooter - Releasing 13 March

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by tea, Mar 13, 2014.

1. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    [​IMG]

Hey guys.
    This one should be appearing in app stores as I write, but it's not available in most places I checked so I thought I would post here.

I'm excited about the Strain. It is my third game. It is an evolutionary shooting game like it says on the tin, it has a 2P mode and I already got a great update lining up.

Last weeks' been pretty hectic so I feel a bit air-headed. Ask me questions I guess.

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Seems interesting, I'll be sure to check it out once it's available

3. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Nice, sounds really cool. Reminds me of Warning Forever

Can the player mutate as well? Or get unlocks, etc.?

4. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    I've been focusing on designing and balancing around the core mechanics for this first version, would like to get some feedback on that before I fiddle with these by adding powers / unlocks.

For, one, there is a 2P mode, while it's a straightforward piece of action for now (shines on iPad imho), I've been thinking how it would be cool if both players could lead an army of mutants (when you see the 2P mode you will know where I'm coming from).

In 1P mode... I wonder. Been preparing transient / contextual boosts (rather than mutations or upgrades) but really a big reason I'm on this forum is to talk about the game and listen to suggestions regarding upgrades.

5. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Looks like I got my head around this.

I'll just tell you why I made it.

(and by the way, looks like you can actually get it so I would be much obliged if a mod/wizard/ninja could open a section in the game releases (not sure how to make the cute 'app store widget'), anyway I think this link is working: app store link)

1a) I like a good shooter. From Xenon 2 on my Atari to the pixelated cave releases (not to forget the glorious hell of Danmaku unlimited), good shooting games are enjoyable, great shooting games are exhilarating.
    So, the idea of creating my own made its way; finally it seemed the time was right.

1b) Classic shooting games compliment touch controls. Dragging a ship on the screen is mmh. Satisfying?

2) Evolutionary mechanics make unique experiences possible. Every time you pick up my game I hope you can playing something different, and every player will have a unique experience.
    Of course it's always The Strain that you're playing, not Cinderella vs Macaws vs Trollolol. But I do think a little variation will help cure the stereotyping inherent to mass reproduction / digital media.
    While I'm on the topic of evolution, this is the real deal - Not a designer's watered down take on the idea of evolution. Enemy ships are actually rated according to their accuracy, and the best breed are recombined to create new foes.
    (Thinking of creating a widget showing info-graphics about the evolutionary process. Anybody interested?)

3) I wanted to experiment with GLSL shaders. This is great fun so I'm already preparing a cool update with new environments.

Which well... leads me to not another point but a kind of footnote: I wanted a game that I can, in earnest, look forward to updating on a semi-regular basis. The outlook's pretty good.