Baroque - The Dark, Twisted Fantasy [sting co., ltd]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Try playing with the movement and camera control sensitivity options. Movement at max (10) and Camera at 8 works best for me. OR, you can max out Camera sensitivity and make sure you have auto lock on most of the times.

Im just playing on Normal mode as i dont want to challenge myself with a very hardcore roguelike. Hahaha! But i have to say, Normal mode is very satisfying.

One of the best things i like in this game are the character designs. Some of the most bizaare and amazing designs i have only seen here. Kinda like the first time you have ever seen the whole slew of monsters from the FF cast.

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Lol, I downloaded it directly after release, started it and then I was left with a big question mark on my forehead. Very strange, very confusing. I saw a big walking statue with two heads and suddenly, a giant maw opened in the middle. Since then I am riddled.

3. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I LOVED this game but felt burned when they released it previously, wasn't that also official?

I'm compelled to try it again as Baroque was one of my very favorite console roguelikes!

It definitely had some of the most original items! Like this really powerful armor that your character is COMPELLED to instantly take off if any baddy is present (only if there was a way to make it so you couldn't remove it, hint hint).

4. Capricornman

Capricornman Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok EP will try that! I'm a bit embarrassed because I was playing on easy mode:)

5. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    A hint!?!? Not sure what it means though right now:)

6. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Ok I just tried movement at 10 and camera at 8- much better!! I also tried normal mode and got down two levels but the creatures overtook me!
    Are we suppose to take on every creature we see or run and collect items and then search for the next portal? And also I think I ought to save my progress because I have to start at the beginning every time because right now I'm good at dying:)

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Make sure to experiment with different weapons and armor, as well as other devices like lighting bombs. In the intro section you have several healing items, which you should definitely use. You don't have to fight every enemy, but it's definitely possible to do so and survive to the end of the prologue.

8. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the tips! Yep I think I was just feeling out the game and not using healing potions or different weapons....silly me, no wonders I was dying pretty quick!
    Lots of fun this game.

9. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Game Impressions

Grrr.

I like having a score when I play, so I gravitated toward the Survival mode, but in this mode there are NO ITEMS OR INVENTORY!

I loved the game back on PS2 and Wii, but so far am finding the controls pretty awkward and it looking pretty fuzzy on my iPad 3.

Maybe it will grow on me but, at this point, I can't whole heartedly recommend it, especially when asking $9 for it! :(

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    To be clear, the game has items and inventory when played on story mode -- and a ton of loot, BTW.

As has been mentioned already, setting the sensitivity to 8+ makes a huge difference in the controls (and using target lock takes care of the rest).

I'm working on my first from-1st-level run and I'm loving it. Before heading to the Neuro Tower, make sure to try the Tutorial Dungeon -- it's a good introduction to the game systems and gives you some decent items as well.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Why do I read "goddammit" in every second sentence? Mostly it's not even fitting into the context. I suppose this is a translation error?

12. Capricornman

Dec 8, 2011
    Think I'll do this before going into the neuro tower. And target lock may help!

13. nomorejoking

nomorejoking Active Member

Nov 19, 2012
    #33 nomorejoking, Dec 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Meh

For a wii game port, it looks pretty good, but the graphics are not updated kr optimized at all. Other wii ports such as rafe of the gladiator was remade better and with better visuals. This game is not only not optimized for iPhone 5, its graphics looks like garbage (art style is decent, similar to bastion)

The gameplay is very repetitive with a hard to follow story, especially since there is no voice acting. The fighting is boring and the controls are a PAIN. The music does not fit with the gameplay most of the time and the fx are bad, such as the player walking on metal slowly sounding like a car crash.

All together, the game is not very good but at least we know wii ports might be coming our way.

This game is not worth $9 and maybe a $2 game, the developers need to do some serious editing or this game is a fluke.

Rating 5.5/10
    (Not for most gamers)

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yep -- not for everyone. Anyone who doesn't have an appreciation for rogue-likes should stay away. Repetitiveness is in the eye of the beholder, of course: for me the fact that you have so many weapons to use and so much loot to collect (as well as other surprises) pretty much compensates for the simplicity of the combat (which is a fact on every single rogue-like).

As to the graphics, I like 'em, at least on an iPhone. Art direction beats resolution any day, as far as I'm concerned.

Since you can try it for free, I definitely recommend that folks pay little attention to anything we're saying here and just check it out for themselves.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im on the second from-1st-Lv run on story mode (ongoing story by the way, so dont be surprised if you get back to Lv 1 again :D).

I am loving this game. I did say on my first impressions that this isnt for everyone in terms of aesthetics and some of the gameplay mechanics. Roguelikes always only had a handful of fans, but the game makes them love it a lot... And this is no exception.

This is currently my favorite roguelike on the iOS.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    That's just from dialogues from the training guy. LOL.

You wont see that in the dungeons anytime soon.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I thought he was hilarious.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Sorry, you're right, I was just talking about the Survival mode having no items. Does Story mode have at least a local HoF like its Wii counterpart?

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Good question. I didn't notice one, but I'll look for it.

20. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I thought so too... the exaggeration was funny.