Republique (story driven stealth game by Camouflaj Studios, founded by Ryan Payton)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by arta, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #21 arta, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
    Agreed, this game needs the exposure. The word of mouth on other traditional sites ranges wildly from excitement to open scorn (since it's an iOS exclusive).

Right now the Kickstarter is at 43000, which is ok after two days but it needs more hype before it dies down for it to scrape past their goal. I asked the dev to check out our forum, hope they do it soon. :)

2. mister-k81

mister-k81 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    British Columbia, Canada
    Yup, I just submitted a link to the Kickstarte page to here [email protected]

Hopefully the Touch Arcade editors actually read their inbox (Does anybody read their email these days?) .

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yes.

4. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    [​IMG]

lol. Some kinda vendetta against Payton? Didn't like MGS4?

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    And here I thought that Eli had a cogent and mature argument against Kickstarter...

I mean, shitfarter? Really?

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

#26 Eli, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
    Kickstarter is everything that is wrong with the "millennial" generation, wholly concentrated into a single web site. Back in my day, if you wanted to open up a lemonade stand, you did everything you could to get the funding together to make that happen. If you couldn't finance it personally, you'd borrow money from whatever family, friends, and fools you can drum up, and be personally responsible for its repayment. You'd then take that money, open your lemonade stand, hopefully turn a profit, then pay everyone back. Alternatively, if you didn't turn a profit or couldn't get your lemonade stand off the ground for one reason or another, you still needed to worry about the money you owed everyone. This caused you to only ask for money when you really believed in your lemonade stand, or, at least, enough to risk your neck for it.

In this crazy Kickstarter-laden world we live in now, the scenario is totally different. You decide on the vague idea that you want to start a lemonade stand, you don't have the means to do it, so you jingle around a change jar with a line on it. You sucker people into giving money to you because they like lemonade, and you offer them some sort of commemorative sticker as "thanks." Meanwhile, while people might be filling up your change jar, you're free at any time to up and decide that you don't want to run a lemonade stand anymore, and instead you're going to sell Kool-Ade, fruit punch, or any other number of derivative things.

In fact, you don't even have to open anything at all. What's stopping you from actually fulfilling your promises? Not Kickstarter, that's for sure.

From their own Help pages:

-Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project.

-Because projects are usually funded by the friends, fans, and communities around its creator, there are powerful social forces that keep creators accountable.

-At the end of the day, use your internet street smarts.

So, essentially, you don't have to do anything you say you're going to do. Kickstarter gets their 5% rake, and as someone who donated you're left with "powerful social forces" such as complaining on Twitter when things don't pan out.

We're not posting about Kickstarter stuff anymore because of how silly it's getting. Here we have someone looking for half a million dollars based on a four minute video with no gameplay, and three concept images. Anything we post about games in this stage is little more than a post that says "Hey give these people money and cross your fingers."

I appreciate what they're trying to do, but, how many paid games out there that target a hardcore audience even gross half as much money as these guys are asking for on Kickstarter?

7. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    As much as I hate Hodapp's negativity, half a million dollar is a lot of money as they've pledged 50k so far... 29 days to go and this could happen, but I still don't think they'll reach that half a million, at least not in a month.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

They've already hit most of the big blogs that would post about something like this to create the $50,000 surge they've gotten so far. Typically it seems most Kickstarters see a massive influx of contributions in the first few days (which has already mostly happened), then a lull throughout the month, and potentially another similar burst towards the end as people rush to get in on the last moments. That final contribution boost generally only seems to occur if something is very close to or exceeding its goal.

I have no clue where they are going to get the extra $450k from.

9. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Uh seems like an innocent typo to me.

If he meant to type that, he'd probably have properly capitalized Shitfarter.

10. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    They're not looking for a half million, they're looking for a full million. The other $500,000 is conditional on Payton proving, through Kickstarter, that there is a demand for large budget games on iOS.

Pretty sad that even a web site dedicated to iOS gaming thinks iOS is too small time to warrant a budget just 1/10th of a console title, and somebody trying to prove otherwise isn't even worth a blog post. Keep dreaming small, Eli.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow... it's incredible. Speechless.

12. Dietlama

Dietlama New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Republique is the first Kickstarter project that I have chosen to back. Ryan Payton's line in the video is what sold me on the idea. If I'm going to complain about the direction of iOS game development (which trends toward quick, disposable, though often great, experiences) then I should be someone who supports development of longer, more in-depth, traditional games designed from the very beginning with iOS in mind.

I hope that Touch Arcade will run a story for this project. I've seen front-page posts for games with far less potential to expand the breadth of games on the platform. Those posts have been extremely positive for much smaller scale endeavors.

A title like Republique (if it gets made) does not have to squash the current style for iOS games (nor will it, even if it becomes wildly successful). There's room on iPhones and iPads for all kinds of gaming experiences; please support this team in its effort to stretch the boundaries.

13. Codhisattva

Codhisattva Active Member

Nov 9, 2010
    CTO Trilobyte Games
    Talent, OR
    This looks great! I hope they make their budget.

14. Dietlama

Dietlama New Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Republique is the first Kickstarter project that I have chosen to back. Ryan Payton's line in the video is what sold me on the idea. If I'm going to complain about the direction of iOS game development (which trends toward quick, disposable, though often great, experiences) then I should be someone who supports development of longer, more in-depth, traditional games designed from the very beginning with iOS in mind.

I hope that Touch Arcade will run a story for this project. I've seen front-page posts for games with far less potential to expand the breadth of games on the platform. Those posts have been extremely positive for much smaller scale endeavors.

A title like Republique (if it gets made) does not have to squash the current style for iOS games (nor will it, even if it becomes wildly successful). There's room on iPhones and iPads for all kinds of gaming experiences; please support this team in its effort to stretch the boundaries.

15. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    They get 5%. Y'all sure have double standards... Weren't y'all all over Star Command last year when it was pretty much just 3 screenshots?

16. Codhisattva

Nov 9, 2010
    CTO Trilobyte Games
    Talent, OR
    #36 Codhisattva, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
    It's true that funding on Kickstarter is a risk for the funder and that funders need to be aware of that. It's not a guaranteed pre-order unfortunately.

Yet, there is something important about funding models that can't be ignored either. A new game studio has a few choices to get started - and funding a studio is much more expensive than a lemonade stand. One way is to make a deal with a traditional publisher in exchange for some creative control and some of the revenue. Traditional publishers are having a lot of trouble today so good luck with that. Another way is to find an angel investor among friends, family or your network. They are few and far between. And another is to find an investment group to partner with. There is a lot of VC money running around the Bay Area but they seem intent on web properties and social things, not creative adventure games.

Crowdsourcing is an important alternative. It allows a studio to maintain complete creative control as well as the entire revenue stream. Good things for the creative people, developers, and independent studios. And good things for the creative people mean good games for the players.

Sure, there is risk for the funders. And I think Kickstarter does a lousy job of messaging that. I also think there will be some spectacular failures in the next year on Kickstarter that's going to squelch the enthusiasm a bit. It's inevitable that unscrupulous people will abuse it, or ambitious dreamers won't deliver.

Kickstarter should have a better mechanism for punishing failure, but frankly I don't think that's possible. What could they require? Escrow, liens, guarantees, bonds, or insurance? Maybe but the complexity increases rapidly.

But consider comparable risks game players, shoppers, and consumers in general take every day. Is that $5 breakfast cereal any good? Will this $15 movie suck? Will this $50 play be worth it? Will my $300 console be obsolete in a year? Is my $1500 laptop on fire? What's that sound my $15,000 car is making?

The risk involved in Kickstarter is small if you choose. The delay between ponying up the cash and opening the box to find bugs is longer than typical consumer behavior. But it's the same sort of risk as "what if I get my $60 game home and I don't like it" for the most part.

Do the benefits of Kickstarter outweigh the risks? I really think it's a win-win for the studio and the player. But one thing is for sure, we're going to see a lot of projects start there and hopefully they will be awesome and entertaining.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Evolving standards are very different from double standards. You'll notice when we no longer cover many free to play games either, despite how excited we were for the first batch of them. If you want to read about Kickstarter stuff, there's tons of blogs out there that are more to happy to cover them. We're focusing on actual games that exist in a form beyond "Hey wouldn't this be cool, can we have some money?".

18. Codhisattva

Nov 9, 2010
    CTO Trilobyte Games
    Talent, OR
    Good to know and a good choice. There's tons more vaporware out there than real games, that's for sure.

Does that editorial standard extend to advertising?

19. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The editorial and advertising sides of TouchArcade couldn't possibly be more segregated. I don't have anything to do with advertisements, and I don't want to! You can read more here if you're curious- http://toucharcade.com/toucharcade-advertising-and-editorial-policies/

Regardless, it'd be weird for someone to buy advertising for vaporware, wouldn't it?

20. Codhisattva

Nov 9, 2010
    CTO Trilobyte Games
    Talent, OR
    Ha! Yes it would. Advertising is a likely important aspect for any large Kickstarter campaign. Like you point out, most of the free buzz is over in a few days (unless you're Double Fine or Notch) so more expensive, on-going communication is fairly necessary for funding success.