Universal Pocket RPG - (by Tasty Poison / Crescent Moon Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I saw Hammer at Facebook a few months ago, he's friends with a friend of mine, I could ask him about the iPad pants. :eek:

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Does it get easier because you unlocked more stuff? Or harder because the quests scale up? Does it keep being challenging, or does it get "played out"?

3. Xenosage

Xenosage Well-Known Member

Great game. I'm also playing with Battle Mage, for I love magic ^_^

Personally, music, graphic and gameplay are at the very high level. Good job ;)

4. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    A plus about it taking a month before it comes to the iPhone that comes to mind is we will have a more refined version with less bugs. :D

Still sucks to wait, but I'll get by.

Any chance I could hear what kind of updates/content will look like in the future for this game?

5. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Exactly like Misguided says, every quest is designed to start at level 0 with only basic items and end with the hero being epicly powerful. Think of each quest as a mini-RPG which you have to beat.

Someone asked about the warning that says "Current Quest Progress will be overwritten" when you press the start button. This just overwrites the progress within the last played quest, it doesn't overwrite any of the skill or item unlocks or the number of quests you have completed.

But if you are half-way through a quest with another character, starting a new quest will at the moment overwrite that progress... We are going to fix this with the next update. We will make it so that you have 3 proper save slots.

6. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    When you start a character, you start off as a level 1 nothing with no skills or moneys. After your first quest, you have moneys that you collected and stars you earned from leveling up. With the stars, you learn skills (for the Dark Ranger, one example would be a skill that lets you start with poison arrows). These skills are permanent. Once you learn them, you have them for good.

Money allows you to "master" items. When you master an item, it is also permanently mastered. Mastering it allows you to find it more often in quests. Pair specific item mastery with the skill that increases the drop rate of stuff, and you could potentially nab yourself a sexy piece of gear in the first/second chest.

You don't notice the fact that you start back at level 1 each quest - I haven't gotten past the fourth quest yet (crashing bug needs addressing investigation in the first update), so I don't know what lies far ahead. Imagine that Infinity Blade meets Gauntlet, sexes it up for a bit, and poops out Pocket RPG. The offspring is similar to its parents, but unique in its own way.

7. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Playing all characters I think the ranger is sort of like easy mode. Gona finish with ranger first.

8. Bdzer

Bdzer Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    I feel the opposite, the Ranger is so weak. The Battle Mage has mana but dishes out tons of AOE + Damage

9. Evan.Greenwood

Evan.Greenwood Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Game Programmer
    Cape Town
    Looking into this right now! (will be in the update)

10. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Is anyone having problems getting achievements? Each time I boot the game, it gives me the "Game Center connected" screen, and I've unlocked quite a few (by the end of mission report), but GC still has me at 0 achievements. GC achievement leaderboard has me at 3 points (though I should have around 20 by my count), but still no achievements listed.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Both, so far. Quest 2 was significantly harder than 1. I died once or twice during quest 2. Even when you die, though, you still collect money and skill points, which let you improve a bit and access new gear, then you go at it again. Even when I completed quest 2, it was by the skin of my teeth, so I'm worried about how tough quest 3 will be. No doubt it will take me a few tries.

Also, as you unlock new quests, you get to unlock access to new skills and more powerful item drops. The one thing that seems odd is that none of the items in the store that I can see requires access to anything higher than quest 4. So either there's more stuff I can't see, or the upgrades are going to run out quickly.

12. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    The ranger starts to come into its own when you get stuff like shot penetration and seeking. Add in some stun or knock back and you can mow down some crowds.

13. nicoga3000

nicoga3000 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Indianapolis, IN
    Or increased Ghost Arrow (for the Ranger). Holy shit, super Ghost Arrow + bounce + penetration = lolbye. I do have to ask what Focus + xx% does though. I've not figured out what the point of it is. The best I can come up with is that my energy bar fills up faster to unleash a crazy awesome seeker arrow quad tap attack.

14. Jensen

Jensen Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Is the feel of the game and combat similar to Gameloft's Dungeon Hunter (Diablo-esque) or is this a different beast?

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Different beast. For one, there's no potion spamming. For another, you have direct control of combat at all times. Pocket RPG feels more like an action game and less like an auto-combat RPG.

16. GhostOfScythe

GhostOfScythe Member

Jun 5, 2011
    I am really enjoying the game but as a big RPG fan I absolutely fail to see the point behind losing your level and all your equipment at the start of each "Adventure". Anybody who loves RPG's and has played a lot of them will surely understand the problem I am having getting into this game. I understand that the devs were trying something different, but as a big fan of all types of RPG's that aspect of the game has let me down somewhat. As for the rest of it, its a great, great game.

17. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Downloading, FINALLY! My ipad got stuck in recovery mode trying to update to iOS 5 beta 3 last night. Been trying to get it fixed for all day long and finally managed to revert it back to 2nd beta. Hopefully the game works fine on that one :eek:

Now a little help. I'm a complete noob when it comes to RPGs (hate'em) but for some reason this game seems really interesting and couldnt resist it. Now tell me which character will be the easiest one to play please :D

18. Flood

Flood Active Member

Apr 19, 2009
    @JoshCM - Thanks for your prompt response regarding availability on the iPhone and "separateness" of App. Unfortunately I haven't been checking my twitter lately, and the ones I saw were from a representative of Tasty Poison.

Can't wait for the iPhone release!

-Flood

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I a, really enjoying this ....bit as other said, t me this is not really a rog but more a rogue dpad shooter. Lovely! Worth more than every penny!

20. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    I think it plays a lot like Solomon's Keep, with visuals closer to Torchlight. The rpg elements are kind of meta in the sense that skill progression takes place outside of questing. Once you jump into a quest, it is strictly blow stuff up and take their loot.