Secrets of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 Remastered

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cobbyco, May 16, 2013.

1. cobbyco

cobbyco Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    #1 cobbyco, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
    Sonic The Hedgehog 1 Remastered

Since the game's 're-release', I've found several secrets exclusive to this new version of the game. I decided to compile them in a list here, and I'll update the list as I discover more.
    If you find something I've missed please reply below and I'll add it as well.

Significant Level Changes:
    GHZ Act 1: Some extra rings in the middle of the double tubes, where there's a gap with a checkpoint post. Go up the gap with Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles.
    GHZ Act 2: I've found nothing.
    GHZ Act 3: The boss' swinging ball now rotates, and the boss has been tweaked for wider screens.
    -----
    MZ Act 1: A hidden invincibility box, found by using Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles. Go to the right most wall without going down, and fly/climb up the wall to find the box.
    MZ Act 2: I've found nothing.
    MZ Act 3: A brand new, hidden section/shortcut, found by using Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles. Go to the right most wall without going down, and fly/climb up the wall to find the entrance. The boss has also been tweaked for wider screens.
    -----
    SYZ Act 1: I've found nothing.
    SYZ Act 2: A brand new, hidden section/shortcut, found by using Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles. Go most of the way through the level until you reach some floating platforms. On the last platform (or the one before) fly/glide to the right until you reach an entrance (or the wall with Knuckles, then climb up). This section has its own act end post.
    SYZ Act 3: The boss area now has barriers on either side while fighting the boss.
    -----
    LZ Act 1: I've found nothing. Of course, there's the existing shortcut, which is easier to access using Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles.
    LZ Act 2: I've found nothing.
    LZ Act 3: I've found nothing.
    -----
    SLZ Act 1: A brand new, hidden section/shortcut, found by using Tails (& Sonic) or Knuckles. At the start of the level, go up and right until you hit a wall and a set of 'stair blocks' (just where the second bomb is). Fly/climb up the wall to find the entrance.
    SLZ Act 2: I've found nothing.
    SLZ Act 3: The boss has been slightly tweaked.
    -----
    SBZ Act 1: I've found nothing.
    SBZ Act 2: I've found nothing.
    SBZ Act 3: I've found nothing.
    -----
    FZ: I've found nothing.

Unlockables:
    Tails (& Sonic): Complete the game with Sonic.
    -----
    Knuckles: Complete the game again collecting all Chaos Emeralds.

Level Select (and Debug Mode): Start 'No Save' mode with any character. During the SEGA screen quickly tap the letters in order 'S E G A' and if you were successful you'll hear a chime. Then on the start screen, use two fingers/thumbs to quickly slide up on the screen from the middle.
    -----
    Options:
    Player:
    00 = Sonic & Tails.
    01 = Sonic.
    02 = Tails.
    03 = Knuckles.
    ---
    Spindash:
    On = Spindash on.
    Off = Spindash off.
    ---
    Gnd Spd Cap:
    On = Ground speed limit on.
    Off = Ground speed limit off.
    ---
    Air Spd Cap:
    On = Air speed limit on.
    Off = Air speed limit off.
    ---
    S1 Spikes:
    On = Spikes don't have a 'cool down' so hitting spikes twice in quick concession kills you.
    Off = Spikes have a 'cool down' like other enemies and traps.
    ---
    Items:
    S1 = Everything stays as it was in the original.
    S2 = Some items are swapped with ones from Sonic 2. This affects items in Debug Mode.
    S1 + S3 = Some items are swapped with ones from Sonic 3. This affects items in Debug Mode. Also Sonic uses his mid-air spin found in Sonic 3.
    S2 + S3 = Some items are swapped with ones from Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. This affects items in Debug Mode. Also Sonic uses his mid-air spin found in Sonic 3.
    ---
    Max Emeralds:
    06 = Everything stays as it was in the original.
    07 = An extra Chaos Emerald can be obtained and as a result there is one extra Special Stage. This allows Sonic to enter his Super form.
    -----
    Codes (Put into the Sound Test):
    All Emeralds: 4 1 2 6
    ---
    Debug Mode: 1 9 9 1 0 6 2 3 - Tap the score in-game to change to Debug mode, then use the -/+ to change object and jump to place the object.

Cheats/Easter Eggs/Extras:
    Miles: Start 'No Save' mode with Tails or Sonic & Tails. During the SEGA screen quickly tap the letters in order 'A G E S' and if you we're successful you'll hear a chime. Tails is now called 'Miles'.
    -----
    Japanese Credits: Start 'No Save' mode with any character. During the SEGA screen quickly tap the letters in order 'A G E S' and if you were successful you'll hear a chime. You will briefly see a white screen with Japanese writing, that's translates to: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2828304&postcount=201
    -----
    Carry Sonic: In a game mode with Sonic & Tails, hold up on the D-Pad. While doing this, jump high and in mid air jump again. Tails will briefly be able to carry you, so jump at Tails and he'll grab you. To control Tails, use the D-Pad to steer and the jump button to fly.
    -----
    Super Sonic: With the extra Chaos Emerald enabled from the Level Select screen, collect all 7 Emeralds. Then as Sonic jump and in mid-air jump again to become Super Sonic. Tails and Knuckles require use of the 'S' monitor, found in Debug Mode, to become Super.
    -----
    Knuckles and Tails: Start 'No Save' mode with Sonic and Tails selected. Wait for the title screen and the automatic Green Hill Zone playthrough tp pass, then you will be back to the SEGA screen. During the SEGA screen quickly tap the letters in order 'S E G A' and if you were successful you'll hear a chime. Then on the start screen, use two fingers/thumbs to quickly slide up on the screen from the middle. Finally, on the level select screen, change the character from '00' to '03'. Sinply select the level and start.
    -----
    Behind closed doors (barriers): Using Debug mode, during the transition between SBZ act 2 and act 3, move the character through the barrier. On the other side is Robotnik, who if you run into will hurt you and cause you to lose your rings. You can also jump on him and see his expression change. Running offscreen to the right will cause the game to progress to act 3, though it would be nicer if it skipped straight to FZ.

Any more? Please reply below and I'll add them.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Remastered

Hi guys,
    You may remember back when the Sonic 1 update hit that I made a thread that collected all the known secrets/easter eggs etc. together. I've made this thread in advance of the update's release, but in the meantime we can discuss what we 'know' about the update. I'll start it off:

•The Special Stages are now rendered in 3D to ensure the whole game runs at 60fps (suggested on Sonic Retro by Whitehead).
    •2P mode will be in the game in some form (again, suggested by Whitehead). Probably though Game Center or Bluetooth.
    •Hidden Palace will be an extra (through level select, apparently).
    •Other beta items will make an appearance in the Debug mode much like Sonic 1.
    •The gears in Metropolis Zone now smoothly rotate instead of jumping between frames (apparently).

Hi guys,
    So as you know the recent Sonic 2 port has a finished Hidden Place Zone, but just days ago it was discovered the ORIGINAL Hidden Palace is playable in the iOS version (complete with the original music)! Here's how to access it.

Start a No Save game and enter the level select (tap S-E-G-A letters in that order, then hold with 2 fingers on the title screen). Then on the sound test play the tracks in this order to enable Debug mode (HAS to be done):
    01-09-09-02-01-01-02-04
    If done correctly you'll hear a chime. Then punch in this sequence:
    03-03-03-0B-10-10-10-04
    Again, you'll hear a chime if done correctly. Then just select Hidden Palace and you're in! The old layout level is now called Proto Palace Zone and is mostly playable. There is no end post, though you can stand on the emerald blocking the pipe to warp back to the level select. Screenshots are attached.

Now about Sonic CD. Over the last few days it was also discovered that the two planned new levels, Desert Dazzle and Final Fever, are actually playable through porting and hacking in the latest build of the game. The level layout is seemingly complete and level art is all there. Because they only appear in the January 2014 build of the game, it's assumed that they WILL see an official release in an update! While you can't play the levels yet, you can see the layouts of both acts. Just follow the link to the Sonic Retro forum topic at http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=26302&st=3210

Really exciting stuff for classic sonic fans! There's even a few rumours that Taxman/Stealth are working on a brand new retro title...

What does everyone think?

------------------------------------------------

Updates:
    17/5/13: Extra zone info for earlier zones, correction to unlocking Knuckles and basic info on Debug mode and Level Select. I also added the other zones.
    -----
    18/5/13: Level Select and Debug mode added, solving the 'Unknown' mystery. All zones now have info on them.
    -----
    19/6/13: New Knuckles and Tails mode (2.0.1 only).
    -----
    28/6/13: Newly discovered Easter Egg.
    -----
    6/5/14: Added Sonic 2 info and how to access prototype HPZ.

2. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Awesome list, thank you!! :)

3. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Does anyone know what this does yet?

4. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    #4 zergslayer69, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
    Good thread. As for the right most wall, is that at beginning of level? Don't have game on me so I can't check.

5. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Updated information today. Also added an 'Updates' list at the bottom showing what I've changed.

It's not far after the start. Just head right as much as possible, without going down to the 'lower layer', until you hit a wall. Then make your way up and you'll see the obvious entrance.

6. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Updated with most of the zones done. I've just got Scrap Brain Zone (and Final Zone) to look through now. That should all be up by the morning.

Seeing as the unknown 'S E G A' cheat can only be done in 'No Save' mode, it might have something to do with completing the game in one sitting (with Sonic). If anyone wants to try it and reply with the results, that would be awesome.

The Level Select and Debug modes are definitely somewhere in the iOS release, so there must be a way to access them. On the Xperia Play you can use the original combinations on the start screen to unlock them, so perhaps we should start with the start screen? Again, if anyone wants to have a go, that would be great.

Finally, if I've made a mistake in the list please comment below so that it can be fixed. I know I made a mistake about unlocking Knuckles, and I only found that out by looking through the Sonic Retro forums. Any help like that would be great.

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Up C down C left C right C ab start?

8. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    I've worked out Level Select and Debug mode. I've updated the main thread.

9. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    #9 cobbyco, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fenderbendr

Mar 7, 2012
    Is there a way to get back to the level select screen after the first time you activate it?

11. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Not that I know of. You have to do the same thing each time you want to access it, which is a pain.

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    It doesn't seem much more trouble than the original code was. Debug mode blew my mind when I first found it back in the day, I used to paste dozens of fish under the bridge then jump through them all in slow motion.

Oh, and a red spring directly below a downward facing spring for mega bouncy fun.

13. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    I've updated the thread, but didn't add anything new as there wasn't anything in Scrap Brain or Final Zone.

Debug mode is awesome as it adds super characters, S2/S3&K shields and beta stuff like the Green Hill Zone ball, the 'S' monitor and the Marble Zone UFOs background.

Unless any more new information is found, the guide seems pretty complete. If I've missed something, or something new is found, I'll update this thread. Also expect me to do something similar for Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles (if the later is ever remastered).

14. amel78

amel78 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    #14 amel78, May 29, 2013
    Last edited: May 29, 2013
    I didnt see this mentioned so thought Id share.

Do the no save sega cheat as noted
    Cheat however u want
    Enter any Zone
    Die until game over
    Load save game

Now you'll have all cheats you had(doesnt appear having all emeralds work) with the no save game option

15. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Unfortunately after leaving the save game and re-entering, all the extras are gone. It's likely just a bug and I expect it will be fixed in the upcoming update. But I had a bit of fun with it so thanks for pointing it out.

Speaking of updates Sonic CD is getting a 16:9 and optimisation update 'soon', so look out for that.

Also thanks to the TA staff for linking this thread in their Sonic secrets/extras article.

Finally, here's a tip. If you ever want to restart the act/special stage after completing it, just bring up the multitasking tray (double click home button) then return to the app and regardless of whether the pause button was visible in-game the pause menu will open. You can restart special stages after failing them (if your quick enough) and even pause during the end credits!

16. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Updated for the new Knuckles and Tails feature added by Whitehead in 2.0.1. Subscribe to the thread for when (and if) new features come!

17. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    Updated for a new Easter Egg discovered on the Sonic Retro forums. It's great to see Whitehead has added these small but awesome extras.

18. cobbyco

Jul 2, 2009
    #18 cobbyco, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
    Secrets of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for iOS

Hi guys,
    You may remember back when the Sonic 1 update hit that I made a thread that collected all the known secrets/easter eggs etc. together. I've made this thread in advance of the update's release, but in the meantime we can discuss what we 'know' about the update. I'll start it off:

•The Special Stages are now rendered in 3D to ensure the whole game runs at 60fps (suggested on Sonic Retro by Whitehead).
    •2P mode will be in the game in some form (again, suggested by Whitehead). Probably though Game Center or Bluetooth.
    •Hidden Palace will be an extra (through level select, apparently).
    •Other beta items will make an appearance in the Debug mode much like Sonic 1.
    •The gears in Metropolis Zone now smoothly rotate instead of jumping between frames (apparently).

What does everyone think?

19. fenderbendr

Mar 7, 2012
    Anyone find any new secrets that weren't in the first game?

20. Liz1

Liz1 New Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Hi I haven't managed to find some of the things you mentioned. I tried to find the invincibility box you mention in Marble zone act 1 and managed to fly up the wall but there wasn't a box there and no shortcut in marble zone 3 either :/ Do you think they've updated the game since and taken this out?