Universal Junk Jack Retro (By Pixbits)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by New England Gamer, Nov 7, 2011.

1. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    iCloud Saves?

Any plans for implementing iCloud saves? I really want to keep my sandbox persistent across my devices!

Also, I finally made a book to put my recipes in. The thing that sucked is I died right after I put all my recipes into it. Guess what I lost from my inventory when I respawned? Bad luck, guess I should keep that in a chest from now on lol.

2. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Just recreate a book and your missing recipes will be back. If the devs hadn't put this feature in I would have slung my phone out the window ages ago :D

3. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I'm having trouble finding stone - any tips? I've been using my pickaxe and shovel all over the place but no stone. I've come across some bolders I believe but my tools aren't strong enough to mash them yet.

So stone. Any tips?

4. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    I have Peaceful Mode on. For myself it's never been a case of being overwhelmed, in fact the exact opposite. It comes down to simply players being willing to learn how to play a game before they actually play it, I'm glad you figured it out.

I'm quite excited by the main game play mechanics in Junk Jack, I just wish I didn't have to spend literally hours figuring out how to play when that time could have been spent enjoying exploration, crafting and building my world.

I don't want to (as you say) "ease myself into the game" I want to enjoy the playing the game right away, not spending hours just trying to figure it all out before I can. There are still things that I have no clue how I did and other things I can't figure out why I can't. The advice "to keep at it" doesn't help, I'm 7-hours into Junk Jack and still just as confused. :confused:

I get the impression that the Minecraft/Sandbox hardcore crowd just thinks that a game has to be this vague to be good or "open-ended" in my opinion it certainly does not. Teaching new players how to experience the gameplay you guys love so much only helps sell more games and grow your community fanbase. Its a win-win.

Maybe I'm just not making any sense, nonetheless I'm anxious to see Pixbits update. Hoping to really get into Junk Jack eventually. No doubt the guys at Pixbits will take Junk Jack and grow it into something truly awesome and inspiring, and for that I can't wait! :D

5. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Like I said before, I have never played any Minecraft or even open world game before this and am loving it. I turn peaceful mode on when I get a little too deep for my own sanity; or if I find something cool and want to keep it; or just when I want to dig without any interruptions. I am not sure if there is any correlation but I find cooler things when the peaceful mode is off so I do make sure that I play that way lots.

Anyway, my point is, I had no clue what I was getting into when I started the game, had as much instruction as you, and just figured out what to do. I briefly checked the beginner's guide on their forums at the start to help me out; but I quickly remembered them so no more need. I have discovered things on my own (wrote quick diagrams to remember) and found some help from friends.

Is that too much for a mobile game to be able to play? Not sure, all I know is it worked and is working for me. Frankly I am glad I got past the hump so to speak of the learning curve before the update. I think that I would not like the hand holding. But that is only me, one person in this vast environment.

6. rayvin400

rayvin400 Member

Oct 20, 2011
    anyways, thanks to all your whining the next update contains the book pre-made with all the crafts in it. Now you dont even get to discover what you can make. You just know. how lame.

7. iPro

iPro Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    YouTube Money Maker
    In Cali
    This is true. I would have actually enjoyed trying to figure out how to make new crafts and what not but I still can't even play Junk Jack, until the update.

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    *checks the App Store for 1,000th time today*

damn...

9. sokaroka

sokaroka Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    This pretty much.

Although it's probably a good thing since I have exams this week :D

EDIT: Damn, I was just reading through the reviews in the Aussie store.

STUPID MINECRAFT CLONE
    TERRARIA CLONE DO NOT BUY THEY STOLE THE IDEA

It makes me want to punch small children in the face.

10. TimEggers

TimEggers Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Shipping
    Tiskilwa, IL
    #550 TimEggers, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    Are you privy to what Pixbits will include in the update? I'm not.

Where did I ever ask for a book containing all the recipes? (I never have).

I do want to be able to experiment with the craft system, but that system as is can be improved upon. It's too random, it should not be this random, vague and haphazard. I spent $3 for a game I have to read on a website how to play?

I'm sorry but the game you obviously can't evaluate objectively with an open mind isn't perfect...yet.

Since you don't seem interested in positive constructive conversation I'm choosing to move on and will quietly wait for the update.

11. Pixbits

Pixbits Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2011
    Craft system is absolutely not random, it follows principles and nothing is made just to do it :)

In any case we didn't insert a pre-made book with ALL recipes. We integrated it in UI removing the difficulty to craft it from beginning (which was the steeper step) so that it's available from start but it contains just a set of pages (around 30) which mix gameplay and UI how-to together with basic crafts.. every advanced craft must sill be discovered and inserted in book as before..

Oh, I almost forgot, all the craftbook will be reset with update :rolleyes:

12. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator

Jul 30, 2009
    Oh no - meaning what? We lose all the recipes? What about the achievement?

This is entirely not fair for all the work that put in because we chose to look for recipes and craft book pages.

13. rayvin400

rayvin400 Member

Oct 20, 2011

Thanks so much for still letting us find recipies! It's fun to dig around with hopes of finding that little piece of paper with something new to make.

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Dangit, I just found the disappearing inventory bug.

I lament the loss of materials so deeply, I want to cry.

Here's a quick summary:
    Clay I pillaged three worlds for.
    800+ stone
    600+ wood
    ~200+ of EACH ore - none of which I saved in my chests.
    A set of 2+ of each tool in gold
    Bunch of other stuff I hope I don't remember.
    ~200 plate rocks

Best thing is, I saved my complete statues which took me forever to find.

Anyway, on topic of why: I think it's due to the fact that I was deleting worlds and starting new ones straight away. Maybe somewhere down the line the game either deleted my inventory with the world that was deleted, OR assumed that my new world was the first - and overwrote my existing inventory with a fresh one.

Either way, I'm bummed with the loss of materials the most - world-hopping cost me dearly.

:(

15. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    If this is true, that's a bummer.

As I said before, I honestly think you just need a small handful of recipes already in your (pre-existing) book to get going.

Problem is that if you can't make planks, torches, and pickaxes, you really can't even start playing the game very well. But after that, I really LIKE finding the recipes...

EDIt: Ah, I see the dev's post. Well, 30 is quite a lot, but it's better than zero for encouraging brand new players. Still...30? How about 10? :D

16. deadclown

deadclown Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    You can find recipes very quickly by killing trees. Create a new world, then go on an ax-wielding frenzy. Chop up as many trees as you can find, then load up a fresh world and do it again.

A couple of quick runs and you'll have recipes coming out your pixelated ears.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #557 Echoseven, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    Actually, to add to the disappearing inventory thing. I think (!) it happens if you create a world, go in and out, delete the world, create another one and enter that without saving in a different world.

Bugger if I'm testing that though... :rolleyes:

Edit the first:
    Aaaaand BAM!!

Just like that, I have replicated this problem. After some testing, I found that if world creation is interrupted by a notification, or closing the app with the home button you will start the game poor with nothing. NOTHING I tell ya!

Have to test it out with loading a world, instead of creating one... Will get back to ya here.
    Edit the next:
    I can't get it to interrupt loading, it's too quick.

18. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well to add to this, I've never had a crash or anything dissapear and I'm still only playing in the first world I created, I've never made another world.

19. scarypharaoh

scarypharaoh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Medical Professional
    With Carmen Sandiego
    I have to side with the survivalists here i think. it really is very enjoyable to not have any of the recipes and scrape through by the skin of your teeth every night and slowly build your repertoire. Mabe the best solution is to have 2 different game modes, survival with the game as it is (in terms of having to find everything) and a different gametype which includes the starting recipe book as standard?

Also, given the crash reports, i would recommend using the itunes fileshare to backup char info and worlds. I did this when i transferred my game from ipad to iphone and it worked great.

20. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I just had an idea and Just thought I'd put it out here to see if people agree.
    I would love a seasonal update with new content for Christmas. I would gladly pay an IAP for it.
    Including something like this.
    Christmas music
    A Christmas tree
    Present decorations
    A snowman
    Stocking decorations
    Snow blocks
    Christmas lights (instead of torches)

Well something like that anyway, as Christmas is my favourite season and my house is just begging to be decorated for the season. :)
    Just an idea.