AppNotify: Adding push notifications -- Need developer help!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by malaxeur, Nov 24, 2009.

1. malaxeur

malaxeur New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Hey everyone,

I check this forum regularly as an anonymous user (this is actually the first time I create an account) but in any case...

I just wanted to let you all know that my company has recently put a Push Notification service into beta at http://www.appnotify.com/. Basically, we need developers to come test out the service and that's why I'm here. It's really well suited to turn-based games more so than any other style, but we're looking for people to build games with our platform. A sample use case would be to notify people when its their turn or if something major has happened in a game.

Please check it out: it's free for the beta period (which it will stay in until we're satisfied with the server). I need your help to test this thing out!

2. I see your current pricing is $1 for 2000 notifications. I appreciate the service that you are trying to offer, however, if that pricing is correct, I don't see you getting a lot of developers interested.

I don't mean to be negative or burst your bubble, but I think your pricing is rather unrealistic. :eek:

Let's say I have a measly 10,000 copies of my turn-based game out there, and people play only 1 game a day across 5 turns for each player times 30 days per month = 1,500,000 notifications. That works out to $750/month!

I can get 3 dedicated Quad Core 2.66Mhz machines with 4GB of RAM, 750GB of storage and nearly unlimited bandwidth for that monthly price from somewhere like ServerBeach.com, and I can do whatever I want with them, not just send notifications.

If the price was somewhere around $1 for 100,000 notifications then it might start to make some sense to me. I might pay $15/month for that level of service. Even then, for $15 I can get a pretty great monthly server hosting package and run my own notification server with unlimited notifications and host my web site and host any downloadable content, and, and, and.

3. malaxeur

malaxeur New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Any feedback is good feedback. It's being brought to the table and discussed! Thanks.