Act of Fury: Kraine's Revenge - (DarkWave Games) - available Nov 24th

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DarkWave_Games, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkWave_Games

DarkWave_Games Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Our aim is the development of Multidevice, Multipl
    Milan - Italy
    #1 DarkWave_Games, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

DarkWave Games is back!

Act of Fury: Kraine's Revenge is an old school shoot’em up inspired game in which you don’t have to shoot.

Introducing Kraine Severe, a man used for mad experiments by Dr. Osvald Pernicious, leader of the Doom Legion, that now can transform in a mighty hurricane, destroying everything.

Features:

• Different environments
    • Deep upgrade system for the main character, with four different natural elements
    • Power-ups
    • Touch screen based control system, with direct and proportional movement
    • Fury mechanic to enhance the gameplay
    • Rating system for the performance in each level
    • Many powers to unlock
    • Non linear camera movements, with different levels of zoom, vertical, horizontal and diagonal scrolling at variable speed, with the possibility to stop
    • Epic boss fights

Customization is very important in Act of Fury: Kraine's Revenge, because many new abilities can be acquired earning stars in every levels.
    Those abilities can be useful in the hell mode, that raises the difficulty to higher levels.

The first version will be for the iPhone, with a full campaign.
    Act of Fury: Kraine's Revenge is published by Forge Reply and is available at the special introductory price of $1.99/€1.59.

Act of Fury Lite is available for free, with three esclusive levels not included in the full game.

Launch screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    You got me interested. I'd love to see some screenshots or some gameplay.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Will await gameplay, slightly intrigued for now.

4. flourbros

flourbros Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Sounds interesting, looking forward for some visual stuff :)

5. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    ooh. can't wait to hear more! :)

6. CerenPL

CerenPL Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2010
    It's too soon after huricane katrina waaaah :( waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah:mad:

7. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Nice frontpage preview

Looks interesting, as far as shmups go. Having to be in close proximity to destroy something, instead of hanging back and shooting, will really put the pressure on.

8. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    Why don't you ever update Master of Alchemy??? Need a Retina icon for iPhone version and Game Center!

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Might as well post what I left in the comments section of the video preview on the front page:

Looks polished and all, but I'm not a fan of the music and sound effects. At all. Hopefully by the time this comes out something will have changed, 'coz it says something if I'm irritated and I'm not even playing the game. :/

10. DarkWave_Games

Jun 14, 2010
    Milan - Italy
    Hi guys and thanks for the warm reception.

As the frontpage preview said we're busy in the development process so we're interested in receiving every kind of feedback about the game.

We'll post some screenshots and other new material soon.
    Meanwhile I can say that the musical score and effects are only placeholders and we're discussing with a couple of gaming musicians for a proper audio treatment.

11. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Sweet, I'm looking forward to it.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Love the video, its good its different from the usual types of shoot em up. Happy to see a vertical based shooter not horizontal. I'll be looking forward to this when its out

13. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    My thoughts:

Make the hurricane graphic/animation more dynamic, it should probably not be a constant circle.

Make it either universal or provide an ipad version (i personally don't bother buying iphone games (even though i have and ipod touch and iphone (for testing))

Get rid of the god part in the title, its an automatic dismissal for me personally, game comes across as pandering some religious crap. UNLESS of course you ARE pandering some religious crap, in which case DON'T change it, as you're more than welcome to share whatever beliefs you may have.

14. flourbros

flourbros Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Do you think that shooters are worth playing on the iPad ? I really like shumps, but I don't like that much the way they play on the iPad: it feels a bit wierd to me - like loosing control over the actor 'cause the surface you're playing with is too big.

That said I'd personally increase the number of enemies and bullets, and i'll make the overall experience faster. So far so good btw

15. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #15 araczynski, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
    I play ipad shooters and enjoy them. The only thing I found not worth playing on the iPad are iPhone games... but that's just a personal bias against pixelation.

I think the way they 'feel' is entirely up to the control methods implemented. The more options you give, the more likely the consumer will find one they feel comfortable using. if you do only tilt or joystick or sliders or whatever, exclusively, then you're guaranteed to alienate a large chunk of the base that would otherwise enjoy your game.

a lot of people don't enjoy tilt, or gyroscope focused things. they feel gimmicky and imprecise at best, to me anyway. to me, tilt implies a ball rolling around, so it works for those, but everything else just doesn't fit, in my head anyway.

16. DarkWave_Games

Jun 14, 2010
    Milan - Italy
    There's no connection between the title and any religious topic. Act of God is simply a phrase to express a calamity like a hurricane.

We don't want "pandering" in any way.

17. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Maybe "Act of Nature" would've been a better name.

Or even "Act of warm air rising over the sea, creating an area of lower air pressure which causes the surrounding air to rush in due to the difference of air pressure, the rises and the cycle repeats, creating swirling clouds and high winds"

But I guess that just doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

18. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    I've always been under the impression that using the capital G implies the christian one. of course the whole title is in capitals, so maybe just make it 'ACT OF THE GODS' to keep it 'neutral'? maybe 'Wrath of Gods'...

19. ironcashew

ironcashew New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Some Feedback

As a fan of top down shooters, Raiden, 1943, Strikers, etc. I think your concept is good. Keeping in mind that the video is quite limiting in what you've shown us, here are my comments.

1. Needs power ups, lots of power ups.
    2. The game play looked like it could get boring; avoid bullets and bump in to enemies. However, being that you are a mutant freak and not an airplane, there could be some innovative power ups that will spice up the game. If the bullets are firing fast, it will be frustrating to be in close for the kill and getting pegged off by an unavoidable bullet. Unless getting hit is expected and there is a HP system that lets you heal or regen.
    3. The trouble with top down scrollers on the iPhone is when you need to move your character down and you run out real-estate for your finger. The game play video looks like you compensated for that by leaving the lower part of the screen somewhat safe. I think a panic "safe teleport" button or shake would help. Say you run out of finger room, you teleport, yet danger is likely still looming but you at least had a chance.
    4. I hope the military has a another freak of nature that you boss battle!
    5. I didn't like to popping sound when you absorb the orbs. The music was a little intense, but I think people often turn off music and only use sound effects. That would be a good polling question. I would focus on nailing the sound effects and music secondary.
    6. I liked the red highlight on the edge of the screen when you take damage.

Good luck with this project.

20. flourbros

flourbros Active Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Maybe a good idea could be to let the enemies stop firing when they are under attack ? If they keep a good amount of enemies/bullets on the screen the player will be engaged anyway, but it won't be frustrated by the fact that he is being hit by bullets he cannot evade. Obviously this won't work if there are few enemies or bullets on the screen, 'cause it will be too easy at the end ...