How difficult are the Final Fantasy games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by MasterChief3624, Jul 6, 2012.

1. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    How difficult are Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II, and Final Fantasy III?

Would you recommend them for their stories at all? Like.. do they have good stories?

I'm rather easily amused by stories, so I'm not much of a critic when it comes to Final Fantasy aha. :eek:

2. 1 and 2 are very easy, particularly compared to the third. I think they've been simplified from their original formats to appeal to the more casual idevice crowd.

3. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Very interesting.

So Final Fantasy III is a difficult one?

How do the games play on iDevices? Are they worth the exorbitant price? (compared to other iDevice games, that is :eek:)

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    3 is way easier than 1 IMO, 1 has nothing to guide you where to go and doesn't have much of a story,comparitively. I'd go with 2 if u like traditional 2d...3 if you want a 3d experience. I recommend skipping the first one because ur most likely not going to like it. They get easier as they go on IMO... Better stories but more linear...I think ff4 - 9 are alot better though but none of those are available yet.

5. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I don't think any of them are particularly difficult, just kinda grindy. Nothing compared to the newer FF games, though. None of the first three games were particular heavy on story, but I found III to be my favorite of the series. It's quaint and cute, but also has a great presentation. I'm not a fan of the more recent teen-angst feel the series took on from VII and beyond.

6. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I - Very good story, but it's so hidden between the lines that you won't think there is one at all until you look up plot summaries online. Very easy.
    II - Decent story, though not at all hidden. Very easy.
    III - Average story, also not hidden. Pretty difficult.

7. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    [2], I would post something like this. ^

(I don't like the way FF I and FF II have been ported, though.)

8. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Ff3 was just plain okay. Nothing compared to 4-10,12,13. The best imo are 4,8,10 as any other true ff fan would agree. Ff3 story was mediocre, the only thing it brought along were job changes but that's nothing considering this was a very very old game. It got remade on ds then ported to ios. Gameplay is turnbased but not like ff7 or beyond kind of turnbased. This you can take as much time as you want thinking. One of the worst ff's yet definitely the best ios game. The more recent teen-angst feel aftrr ffvii took on? Haha i can tell you havnt plyed half the games in the series. Vii was horrible. The only thing impressive was that it was the first true 3d ff. Ff8+9 blew it out of the waters. 10 was the best ff by far and im so glad its getting a remastered version on ps3

9. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I didn't like 8 my list would be(of the main # series)

Top tier:
    FF6
    FF9

High tier:
    FF4
    Ff7

Mid tier:
    FF10
    FF5
    FF8
    FF1

Low tier:
    FF3
    FF13
    FF2

Bottom

FF12
    FF11

10. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    FF8 isn't at the top of many peoples lists. As far as difficulty I don't recall any of them being tough to get through. I've read that the DS versions of FF3 and FF4 are hard but I haven't played through them yet.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It killed the series. Haven't played one since.

12. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    #12 HungarianUrinalCakes, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    Having party members follow you rather than just be absorbed into the main character was a selling feature for me. Also, hands. Hands were a nice touch.

I find the only real difficulty in these (early) games is the story progression. I have never finished FF2 simply because I couldn't remember what the hell I was supposed to do. Then again, I'm a grinder. If you level up until your eyes bleed and your thumbs nearly fall off then yeah, all of the battles are going to be rather easy. However, FF2's unique leveling system throws a kink into that strategy. That's probably what makes it my least favourite.

13. MasterChief3624

Oct 11, 2009
    Well I decided to pull the trigger on the first Final Fantasy game, as I did want to start out with what started the whole series. So far I'm really liking it, but I think I already screwed myself over.

Three of my party members have bitten the dust, and I only have 850 gil at the moment. I was unaware that in this game, sleeping at the Inn doesn't grant your party members revivals (as I think it does in the newer games... I thought it did, at least)...

...so that means I have to pay 1,500 for three Phoenix Downs, but I only have 850 gil. Is there an alternative way of waking my three party members up? Otherwise I think I'm already going to quit. There's no way I can grind with two party members to gain enough gil to continue.

I know grinding is a part of the modus operandi in this series, but damn... not this kind of grinding due to user error lol.

I'm such an idiot :(

14. HungarianUrinalCakes

HungarianUrinalCakes Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    No, you don't need Phoenix Downs. There are "churches" in each town that will resurrect your party for Gil. The first one is in the north-east part of the town and it has no sign on it. Take your fallen members there and speak to the "priest".

15. Darth Ronfar

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    I dunno I think there might be a priest or sumthing? But that might be another game... U would have started with 2 or 3 probly... Ff5 is like and upgraded ff3 IMO...and ff2 is like a downgraded ff4 I guess because both of those took leaps in the story department but ff2s level system kind of messed up the game.. It's still good though..

Don't know if uve playEd any of the other series but I would probly start someone off with ff4 if it was there first one...unfortunately it's not on the AppStore... For 3d maybe 9 or 7 or 10 depending on how important graphics are then maybe they can appreciate the game wothout having 3d graphics etc..

Anyways I'm excited to play final fantasy dimensions or whatever it is that's coming out? I think it was a Japan only release but it's a new 2d FF and it's what I've been waiting for since I guess I played or tried to play ff12

16. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    Ff12 was ridiculously bad. Ff13 is wayy better has nice graphics too. Likable characters and one of the best osts ff ever had but messed up story and huge difficulty spike on last boss

17. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    #17 Issac, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    "I'm not a fan of the more recent teen-angst feel the series took on from VII and beyond."

I was beginning to think I was the only one! Thank you!

Back on topic (sorry!), I don't think they are hard per se, but they don't have a lot of modern streamlining that people brought up on, say, console rpg's from 2000 on up are used to. You have to grind more than a modern rpg (which I like... strange, I know), and there is usually not a lot of hand holding. Hope that helps :)

18. I actually loved 12 and 3 @_@
    13 is ok, the graphics are very good, but the gameplay isn't as good as 12 IMO. I think 12 just suited me very well.

19. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Yeah I like 12 too. It wasn't as character driven as the other games but the world and plot was really well developed making it a really immersive game. Well..everyone ranks the games differently. It is also easy to hate on ff13 because of all the 'bad press' etc. I know people who are unfairly biased against the game before they have even started playing it...but ff13 brought us Lightning!

20. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Same here. FF8 is garbage. :(