How important do you think music is?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dangerz, Jul 14, 2009.

1. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm debating pulling music from my app and only having sound effects. Almost everyone I've spoken to have said that they like listening to their own music.

Thoughts?

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

If you've gone to the trouble of having music you might as well leave it in. Then just detect if people are playing their own music and if so disable yours :)

3. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I'd never release a game without music.

4. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Then what's the problem?

Do it the Firemint (and J2ME) way - have a screen upon game loading that lets you pick if you want to play game music or your own. You could even 1up Firemint by having the 3.0 music controls built-in right there, at the start. I'd like to build something like that into my first app.

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    What's the problem? He's not the one asking the question =P

I always want music in my games. It gives the game a soul =O

6. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Definitely music. Especially for games where you want to evoke some sort of feeling/emotion, even some puzzle games need that.

Of course, you need to add the option to let users listen to their own music as well, but that does not mean disabling music completely!

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

I'd say I almost always prefer listening to a game's own soundtrack, unless it's terrible or too repetitive.

--Eric

8. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I like the vipValet music - adds to the frenzy :)

And I always listen to the game soundtrack rather than my own music. It usually really adds to the atmosphere, and makes the game a more immersive environment. A rich environment will make your game more sticky and draw the players back into it

As long as people have the option of listening to their own music instead, definitely leave it in there. And you don't really need the 3.0 music selection feature in there for that. As long as they're able to mute your game music and sound effects separately, and play their own music over it, it's fine.

9. cool mr croc

cool mr croc Active Member

May 27, 2009
    just a little bursts every now and then. like a treat.

10. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    My bad there! But still, I figure, leave it in and give them an option. And don't do it in an options menu (thereby cutting off the existing music until you navigate to the options menu) - do it at the beginning.

11. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yaa, I think I should just revamp the music screen. I usually just buy a music pack that I feel fits the game because it's hard to compose my own stuff. I was hoping to avoid any 3.0-specific features right now to give people time to upgrade.

The first screen of my apps is currently an 'Audio? Yes / No' screen, so it's the first thing they pick. I don't have music/sound fx seperated though. I'll try and put in a fix for that before the next release.

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Music definitely makes a difference to me, I'm not one of those who usually listens to their own music while playing games.

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I don't demand music, but I prefer it: I often want to just play a game and not have to bother picking my own soundtrack first. It also adds to the unique and memorable "character" of a game.