Good SHMUP powerups

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by ktfright, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    I'm currently making two completely different types of shmups (2d shooters if you do not know) but I don't want to have the basic gun and bomb powerup. Other than bullets and really long laser beams, what other powerup can be in a shmup shooter?

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Homing Missiles :D

3. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Aerial assaullt.

4. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    isn't that similar to a bomb?

5. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Mines
    Flamethrower
    Melee Weapons
    Rocket Launcher

6. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Definitely homing missiles is always a must for power-ups, but a much higher rate of fire and larger bullet spread are common too. S homing missile variant that charges a laser for a couple seconds while targeting nearby opponents, then destroying them all in simultaneous individual laser blasts could be possible. It'd work like a bomb, but look really cool in the process. I'd definitely buy it if that was in it, I know that.

If you decide to use elemental power-ups, a homing continuous-damage electrical attack like the one in "Dragon Force Light" is good, and as the previously mentioned flamethrower.

7. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Definitely Shields, maybe magnets if you are using coins and such as means of upgrading. Weapon spread was a good idea, especially doubling the amounts of bullets.

8. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Sort of, what I mean is "bombs" drop from the sky in a long line.

9. ktfright

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Maybe I'll also add a laser bar that moves through the level and kills all in it's path, like lov grav racer 2.