iPhone Diesel Tactics - A dieselpunk inspired, asynchronous turn based strategy game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by T-Go Co Games, Mar 23, 2013.

1. T-Go Co Games

T-Go Co Games Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for all the input, guys!

I'm not 100% happy with the icon yet either, and I agree with the comments that it doesn't say enough about the game. The idea for the icon was just sort of something that popped in my head, but I have no real experience designing cool icons.

What do you mean by zooming out a little? Make the robot smaller and show more of it?

Also, what would you guys do? I'm open to any suggestions, they can be totally different from what we have now!

We also did some mock ups of just a DT like this:

[​IMG]

But I feel like you want a character of some sort in the icon. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for the input Jcho133, madreviewer, and as always thanks Nullzone!

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The DT logo looks great, but funnily enough does not tell "game" to me.
    For me, it looks more like the logo for some creative software; either for graphics/video, sound, or writing. I think it's because I know the name of the game, but my first thought was "Diesel Textics" ;)
    Looking at it closer, the black "wheel" behind the letters looks a lot like an old movie reel.

3. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    That's pretty much my feeling about it as well. It's actually just a quick concept image, so that might explain the move reel feel to the cog!

4. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    Early look at Diesel Tactics maps!

We’ve finally got the first rendered backgrounds implemented in Diesel Tactics, as well as the different mission types all up and running!

We plan on having the ground of our maps actually being composed of individual grid squares each with their own terrain image combined to create the ‘floor’ for the units, so don’t worry about the current look of ground itself!

So with that in mind, here’s how starting deployment looks like in Diesel Tactics:

[​IMG]

Here are some images of some deployed troops. I’ll mention that the units aren’t quite finalized yet and they aren’t at their final scales!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are what the models for the terrain pieces in the cityscape map look like:

[​IMG]

Here are the same kinds of terrain in the snowy forest map:

[​IMG]

The ammo depot with the flag is a mission objective, the trees making the copse are light cover, the tree stump is impassable terrain, and the snow covered metal tent is heavy cover!

What do you guys think?

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    The cityscape looks okay, but not jawdropping.
    I like the character portraits (1st pic, 2nd guy from the left: is he wearing a monocle with his gasmask? If yes, cool detail) and the units.
    The snowscape is gorgeous, the visual style is right down my alley, best of the four. More of that, please!

6. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Now this looks cool! I'll be watching for this one.

7. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback, guys!

What don't you like with the city map? I find it's a bit dark, and right now it looks a little sparse, but that's partially because we haven't setup any terrain on map yet so it looks a little empty.

8. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    Diesel Tactics is playable!

The maps are all implemented now (though the art is not finalized!) and most of the terrain elements have been made, so we’re down tweaking scales and textures now, but almost all of the art and animation is done!

Again, the textures are not finished (especially the floor texture!), but I wanted to share some in game shots with everyone. Also note that the unit scales are not final and the units will be bigger and more spaced out in the final build!

These two images are of the same game with troops in (roughly) the same position, with the camera at different angles. I think that units moved under cover (like the motorcycle here) look really cool and make it obvious they are in cover!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here’s a similar unit layout with the camera pulled back. The ‘Move Your Units’ sign pops up at the start of the movement phase.

[​IMG]

Finally, here’s a look at moving the HT-A4 “Big Willie” Heavy Armour unit. The visuals for highlighting tiles is going to change as well, but here we’re showing invalid spaces in red, normal move spaces in blue, cover spaces in yellow, and run moves in purple with double arrows.

[​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think!

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    You're always welcome!
    That might actually be it about the citymap: that it feels a bit drab and empty.
    I cannot really put my finger on what exactly makes the difference, but the new pictures look a lot more appealing to me with the rusty pipes, even without any floor and buildings.

And I really like the unit portraits on the first picture. With the greater amount of details, they really take the cake from the human portraits in picture 3.

10. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    I totally agree with the rusty pipes bringing the level to life. Seeing the units move under cover is also really cool!

For the portraits, I agree with you as well. Some of the portraits will definitely change! The artillery piece, for example, is represented by a portrait of the artilleryman rather than the actual cannon, which is something we're going to change.

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hey, wondering if you are still alive and kicking. Been very quiet for many months now...

12. T-Go Co Games

Patreon Bronze

Feb 26, 2013
    Game Developer
    Montreal, Canada
    Hey Nullzone!

We were sort of dead in the water for a while there as there were some issues with the original team breaking up, but that's just been sorted through and literally just yesterday I've signed a contract with new team members to complete the project!

I wasn't updating anything for a while because I just didn't know what the fate of Diesel Tactics was going to be.

Now that we're starting up work again I'm hoping that I'll be posting progress updates regularly!

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Hey, good to see you back from the dead, so to speak ;)

Sorry to hear about the team breakup. And congratulations on getting thing sorted out and forming a new team. Fingers crossed that you can sail in smooth waters from now on...
    And no rush, give the poor new sods some time to settle in before you push them to "do stuff so I can feed the hungry maw that is TA" :p