Best iPhone games for iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by swarmster, Mar 8, 2010.

1. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    The iPad is less than 4 weeks away, and I'm sure most people intending on buying one are looking forward to the new world of apps and games created with the big screen and extra power in mind.

But no one knows how long it will take for the real interesting titles to launch, so in the first weeks we may still be turning to our large collections of iPhone games for entertainment. My question is, what iPhone games out now are going to be best served by the iPad?

Note: I'm talking about games in their current condition, unmodified, and merely pixel-doubled for use on the iPad as shown in the original iPad presentation. Not which games should be ported to run and display natively (although obviously that would be nice). These games will have some fundamental reason why they might work better or just differently on the big screen, even without programming changes. Having graphics that would scale up nicely is a must, too - be careful with anything 3D.

Also think carefully about anything that uses the accelerometer. This is a much bigger device we're talking about, and iPhone games might not be well tuned for the change.

My list:

Flight Control - More detailed path control and "tabletop command center" perspective may encourage tighter strategies.

Blastination - I think the bigger screen might make it easier to place your walls and picture the trajectory of your bounces. It might also better serve the concept of indirectly controlling the sliding "puck".

Spirit - Navigate in-between clouds of enemies with ease! Larger screen will keep your finger out of the way, and the existing ability to adjust sensitivity should come in handy.

Peggle - This may be stretching my rules a little, but it should look nice and I just have a feeling that the immediacy of the iPad will add that little bit extra to an already addictive game.

Hand of Greed - It will be interesting to see how this plays out with larger coins and blades to interact with.

Alphabetic - Even with larger letters, something tells me this won't be easier.

Flyloop - Always felt a little cramped compared to the original Orisinal Floats. Relaxing nature fits the laid-back style of the iPad.

Galcon - See "Flight Control" and "tabletop command center". The epic scale should be great for atmosphere. Unofficial single-screen co-op might actually even the odds against the harder CPUs.

Eliss - Even more a game of Twister than on the iPhone, although some maneuvering situations could benefit. Nice unofficial co-op opportunity, too!

TanZen - Tangrams has always been a better physical puzzle, and the iPad brings it one step closer.

MazeFinger - Should be easier to keep your finger within the maze, and traversing the mazes will require even more physical movement.

And just to make it an even dozen, what tablet could be complete without:

Solitaire

2. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Touchgrind and board games, like scrabble and monopoly

3. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    thumpies. eco punk.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    how could you forget Labyrinth

5. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Depict
    Board games (like Julzsantana said)
    Brushes
    Plants Vs. Zombies
    Cows in Space

6. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    boardgames
    +plants vs. zombies. i think accelorometer based games will be awful, cuz the device is pretty unweildy to be tilting all over the place. GTA will be sick, because you'll be able to see so much more of the city on the same screen.In depth RTS's like The Settlers might become popular (because the things that are crammed onto the iphone screen can now be spread out on the iPad. Pocket God will be crazy fun.

7. jacksoncombs

jacksoncombs Well-Known Member

um i have 1 question, im thinking about buying an ipad but can you play all the games i have for my iphone for the ipad without having to buy the apps again???

8. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    tap tap revenge:rolleyes:

9. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Here's some ideas:

Thumpies

Eliss (yeah, you mentioned it)

Enviro-Bear 2010

Labyrinth 2

Zen Bound

Spirit

Argon Synthesizer

Gloop

Geospark

Frenzic

10. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    The strategy games!

Especially Warfare Inc. It would be freakin epic. EPIC.

Sword and Poker would be great too.

11. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    oh right, red conquest

12. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Doodle Jump (heh heh)
    Pocket God
    geoSpark
    iBlast Moki (that would be great, you could zoom out more)
    Fieldrunners
    Angry Birds
    Plants vs. Zombies

lots of other games, but I plan on retrying every single one of my games on the iPad once I get one. That'll occupy me until the iPad-specific games. :p

13. frendil

frendil Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2009
    New Zealand!!
    I wonder if multiplayer would work cross platform, like one playing on the ipad while the other is on an itouch

14. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Of course it would, there's no reason why not, same app, (roughly) same OS, even if it was an iPad-specific version, you have Homerun Battle 3D on the iPhone and Android platforms to prove that.

15. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    all tower defense games :)

16. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    I would love to play red conquest on the ipad :D

17. ben18

ben18 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Canada!
    Touchgrind, if they make an ipad specific version (zoomed out)

18. swarmster

swarmster Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yes, you can play the iPhone versions on your iPad without buying them again. They will either display in their original size, or zoomed in to the size of the iPad screen (what we're talking about in this thread).

Really good call on iBlast Moki, I think. Being able to zoom in and out while still controlling the action was very forward looking of them in a sense, lol.

19. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    #20 Mathieu914, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Actually, the games that people with big fingers can't play.

No i'm kidding and it's a bad joke, if even it's one.

So, for the games, I would say Flight Control, Boom Brigade, Plant vs Zombie and strategy games as Lux or social games like Monopoly, etc.

I almost forgot.. Orbital would probably really nice on a iPad.