iOS 9 and pirating apps

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anonomation, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

After looking at app thinning in the future, I was wondering if anyone thinks that since the app is sliced up according to your device, that would cause problems for those pirating apps, having to get a specific torrent or whatever.

Just a thought.

2. IzumiNowa

IzumiNowa Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 31, 2015
    Unemployed/part-time job
    I sure hope so.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Wouldn't be surprised at all if professional pirates use this for advertising even:
    "Now XXX GB less to download!!! More space for your stolen apps on your device!"

The more fundamental question is how long it will take until someone finds a way to jailbreak iOS9.

P.S.: Look, it's the Spam Police hangout corner ;)

4. schnedi

schnedi Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2015
    if you download the app via itunes PC is fine(think).

5. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I don't think Apple puts a lot of thought into preventing piracy, but in this case, it might end up being a happy side effect. The motives for app slicing probably align closely with what Apple says they are: reducing file size and encouraging developers to make games that people can start playing immediately.

6. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #6 Nekku, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Since it is optional, I dont think this will cause problems to pirates at all. They'll download away like nothing happened, really. Besides that, there some crack freaks out there who dont give a shit. They just modify the files like they did with MC5 which was heavily protected by GL's server-based(!) DRM. Well it was just a matter of time.