Deep strategy games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Voley, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Voley

Voley Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Recently I have found urge in me to play some hardcore strategy game on my device.
    I have already tried Ascension and was not impressed. Also tried Civilization Revolution, it is ok mostly but laggy scroll kills me.
    Would you recommend any other cool strategy games? Like master of orion or civilization?

2. Human X

Human X Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Gamer
    Australia
    Uniwar is a great strategy RTS game. It is the grandfather of Outwitters and Great Little War Game.

3. RazvanGNR

RazvanGNR Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I recommend with all my heart that you try Ravenmark! :)

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Starbase Orion is a bit better than Ascension (and closer to MOO, IMHO)
    King of Dragon Pass looks like a gamebook, but has a lot more to it.
    Red Conquest! is an RTS, but has a decent amount of complexity/depth (and is not your typical RTS)
    Slay / Conquest! are more chesslike, but good "quick" strategy games.
    And for some reason The Kings keeps sneaking back into my head - it's an oldie but a goodie.

5. bananovvy

bananovvy Member

Jun 29, 2012
    Warfare inc - Great free strategy with game of the year award! the best strategy game in appstore

6. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    That's what she said!

7. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Outside of some previously stated above (Starbase Orion which I would strongly reccomend the most with Uniwar, Ravenmark, and Ascension). Some of my personal favs:

- Battle for Wesnoth is a classic with deep diverse strategy, a ton of units to play as that are upgradable, and a very generous amount of campaigns to keep you busy.

- Defender Chronicles II (see sig) endless strategy, solid rpg elements, beautiful artwork, a ton of character diversity, several modes of gameplay, and a great progression system implemented. This is one of my favorites and don't see myself parting with it until III releases.

- Neuroshima Hex is one of the best strategy board games iOS has to offer. I'd reccomend getting all IAP factions too as they'll add to the strategy and diversity. Once you get used to the gameplay mechanics, you'll find it a very good strategy game in general.

- Magic 2013, Ghost Stories, Elder Signs, Food Fight, Ticket to Ride, Summoner Wars, and Carcassonne are really good strategy board games (speaking for iPad).

8. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    My favorite two strategy games on IOS are Battle of Wesnoth and Battle Academy (ipad only). They both have great gameplay, with depth, as well as lots of content.

9. cookthroughtheages

cookthroughtheages Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Is Battle Academy worth the 20 dollars? And Wesnoth even if its not getting anymore upgrades?

10. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #10 violentv, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  11. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    My list broken down by sub-genre:

TBS: Battle Academy (iPad). Yes the price of admission is very steep for an iOS game (wish slitherine would release a demo for those on the fence) its well worth it if you're into war games at all.
    RTS: Autumn Dynasty (iPad).
    Card: Magic 2013 (iPad)
    4X: Starbase Orion
    Text: King of Dragon Pass

12. cookthroughtheages

cookthroughtheages Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    I second this along with Total War Battles!

13. terORSIspy

terORSIspy Member

Aug 6, 2012
    if its good i would prob get an iPad just for it. Sorely miss the depth and strategy of Magic

14. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Wesnoth, and Palm Kingdoms 2 (for the TBS).

15. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    @@ Don't have a PC ?

16. hfhd574

hfhd574 Active Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Imperium galactica.... It's a 3d empire builder that's better than ascendancy and the iOS version of civilization

17. terORSIspy

terORSIspy Member

Aug 6, 2012
    only 1 for work :( trying to keep it for work purposes only

18. Timother

Timother Member

Aug 11, 2012
    seo executive
    new york
    Hi

well there are so many interesting games and you can try the games like knight of wars ;; the dark night ... i am sure you will like these games

19. playpunk

playpunk Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Teacher, curator, author, artist
    San francisco
    Can't believe no one has mentioned le havre. This game has become my favorite game on my entire iPad even though I frankly suck at it. Deep strategy with so many paths to victory, you'll want to try them all or devise your own. It's got a fairly steep learning curve but is well worth the extra effort.