Universal Lunar Silver Star Story Touch - (by SoMoGa)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Flynn Taggart

Flynn Taggart Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Hey, it looks like their other rpg, Vay, just went free.

2. Joeavery

Joeavery Active Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Midwest

Ah cool, appreciate it. I'll try that.

3. I had this for the Sega cd a long time ago.
    Now I have it again. Wish they would bring over popful mail and Snatcher as well.

4. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Any way to disable the bar at the top of the screen with the time and battery bar?
    By the way. Controls are a huge leap ahead of vay on iOS.

5. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #105 SkyMuffin, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
    Game Impressions

I would like this as well. The status bar sticking around is a bit annoying and hindersimmersion.

Initial impressions:
    -sound is a perfect port and it comes through very clearly.
    -minor thing: this is definitely the Saturn port, or at least the dub from it. i know because the voice for Nall is different from the PSX one. this is not necessarily bad, however: this voice actor is way less annoying and shrill. So far all other voices are the same.
    -minor: the intro song is slightly different from PSX but still excellent.
    -the flexible dpad is great! the portrait fixed dpad is also really nice.
    -tap-to-move controls are not bad but there is almost no path-finding, unfortunately, which means you must always tap places that are a straight line from your character. you eventually get used to it but it is a bit annoying. I'll probably stop noticing after a few hours of play.
    - looks great on small screens and retina, very good on iPad 2. not sure about how it would appear on retina iPad. it's already a bit pixely which is not bad, but it may look blurry on the retina iPad. I don't know since I don't have one.
    -I can't seem to change options from in game (only in the main menu)? little weird but no big deal.
    -there are eight achievements and seven of them are actually not bad, throwaway ones like the recent FF7 PC re-release. one is simply "level up once!" which is okay with me. I'm just happy because I wasn't expecting any achievements at all.
    -speaking of achievements-- please, please, add one for "discovering the true origin of dragon diamonds". everyone who has played the game knows what I'm talking about. :p it would make me very happy to have that as an achievement.
    -there is a leaderboard for end game score (no idea how that is calculated), AND, for all of you speed-run gamers-- a leaderboard for completion time.
    -the font size scaling for iPad is PERFECT for people like me who have bad eyes. thank you for this. very large and readable.

this is a really excellent port and I am so excited about diving into it. youve captured eveything perfectly. great work!

6. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    It looks decent on the retina iPad.

And I agree with the current reviews so far - a couple minor control/menu nitpicks, but for the most part, this appears to be an excellent port.

7. nall

nall Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    In general, we do accept suggestions for future titles. That said, I have played Popful Mail, and off the top of my head, I think this would be difficult to play on an iOS device, but you're welcome to PM me an argument to the contrary. :)

SkyMuffin, we really appreciate the feedback. Positive and negative feedback alike. (We do intend to ship updates if anyone is curious, plus we keep feedback for review when developing future titles.)

On that note, I did want to note I believe there are a couple achievements that are hidden by default.

8. MarcusQT3

MarcusQT3 Active Member

Jun 18, 2011
    The virtual d-pad really needs to be more like bastion and less like it is now.

9. reverse channel

reverse channel Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Just like to point out that the intro and the dub are from the PSP version of Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, which is hilarious because I'm sure Vic Ireland is throwing a fit right now, considering that he shunned XSeed (the localizers of the PSP version) for not giving him complete creative control. Now their dub is over a (visual) port of his version of the game. Too funny.

Also, I have a feeling that the dub is what kept this title delayed for so long. Glad XSeed had a hand in getting this released.

10. furushotakeru

furushotakeru Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I've just discovered that this feature was removed from the final version. It was awfully convenient for testing purposes though!

11. sirrozha

sirrozha Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #111 sirrozha, Sep 20, 2012
    It’s an incredibly lame port. Like you know, iPhone games from the beginning: default menus, lame page flipping and things. Status bar is imminent. Oh god why. English dubbing. No japanese voice (actually it’s present, but no options). No subtitles.
    Sonic CD was best port ever.

This is absolutely no way that games like this should be treated.

The game itself contains some PSP files, but still... Lunar: Silver Star Harmony would be better thing to port. And not by this SoMoGa developer. Still waiting for someone to test Saturn.emu on iPhone 5.

12. nall

nall Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    #112 nall, Sep 20, 2012
    I don't know what you mean by default menus, all of the UI keeps the original look-and-feel except for the load menu, which was re-designed to incorporate lots of saves with screenshots and extra information.

A couple options had to be pulled last minute... the game is fully bilingual, and in the first update, we hope to re-add the functionality to let you choose which bits and pieces you'd like in which language.

The status bar is there because some iPhone gamers do care a lot about battery life, whether they have reception, .etc given that it is their phone. However, I understand your viewpoint so we're going to offer an option to hide it.

13. sirrozha

sirrozha Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #113 sirrozha, Sep 20, 2012
    OK, now we’re talking. I apologize for the harsh opinion right there. I’ll try to be more accurate.

1) The main menu, when you open the game should be redesigned. I dunno, it just feels outdated, nobody makes games like that. It’s a port of an old game, there is no place for default iOS bottom bar and cover flow cards. It should be something more classic.
    It does not work in the portrait mode. The “New Game” card is small and badly aligned. In landscape it works as intended.

2) Bilinguality is good. My point is that you could chose japanese voice acting and english subtitles. I think it would be a prefered way to any player (imo).

3) Look at Square-Enix ports: FFT: WotL, TWEWY—they have integrated clock/battery level into the game—and that’s awesome and convenient. As an option it would be good. But since iOS 5 was released there is no point in status bar in games—you just pull down the notification center.

4) My other suggestion is to add pixel perfect mode. No stretching, no blurring, no filters, just the highest resolution possible in landscape. The image should be aligned at the top with controls at the bottom, or either be centered.

5) Buttons should be at least marked with A/B or something.

6) Please, don’t make in-game menu (inventory) transparent—it looks awful. At least include an option. And that flip page transition is awful too, it’s not a notepad, why it is there for the first place? Just make it instant.

7) Option of a fixed D-pad and/or Analog Joystick is needed.

8) iCade support and ability to remove (make them transparent / semi-transparent) the on-screen controls would be good.

9) In the dialogues just rough portraits on semi-transparent planks do not look good. Maybe some borders, I dunno.

To make things clear: all the above is for landscape mode, I don’t care much about portrait one.

I hope my points make sense and I really hope that you will improve this port. Thank you.

14. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Wow! Normally this would be an insta buy for me but with a lot of great games recently I just need to start getting more picky.

Few questions if I may:

1) Can you affect the character development on level up? (skills, perks to choose from etc.)

2) Are there extra characters that you can use to customize your party as you see fit?

3) Are there any secrets and/or side quests you wouldn't find when normally playing through the plot?

15. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Good morning guys. I already bought the game and am gonna download it later. This can't be a really bad port cuz they did a decent job with Vay. Yes the giant bar at the world map was annoying and yes the menues were kind of an
    Eyesore. But it was pretty good. I'll give my option on it later today :D

16. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Downloaded, but I'll wait until I can give it my full attention to break into it. But it was a nice surprise to see Vay free this morning. Two for the price of one, basically. Thanks.

17. picohero

picohero Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Would've annoyed me if Vay was free, if it wasn't good, and if I had gotten it recently. Vay is pretty good, especially for being the first rpg on the AppStore.

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    This is a somewhat awkward but still very playable port. I don't mind the ideas of the visible info bar (clock, etc.) and portrait mode, but I think both should have an option to disable. The controls work well for me, though tap your destination doesn't know how to route you around objects it still works pretty well, and the virtual pad is good. The iOS standard game top menu does feel a bit cheap. A menu that resembled the game menus would have been nice. The framerate doesn't seem great but really doesn't bother me the large majority of the time. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot despite all that. After all it's mostly about the game and it plays pretty well, they just didn't put much in the way of frills on the port.

19. NMNFTU

NMNFTU New Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Holy cow. The game is fine, good job! Some of these options would be nice, but it doesn't make it "terrible". I'm enjoying myself playing a game that I find a classic.

My only "complaint" would be that sometimes there's an awkwardness in holding the phone because sometimes it'll misconstrue it as "taps" and totally jump some dialogue boxes. Also, the leveling up stats disappear incredibly quickly.

20. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Still no gameplay videos anywhere?