Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Beer? hmm that's for the end of the day. Some quality espresso for now :)

New ship? That's the idea :)

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    New ship!!! Yes!!!!!

3. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #843 SumoSplash, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
    This one just jumped into my head... It may sound like a generic source of inspiration, but I always liked the laser cannons from the smaller walkers from Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. You remember, the walkers that were in the forrest that were on two legs. I think a ship with cannons like those on each wing would looks awesome. You could even have four cannons, two on each wing, firing at varied intervals.

Oh boy, the thought of a new ship and the ideas are just going to start pouring. And not just from me, but from every shooter fan that visits this thread.

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Take notice the cannons :D:eek:

None of the weapons are really 'cannon' shots on any of the other ships, either.

4. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    haha, big star wars fan here so I know all the ins and outs of the AT-ST :) Those guns, including the ones from the AT-AT, have legendary sound design as well. Love'em.

We are currently working on 2 concepts...both involve 1-hit deaths :)

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Hey i have a wild idea for a new ship... It may be a little hard to balance, but, here goes.

A masochist type of ship that feeds on enemy bullets. It has a life bar that steadily depletes, and it's "cockpit" needs to be catching bullets to increase scores and keep the life bar. Maybe not a ship per se, something that "feeds" on bullets. An alien or a robot of sorts.

Tricky part is that it can only feed one type of bullet (maybe the basic small round ones?). All the other bullet types kill you in one hit (maybe more and reduce the life bar some more, depends on how balancing changes this).

Grazing (maybe a bigger grazing radius) on enemy SHIPS increases multipliers, BUT being close to them increases the rate at which the life bar drops. This'll encourage a more strategic up-close & from-afar approach to playing it.

The hard part is balancing the scoring and balancing the rate at which life drops, but i think it's a good change in the way a shmup feels and plays.

My $0.02.

6. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Thanks all the feedback is welcome. Balancing the score is not a concern now that each ship has its own leaderboard :)

I think catching enemy bullets is a bit too easy, or at least, it feels like there would need to be something else to it as well. Not sure yet. I once considered bouncing back bullets at enemy ships with a curved reflector/bumper on your ship, which is pretty neat, but where's the challenge?

We are currently juggling a couple of new mechanics. None of the experiences feel complete yet, like a limited invulnerability when you're not moving, but a reward for not using it and some other nifty things attached :) We're aiming at shorter gameplay sessions than any of the other ships. We really want "2 minute games", instead of 10 :)

Carrying on!

7. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Make the new ship with a toothpaste laser!

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah.. i guess it might be a little too easy, i thought the draining lifebar could counter it, as well as catching the wrong type of bullets which hurt you.

Oh well... Since we have Small ships, what about a Battleship (like a boss ship) next with multiple cannons (kinda like being the badguy instead now), and each cannon (with varied shot types like homing, spread, straight, etc) shoots on their own and take damage as normal, and then theres a shield effect when tapping the cannons, one with a cooldown and a duration? Weapon upgrades increase shield duration instead, or maybe decrease cooldowns. Lose all cannons and it's game over maybe... or a cockpit that doesnt shoot, but has to be protected like the other cannons.

Maybe have the ship move (slow) with swipes to make it more strategic than a tapfest as they can avoid some bullet with moving too?

I think it'd be cool to play a familiar shmup and play as a bad guy type instead. :D

Sorry about the ideas, im just kinda excited as to what you have in store for us with the upcoming updates and stuff.

9. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    You mean like the lock on laser in Raiden? Oh man, if that's what you mean, that was always my favorite laser. I just love heat seaking and lock on *drool*

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    You know, for a runner guy, your wheels sure are turning with these shooters :p

11. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I blame Syntheticvoid and Sunny Tam. Actually, Selachii is another one to blame too.:p:D:cool:

I also have another idea :)P)...

How about a ship that needs to graze to gain energy and at when maxed out it becomes unstable energy and your ship becomes temporarily invulnerable, while the shield can damage enemies. In effect, during this burst time, You have a chance to get up close and attack (attack is the small radius around the ship) using the duration of the burst. After a duration, the energy field dissipates, and you have to start grazing again to be able to deal damage after you've accumulated more energy.

Ok... imma stop with the ideas now. :D

12. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    That thing again!

Thanks for sharing your ideas, any input is always valuable as it might trigger a new train of thought.

Right now we're charging bars that can trigger EMP waves....that also destroy stuff :eek:

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cool beans! Right on!

14. Yeah, EP is even thinking about buying an icade core for this game and Danmaku 2, pretty amazing...

Maybe he will forget about endless runners one day... Probably not.

Attached Files:

15. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Anyone know the best ship to buy?

16. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I think we all have our own preferences... But I think the most popular would be the Trinity

17. I would like to see the topic of drones that fall from the sky at random times or fixed intervels if possible.

18. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    #858 RCranium666, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Jawohl. Except from Raiden4.

Another thing I like is how enemy ships look like recognizable sci fi ships, e.g. One looks like a Romulan Warbird. An enterprise, galactica, Klingon, star destroyer etc. A rotating base ship (bsg) would be cool too.

19. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Can I turn off auto-fire?

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    May you or can you? Just kidding. No, you can not turn it off.