Are gameplay videos important to you?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by minyx, Oct 15, 2010.

1. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Hey guys,

I'm a developer and I ask myself if you really watch gameplay videos (like on youtube) before you purchase a game and if you skip games without gameplay videos.

/edit: I hope this is the right forum for this thread.

2. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Video's are a suresell for me. I have been burnt badly in the past by buying a game based off screenshots only to see that gameplay wasnt what I imagined, or framerates were horrible.

EDIT ADD: Doesnt have to be a trailer or internal recording, just a video of someone playing it would work.

Ide say a video would = alot more sales.

3. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Gameplay videos are definately important as they show the gameplay, which can't be shown by screenshots.
    I rarely buy a game without watching a gameplay video first.

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    The gameplay video/review is pretty much a must.

5. deltamikealpha

Jun 30, 2010
    We've been looking at this recently - What's said above definitely gets echoed a lot. Also - the quality of the video seems just as important as making one in the first place - Use the simulator or a good quality camera, and edit the thing with some love - make it look like a good quality professional piece of media.

6. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Yes, I watch a lot of gameplay videos. It's the best way to avoid disappointment.

7. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #7 f e a r l e s s, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
    Yes.

Edit: I don't care how pretty the video is. Just want to see how the game plays. I've seen lots of "cool" videos that last 30 seconds with only 3 seconds of actual game play. Those are crap.

Edit #2: Also prefer to see "fingers on the device" play the game vs the others... Whatever you call it. Sorry tired today... lol

8. Enco

Enco Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2010
    This.

If the dev releases a shoddy video edited in WMM then it'll greatly detract from the credibility.

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Gameplay videos are extremely important for me. Screenshots can do a game justice, but more often than not a gameplay video definitely sells me on the game first.

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I only watch a video if I like the look of a game but don't get the concept. Eh Doodle Jump would be an instant purchase but something like Tilt to Live or Osmos cannot really be explained - a video is easier.

11. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Before I buy a game I usually read 2 or 3 pro reviews (Touch Arcade, Slide To Play, etc), I read some customer reviews on iTunes, and then I go to YouTube and look for a gameplay video.

12. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Oh wow, I didn't think that videos are that important. Maybe that's why my game is not selling too well ;)

Guess I'll have to make a video now.

Thank you guys for your input!

13. migo

migo Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    A video certainly helps, yes, although a solid review does too. Touch Arcade is nice for giving you a look at promising games with some 2 minute videos and a quick overview, but some in depth reviews would be nice.

14. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Uh, getting a review on a well known site like Touch Arcade is really not that easy. I hope you guys don't just dismiss games because there's no review yet.

15. tecwrtr

tecwrtr Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Senior Technical Writer
    Richmond, VA
    No, we don't, but getting people to write some in-depth reviews on this site in your game's thread helps a lot. ataloss, LordVader, and several others do some great reviews. I'm a technical writer, and I do some shorter ones. However, we have 10 to 20 people that will do several paragraphs of great info. That really influences sales. IMHO. Best of luck.

16. Iphonerox

Iphonerox Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    Defiantly. I never buy an app with out one. There so many apps that have misleading screenshots and descriptions and some are along the lines of scam.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Depends on the game. It kinda gets split into three categories for me. Some of them are presented well enough through the screens that I can tell it's exactly what I want, others aren't so clear and I want a better idea of what's going on, and the third type is when I'm just not interested at all... then happen to see a video and it changes my mind.

Every game should have a video though, not least because it helps build interest before your game is even released.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That means you don't have PathPix. How are you still alive?

19. Max_TO

Max_TO Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    The youtube vids showing game play ate cool but I am not a fan of the in game opening videos

20. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Of course they are! It's not like console games where we get demos weeks before the fact, chances are the closest way people can get to understanding the game works is by seeing gameplay. All devs should have a gameplay video ready to show people BEFORE the game is released.

Exactly. Look at Blue Hole 3D, a great polished game that has been trying to get reviewed by Toucharcade and other sites to no avail.