Mac Mini for iPhone development, what specs should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GDSage, Aug 16, 2010.

1. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Apologies if this is an often asked question, I'm scanning for a mac mini for app development and I want to know what sort of minimum setup I can get away with while still experiencing a relatively smooth dev environment.

Pro 2 duo is dead certain for the type of CPU, as is 2GB for RAM, but what about the CPU clockspeed and the GPU? Is it necessary to have a mini with the nvidia GPU's or could I get away with using the intel SoC ones?

I would be very grateful for any advice from first-hand experience. Thank you.

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Why do I get the feeling they'll be upgrading the mini to an i3, within 6 months?

3. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

The bog standard MacMini model is fine.

Better is good, of course, but the bog standard one is perfectly capable.

4. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for the reply.

When you say bog standard, in what areas do you speak of? 1GB RAM, intel integrated graphics, etc?

5. DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    London, UK
    #5 DavidHolliss, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Would guess he means the lowest spec current model?

As long as it has 1GB of memory and a Core 2 Duo CPU you'll be fine :) integrated graphics chip is fine.

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Pretty sure lowest model comes with 2gig ram and an Nvidia GeForce card now.

7. DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2008
    London, UK
    Sorry I meant if he was looking to buy one second hand.

8. OneEye

OneEye Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    #1 spec = cheap

anything else is a bonus...

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    He said 'Intel' Integrated graphics. This was fine for a while, I developed Ground Effect on a '08 mid range white macbook (2.4 core 2 duo, Intel graphics, 4gb RAM) and it worked fine until I started looking into GLES2.0 and found the Simulator running slower than the phone. This has only got worse with iPad and Retina which chug along at about 6 FPS in the simulator.

The machine also didn't have the speed to do a full speed movie grab when I was making videos of Ground Effect.

What you said about 'current model' is probably true though, I imagine the NVidia chips in the most basic macbooks and minis are more than powerful enough. That said, i'm taking no chances, my i7 based quad core imac should be here in a few days :)

10. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Exactly, buying new for the latest model (even for lowest spec) would set one back 650 squid. A little too much for what is essentially a toe-dipping exercise.