iPhone Contradiction (by Tim Follin)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 15, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Agreed on the leads acting. # almost like a bad Doctor Who.
    However, this is definitely on my must get at some point list.

2. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I am quite surprised to see this type of game still being published today. It is much as an experiment as a throwback to the oldie FMV (Full Motion Video) adventure games of yore.

I like to know how this is different in terms of gameplay from those titles. This is because those titles are no longer being produced in part because the gameplay mechanics are extremely limited and game length is usually very short. This subgenre of adventure games had largely faded away for the PC nowadays.

3. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Jolly posted a great video. The game seems really long at 8 hours of gameplay.

4. Uprising Elton

Uprising Elton Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I'll say this, comparing it to any other FMV game you've ever played isn't worth doing. It's quite different in that the order you can do things, and the fact you have to explore a bit, makes it a bit closer to a point and click adventure than any older FMV games.

It's quite captivating. The video quality and the seemless nature of the game put it on a different level to anything even vaguely similar you might think you have ever seen (but you haven't!).

5. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    Are there any subtitles for dialogue in this game, since I don't see any in the gameplay video? It always puzzles me when game developers ignore hearing impaired players.

Otherwise, the game certainly looks good, but I will have to pass unless there are subtitles.

6. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    My studio is working on some similar titles - albeit different genres. One quite experimental but won't plug anything here or link to a website or social media. Great to see the response! Perhaps we might collaborate sometime, Tim.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I mostly game on my iPhone, so it would get played more for that fact alone. I guess I might try it since I do have an older iPad, as long as it'll work.

8. JollyPostman

JollyPostman Member

Jul 19, 2012
    #28 JollyPostman, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Although there are no subtitles, there are notes written down for every conversation you have in your notebook. I think I read on Kickstarter that Tim is planning on adding subtitles at some point!

9. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Man I love this game. I'm traveling & spent the night looking for a contradiction & when I found it a whole new trail opened up. Right when I was getting really frustrated I watched a video replay & in that video I heard a clue that drove me directly to a contradiction. So if you get stuck re-watch a few videos you think may be important. It's getting really interesting & lots of new twists. Such a great game!

10. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    I'm really enjoying the game, but I've hit a wall. I'm at the 9:00 hour and 56% complete, but I'm stuck. The hint just says "Who is lying?" and the Chief won't answer my call. Any hint(s) would be much appreciated!

11. JollyPostman

JollyPostman Member

Jul 19, 2012
    The developer has hints on their website here:

http://baggycat.com/pneumafilms/

12. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
  13. islesfan

islesfan Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Male
    Teacher
    Nevada
    Please, please, please make more of these games! We've been playing it as a family using the AppleTV and its a blast!

14. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Great update. It's nice to see all replies in one place. Much easier than going back & forth.

15. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Too bad there is no iPhone version ...

16. JollyPostman

JollyPostman Member

Jul 19, 2012
    When will this game be reviewed by TA? 148Apps reviewed it last week!

17. frisnit

frisnit New Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I came here wondering the same, mainly to see what others thought of it, as I thought it was a great game.

There have been so many failed attempts at getting an FMV game working, but this not only works, it is far superior to anything I've ever seen/played. In that respect it's groundbreaking (especially being able to play something like this on a mobile device), so I'm surprised it hasn't been reviewed really.

18. JollyPostman

JollyPostman Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I fully agree. I can't believe this game isn't going crazy on the AppStore! It's absolutely amazing in so many different ways!

19. RampageDeluxe

RampageDeluxe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2013
    This is a well made game, but the story is heavily occult oriented. I'm not comfortable with that, so It's a waste of money for me. I don't mind the quirkiness of the characters. It only seems to be the main detective that is quirky. It doesn't detract from the game, though.

20. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    What do you mean occult oriented? I already have this game but I have not downloaded it to my device yet. Does this game have anything sexual in it? I thought I would play this with the family.