Universal iDOS 2 - DOS Emulator (by Litchie)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by litchie, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Amalah

Amalah Well-Known Member

How do you edit the cfg file? I saved it from iTunes, then I try opening it in Wordpad. But when it opens the cfg file just contains some text I saved to my clipboard earlier. I'm very confused.

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    araczynski posted this link earlier in the thread:
    http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

From the looks of it, there are 4 core options: simple, normal, dynamic, and auto. Dynamic doesn't work on my 4th gen iPod touch, but normal does. Normal is probably better than simple, and may help performance on some of the heavier games.

3. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    no crap, the scroll bar does not move this is it , it does not go below this.... not a computer noob!!!! lol

4. mojoman0

mojoman0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    nesticle works and fwnes work. both extremely slow cause an emulator inside emulator is really slow

5. mojoman0

mojoman0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2009
    haha sorry but it wasn't extremely obvious when I did it myself

6. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    WTF why dont i have file sharing options...is there something i needed to install

7. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Also, speaking of which why is windoes 3.1 free? I thought microsoft is strict on its os's even old ones cause ppl could just use those instead of the new ones on brand new built pcs for basic internet, printing, word, etc.?

8. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    what if someone codes one better and releases it online instead of the app store? Do you guys think it would be possible to make a good one (designed for the touch interface and all)? Apple couldnt do shat than could they? It would be useful for the ppl who grabbed this but misse dout on the native nes emu months ago or who recently got an ipad.

9. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

#509 sticktron, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
    coolio :)

Attached Files:

10. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    A little more general info --

You can add an autoexec.bat section into the dospad.cfg file.

To make it easier to load Dos Navigator, gwbasic, and games, I added their folders into the path.

Code:
    [autoexec]
    SET PATH=C:\DN;C:\BASIC;C:\GAMES
    I can start dn, gwbasic, or the games in the game folder from any folder now.

11. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    the problem is the software running is a emulation to run another emulation software on top of that requires alot more memory to run it smoothly... dont forget not only is the emulation software running another emulation software that software also has to run the roms or whatever on top of that which is even more memory...

12. GaurhothW

GaurhothW New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    My son saw me playing Space Quest 1.

"what's that? It looks really boring."

:::sigh:::

There is no hope for this generation is there?!?

13. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #513 Maniacfive, Oct 27, 2010
    i say take care with this, have only just now recovered my iPad following a needed restore. Which was caused by my deleting the cfg file and re-opening iDOS to recreate it.

It bricked my Ipad requiring the restore. I would suggest not having the iPad connected to iTunes when you re-open iDOS. Mine was, and disaster struck, yet many files had been transferred earlier without problem.

on an aside, could someone tell me how to change the CPU cycles on the iPad? i tried WC2 earlier but it was so slow it was unplayable, since then I see another forum member had it playing but had their CPU cycles set to 10000. And WC2 was playable.

14. Depend on his age.

15. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    How can something THIS USELESS fill me with so much glee?

[​IMG]

16. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    #516 Maniacfive, Oct 27, 2010
    I don't know either, but i really want to get windows running on my iPad for no other purpose other than, why the hell not. hmmm, how do i get 24 floppy disks worth of old backup disks onto the iPad. ;-)

17. sonofstev

sonofstev Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Space Quest 1 and Wasteland run great on the ipad. Elder Scrolls Arena is very slow. I need to track down Star Control II and see how that runs!!

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Guys, this thread brings back some really good old memories and how we wasted our good times back then. Thank you.

Also, I tried to unzip World At War: Operation Crusader with no luck. Turns out it is likely as one post pointed out: the unzip tool does not work with nested directories, so bummer...need to zip each directory or try PKZIP (but it is not free!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pkzip

Note: the options/switch back then must be followed after the command but not after the filename, unlike conventional DOS command, so it should be:

pkunzip -d yourfile.zip

(it may have changed by now...)

Any alternate unzip tool? (7zip?)

Still haven't gone anywhere else much other than Ms Pac Man, but just find out that if you type

exit

The whole emulator freezes but you can still use the Home button to quit it.

For abandonware, try also Home of the Underdog:

http://www.hotud.org/

Enjoy and you guys, again, are amazing!

Next, if somebody tests the water again with old MacOS, my $$$ is in! (I know someone is working on the AmigaOS thing)

19. jac2982

jac2982 Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Ok dummies guide to unzipping for those still having issues.

in itunes drop the .zips so they show up in the main drive within dos (C:\)
    when at command prompt make a directory you plan to store the program in, IE

C:\>md test
    then copy the zip into that directory

C:\> copy C:\test.zip C:\test
    you should get a confirmation that the copy was a success
    then go into the made directory
    C:\>cd test
    then unzip
    C:\test>unzip "test.zip"
    for me the quotes were essential. This has so far worked for every program for me. Hope this helps

20. DotComCTO

DotComCTO Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Chief Technology Officer
    Westchester County, NY
    I tried this today and the Apple BT keyboard did NOT work.

--DotComCTO