Is that mean Apple application reviewer stolen my Idea?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by thothling, May 21, 2010.

1. thothling

thothling Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #1 thothling, May 21, 2010
    Last edited: May 21, 2010
    Hello,
    I am an iphone application developer, like you.
    I submitted an application "Developer Toy" on April 29, in review on May 04, and rejected on May 13.
    The main feature of my application is "design Iphone app interface on iphone, generate and Email code."

Apple rejected my application said " No interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application" and" An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code".
    After I explained that my application was written all by objective c, and just generated some text,not interpreted code. it was in review again on May 14.

May 18, David Arno from apple sent me an Email :
    Please contact me at your earliest convenience regarding your application submission. My direct line is XXXXXX. Or please let me know a time and number that is convenient for me to reach you.

I left my phone number on May 18, and nobody ever called me.

Today, I found an application, just same as my application, on appstore.
    Same function,"design iphone app on iphone, generate and Email code."
    It was released on May 18.

Remember my application reviewer name? David
    That similar application, has only one reviewer on itunes, named iDaveUS.
    Many developer leave first review for their own application, isn't it?
    Link of that application is
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dapp/id370888555?mt=8

other applications developed by him were all very simple games. you can see that. it's not related to this application at all.

Is that possible

this David from apple reviewed my application, rejected it, develop a same application and release it?

Why my application was rejected and a similar application(same function) was approved?
    Why nobody called me?
    Why 1 David rejected my application and 1 David leave a 5 star review to a similar application?
    Why this person, after developing some games. Suddenly design this application?

I am the developer of Diy Dict, the basic concept of DiyDict is same as this interface design application, DiyDict let users design their own handbooks on iphone,just like they are developing their own application. and DiyDict can generate websites. They are different application, but just copy DiyDict code can build this interface design application. [most functions of developer toy came from DiyDict]

2. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    #2 bmn0210, May 21, 2010
    There's no way to be sure, but if that's what you suspect, your first step should probably be to obtain a copy of that app's IPA, open it up and look for any similarities to yours. If he's stolen your code there's no way he'll have been able to disguise that fact in the few days he had between receiving the email and the app being listed for sale.

A quick search shows me that a cracked version of the IPA already exists - you might want to consider downloading that and having a look at it. Technically illegal, yes, but there's an argument to be made that it's fair use, and I see no moral issues with that if you don't use it for anything else or install it.

3. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Id definatley try to check the IPA. Keep all records of Emails of Submissions and refusals, your copy of the App that you originally sent in unmodified, and check out the .IPA files of the other app in question. And Good Luck!

4. thothling

Dec 23, 2009
    Just find it. Never look into ipa format before :(
    That David is definitely from apple, nobody else knows my application's name, and that Email address, It's not my application support Emailbox.

5. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    IPA is just an archive format. Open it with Winrar or whatever archiver you use and check out the .app directory.

6. thothling

Dec 23, 2009
    #6 thothling, May 21, 2010
    Can't find the code..

If some apple app reviewer rejected my app, and then develop a same application, publish it.
    even if not copying my code, isn't that illegal?

or else they can reject anybody's application, and develop a same one.
    if they like an idea of an app, just reject it, and develop a new one?

the excuse they use to reject my application is totally nonsence

7. thothling

Dec 23, 2009
    His application just got updated.
    My applications takes about 7 days waiting for review.
    And his application, takes at most 3 days

8. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    There's no way to change a binary without keeping a significant proportion of the original (compiled) code and structures. The best anyone could have done in that time is a basic decompilation and changing a few relatively simple things, like labels or basic interface features. It's not the code you're looking for, it's the general structure. The .app directory is the compiled project and will resemble yours if it's plagiarized.

If it's not, then he's not committing plagiarism, nor can he be said to be creating a derivative work, i.e. liable under copyright law.

I still think that something strange is going on, all the same

9. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    David Arno would never do that. I've seen apps on the store that violate rules. We should all know by now that the app review process isn't perfect.

10. bmn0210

Feb 13, 2010
    Are you working alone or as part of a company? If the latter, are you sure it's not one of your employees?

11. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
  12. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Agree with lukeca.

And David is a common name in the whole world.
    From google, i found 3,663,641 people has David as first name in the USA alone. go figure.

To tell a similar story, i too thought of a new idea of the iphone app in Dec. In Jan, just as I about to release it, i made a search in itunes, and there is one already. i was like 1 week late.

Ideas a bound to be the same since we live in the same world.