Universal Evolving Planet: where strategy becomes science

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by xrubio, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Hi all! I'm part of a small development team that has been working on a strategy game for a while now.

The game is called Evolving Planet, and it's set in the year 3016. You are in charge of an archaeological expedition to the planet Kepler-1138. Your aim is to know what happened to the Lovans, humanoid aliens that became extinct for unknown reasons.

This is the official website:
    http://www.evolvingplanetgame.com

and the launch trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSuFno-MZGM

The game has been designed to promote scientific outreach to a wide audience, and our plans are to freely release the game during the next weeks.

We hope you like it!

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Is this sort of like Plague Inc? Just as a reference. I'm interested!

3. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Plague Inc. is certainly one of our inspirations, it's an awesome game!

The game mechanics here are similar, but our game is based on short missions linked by a story instead of a large world. On each mission you modify 3 to 5 attributes (Trade, Warfare, Cultural Influence, etc.). and set the direction of dispersal of your population. Some of these attributes can modify the environment.

4. APPSER

APPSER Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Male
    Looks very interesting! Let's see what you got, the game trailer is amazing!

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Same here, sounds quite interesting. Added to my watchlist ;)

6. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Alright, thanks for explaining. :)

7. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Thanks for the interest! We will try to post additional information on the game as we approach the release date.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    You can always catch me with sciency stuff ;)
    Just rewatched your trailer. You worked with the Barcelona Supercomputing Center for this? Color me very much impressed.
    If you have time, I'm really curious what you did with them. Would love to learn more.

9. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    In fact I still work there :). I lead a team doing social simulation, and the game system is based on the same techniques we apply in research (in a reduced scale). Evolving Planet is part of the outreach activities of a project applying simulation to archaeology: SimulPast.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for sharing, will read up on that, sounds very interesting. I absolutely love to learn about these things. Great stuff to work on firsthand.
    And hhmm, social simulation? Your team's nickname isn't "Foundation" or "Hari Seldon", by chance? ;)

11. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Psychohistory would be so cool! Nothing this fancy, social simulation currently works with very simple models...besides, we sort of cheat because we simulate past events; it's way easier to predict, and when you fail no Foundation is lost :)

12. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
  13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Very nice, thanks a lot for the update! And congratulations on releasing.
    Downloading already, will hop by in the new thread after I get some playing done ;)

14. xrubio

xrubio Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Thanks! We hope you like it :)