Short Searches Shafted

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by undeadcow, Apr 25, 2011.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    On the forum searches with words or alphanumeric strings less than three characters are not processed because they are "too short". This is manure.

In my fantasy world I could seek by TBS (turn based strategy), FPS (first person shooter), or acronyms more readily. Numerous threads shorten descriptions as above or game title (i.e. FF1, GOF, WoG, etc) in the headline meaning they will forever be unsearchable due to this inept search rule. Maybe I'm not meant to know gameplay impressions of Vay, Ash, or other apps unfortunate enough to have short names. Nevermind my inability to find sex app discussion.

Progress now! Up with short string searches! Pretty please...

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't even use the built in search function this site has, it's pretty awful. Even if it did search for short string searches.

I usually just use Google search, blows the sites search away.

3. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Did you just make this thread for the tongue twister title?

But I do agree, the search is crap.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can't think of many thread titles that actually use the acronyms... at the very least none of the "main" threads do. That said, you can't search World of Goo because "goo" is too short and "world" isn't precise enough.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Put it in quotes [ "world of Goo" ] and see the magic ;)

But ya forum search does suck but its a limitation of vBulletin so nothing can be done about it. Easiest option will be to search in google. Just add "Site:toucharcade.com" along with your query.

Example - Google "Site:toucharcade.com TBS"