iPad Plants vs Zombies (by Popcap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 14, 2010.

1. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes they will eat the pumpkins, you need to replace them. Only replace them when they are gone/almost gone, not when they are only a bit nibbled, or you'll run out of sun.
    Also don't wake up the magnet shooms with coffee beans, you'll waste sun, gold magnets aren't nocturnal.

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

#1262 andsoitgoes, Apr 23, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    You can buy coins via IAP. Looks like it is a one time purchase, thankfully. And with how much time I've put into this game, I don't totally begrudge it.

Anyway, here's one that's worked for me:

[​IMG]

I do alter it a bit though, replacing 2 marigolds with plain magnets and I ran into a few issues with the dolphin riders, and had to rush and swap out some extra marigolds with gloom shrooms in order to survive, but it worked.

What I'm frustrated with is having only 9 spots. I know I've played enough that we should have 10, is this another problem?

3. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I got a reply to the ticket I raised with Popcap support about the locked survival mode:
    "I apologize for the current trouble with the Survival Mode of Plants vs. Zombies. This is a known issue and should be resolved very quickly. Please look for an update over the next several days which should resolve these issues."
    So hopefully it won't be long til they fix it.

The dolphin riders are why I have four pumpkins in the water.
    9 slots is deliberate, I think it's because 10 wouldn't fit nicely on the iPhone screen, and I assume they wanted to keep the iPad version the same as iPhone.

4. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Here's the setup I use (attachment below). It might be a little overly safe, but I like to avoid failures because most of the time is wasted setting up the plants, so I think it's better to slightly lower your income in order to reduce the failure rate.

After wave 1, build 3x marigolds+lilypads. For every other wave, build 2x garlic (dig up the old ones) and 2x marigolds+lilypads.

Attached Files:

5. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    If you just put pumpkins over all lillypads you'd be all set with no dramas.
    But if you want enough suns left over for a gold magnet it's much easier just making one of the back magnets gold (don't feed it any coffee) then you can do the exact setup, with 1 gold magnet, to start with. Then after round 2 remove 1 marigold at the back and replace with a magnet and gold magnet.

Then your basically set the entire mini game. Then just replace garlic when they get eaten and you just have do do nothing but twiddle your thumbs and keep an eye out for chocolate and presents.

I've been doing that setup the last few days and no pumpkins get eaten (I hate replacing pumpkins because they're pretty expensive) I just watch tv and during wave 3 I replace any garlics that are half eaten, then press continue, then round 4 the same, and 5, replace eaten garlics, definitely the easiest way I've encountered and I've tried about 10 variations.

Ive been playing around with zen garden for 2 days now, already got 20 different plants, and have mushroom garden and aquarium unlocked. Would have taken frikin ages without the last stand mini game though

6. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Yup, so true. Especially if you want to get the achievement for all of the zen garden plants, the best way by far is to farm last stand while using the chocolates you get and selling duplicate plants that drop. Even doing this, it takes awhile since you may only get 1-2 new plants per day from the bronze-gold presents.

7. swampthing

swampthing Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2010
    The Portal combat, Beghouled Twist and the Zombiequarium are pretty meh. Well at least it's free since with the Zen Garden and some chocolates your snail should be raking in those coins..

8. MDavis360

MDavis360 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Does anyone have any tips on getting the achievement for getting to Wave 15 in the Vasebreaker mini game? I never seem to get further than 4 or 5 waves...

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    - the type/number of plants you get is the same each level.
    - levels 1-10 have one Gargantuar, 11-20 have two, 21-30 have three, and so on.
    - buy a rake.
    - smash the green vases first.
    - if you get a Repeater and don't have a space on the far right to plant it, smash a vase to make room, you'll have time for the zombie (if there is one) to walk out the way before the seed fades.
    - smash vases from right to left.
    - give the potato mines time to grow.
    - make good use of the lantern - you may need to smash a vase to plant it in a good place.
    - Gargantuars take 2 hits to kill - two squashes, two potato mines etc.
    - don't spend sun on early levels.
    - don't spend sun until the zombie is right by your house - you don't want to risk spending sun on a zombie which might die anyway.

10. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    How do you get the chocolates for the snail? I don't see them for sale in crazy Dave's shop.

11. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Chocolates are dropped randomly from any zombie from any mode. Though I find endless minigames drop them more often.
    Does anyone find that placing a plant on a spot that already has a plant card on it kind of difficult in vasebreaker? I gotta tap slightly above the spot for it to plant, otherwise it thinks I'm trying to tap on the plant card.

12. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Yes, it's a bit easier if you tap and drag the plants though.

13. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I'm half way through my second adv play and have done a large portion of the mini-games and have yet to see any drop. I just recently bought the snail, so maybe they don't start dropping until after you have purchased that.

14. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey

That seems possible...it is for feeding to the snail, after all.

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have only gotten to 10 (havent tried too hard), but:

(1) a rake is useless afaik because it will never last more than a few levels. Unless you can buy a new one mid-game, which I have not tried;

(2) any vase smashed by a Gargantuar always has a zombie in it (I think) so killing them asap is important, BUT if you attack them before you can kill them, they throw the little guy. So dont squash them early unless/until you are set up to stop the midget. Ideally, if there is a lot of fire power in the row, front and back, and not tons of vases left, let him rampage for a bit, then squash him, and one hit should be enough if he has taken a lot of other hits.

(3) re: 3, if its true that any vase smashed by the Gargantasaur always has a zombie in it, try opening vases before he gets there, using the stacking technique described below. I have not really mastered this yet;

(4) if you do have a squash or a potato mine in a row, you have some freedom to stack zombies by timing how/when you open vases. There seem to be some limits on how many stacked zombies will be killed, I am not sure exactly how this works, but a squash will kill at least 3 normal zombies stacked on top of each other. This can be useful;

(5) play slow. Wait for the zombie to die before you pop another vase in that row, unless you are using the stacking strategy noted in (4) above.

16. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    #1276 HLW, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    1) a rake isn't totally useless, sure it is of very little use (as it only deals with the first zombie of the first wave) but it's cheap and as the poster I was replying to has only got to wave 4 I figured they could use all the help they could get.

2) the vases smashed by Gargantuars are the same as any other vases, they can contain plants or zombies. Yes watch out for him throwing the mini zombie.

5) yes that's the most important tip!

BTW: chocolate won't drop until you buy the snail, and also it won't drop if you have 10 chocolate in stock.

17. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    That's correct.
    It's the same way with money, you don't get any coins until Dave actually unlocks his shop for you to buy stuff.

18. Schutzenegger

Schutzenegger Member

Jun 7, 2012
    My wide is addicted to this game. I don't remember how many times she's beaten it. Can you reccomend any similar games?

19. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Just a heads up: don't know if this will be a problem with anyone else, but the latest update (1.9.5) reset my coins from 175,000 to 950.

20. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    My coins don't appear to have been changed, so I think it might just be a bug rather than anything intentional.