Chrome for iOS

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ninjackid, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Downloading now!

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  3. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Looks great on the new iPad.

4. jeffyg3

jeffyg3 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Meh. Looks fine on the iPad, but it's a bit slower than safari. It doesn't help that it just uses Safari's core engine and it uses the older versions of nitro and the java engine. Definitely not worth the download. Hopefully Google will release Crome for ios using it own engine like Opera does in the future, for now I don't think it's worth keeping.

5. pbb76

pbb76 Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Its OK. Syncing options obviously the big draw (as I use Chrome on the work laptop and gaming PC), but disappointed that there is no dedicated bookmark bar.

Bookmarks are there (and sync'd) just a pain that its 3 clicks away.

6. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Cool to see they've done this. Kind of a shame that iOS doesn't let you change the default browser; Safari will always open any links you 'click' on inside other apps.

7. yegon

yegon Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's this that bugs me the most, far more than speed and it's not default. I use a variety of macs, pc's, phones and tablets so it's great to have one browser that fits all but the absence of bookmark bar, gah! There's an argument it makes sense on phones with small screen but not on a 9.7 display. 3 taps for a bookmark is silly. Before someone says "it's only three clicks!", multiply that by the 100 times you flip between pages in a day.

8. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Doesn't Apple limit what other browsers can do? Also, the draw isn't the speed right now, its the syncing. I guess you wouldn't get that though.

9. fybaton

fybaton Member

May 16, 2012
    Chrome seems nice and clean, which is cool but I wish you could use extensions like the desktop version.

I've been using a mix of Mercury and Safari and they're both pretty good. Mercury is a bit cluttered but it's more like Firefox and I like that.

10. kentz19

kentz19 Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Wow! Nice apps!

The features are cool just by seeing it in the picture.

Can it also be downloaded in android phone?

Thanks!:)

11. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    This already got the 1st spot in free apps for iOs. Good for Chrome users, for the rest not so much I guess, I like Atomic Web Browser but I feel Safari got speedier than Atom after OS 5 or 5.1 or whatnot. Or at least equal.

Chrome is available for Android devices running 4.0 aka Ice Cream.

12. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Some Cydia tweaks ad gestures, full screen by tapping three fingers, making Chrome the default browser and having all links open in Chrome rather than Safari. Also another one adds a tweak to change the keyboard to the default Safari keyboard.

13. timedblades

timedblades Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2012
    It's certainly another move by Google to try and invade the iOS space, but surely Apple will eventually trample them. The only reason I see Apple keeping Chrome is to prove Safari's superiority by comparison

14. Varking

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    This is a silly statement. The only reason that Safari is currently superior to Chrome is because Apple does not allow, on iOS, browsers to blow Safari away. It limits what is allowed. This is why people on iOS still think that Safari is awesome.

Apple requires all browsers that render content on the device to render them via webkit so that Apple can control what is downloadable and what is not. It isn't just a wrapper of Safari, as Safari has enhancements to the Javascript engine where the JIT compiles JS as native code thus giving Safari better performance. This "tweak" has major security implication though. Since Safari itself is a native iOS App, and one that Apple has full control over, this is why Safari has access to such tech and this is why Safari, and ONLY Safari can get these enhancements.

15. Som yung gai

Som yung gai Well-Known Member

I too, have these:)

16. That's one Chrome Looks great on IOS application Thanks for views.

17. anthonyclark

anthonyclark New Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Theologian. Biblical Historian. Preacher. Retail S
    Texas
    Google Search > Chrome

The title says it all, I enjoy the reader look and feel, and thats really the only time I use my native browser, tried chrome, nothing there for me, uninstalled it, think ill stick to using instapaper and safari (reader) for reading articles/blogs like I've been doing and google search app for finding quick answers to my questions Me: "define satisfied" Google: *satisfied* *contented; pleased.* nice...