How do you decide what to price your app at?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dangerz, Jun 9, 2009.

1. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    My last two games have been $.99. In retrospect, the first one should've been free and the 2nd one was priced correctly at $.99. My third one though, that I'm finishing up now, is very far ahead of the last 2. I've put weeks of work into it (graphics and programming) and have been doing lots of on-the-ground testing with friends. I really feel like I've built a solid game.

I was thinking about selling it for $1.99, but I'm wondering how badly that's going to effect me. Anyone have any tips on deciding to sell something for $1.99 or $.99? In retrospect it's only a dollar, but I feel like it's well worth it. I just don't want to make the mistake of pricing it too high.

Any tips?

2. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #2 LBG, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
    look at the other, similar apps. If you consider them to be better and/or cheaper then you may want to think about making then app better through an update. Because if there is another similar app for cheaper which is the same or better, then the chances are that people will buy that instead.
    It's simple really.

I would stick to that $0.99 because games priced around that region tend to do better. When you are happy with the amount of sales that you are getting then you may want to raise the price. But make sure your income is quite steady before doing this.

3. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    We priced $0.99 for smackBOTS but we will heavily work with add-ons and upgrades.. so hopefully those will make up for our base pricing of $0.99.

4. Jetfable

Jetfable Member

Jun 12, 2009
    It depends on what kind of app you are releasing, if it's a game and its a small project go with 99 cents is your best bet, with all the great titles out there getting released, it is hard to grab someone's attention if it's expensive, if it's something more towards application, like something like a medical database you can price it as high as near 20 bucks. It also depends on whether you have a lite version and how you think that will grab your audience to shell out a few more for your app.

Fab - Iphone Developer
    http://www.JetFable.com