The Adventures of Bluey and Pinky... A platformer by a 13 year old

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by laxking97, Jan 17, 2011.

1. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Hi everyone! This is my first game and everyone I show seems to be liking it.

So here is the goal--- You can choose your character either Bluey or Pinky, and then you have to find all of the coins in each level. There are 3 coins in all of them. Some of them are hidden, some are out in the open, and some are just hard to get.

Here is a cheesy trailer I made because I was bored.

It currently has only 8 levels, but when I release it, it will have 25ish (and I'll update with more, especially if it does well.)

It plays at 60 fps on my iPod touch 3rd Generation but I don't have access to any thing lower than that.

2. Regretgraal

Regretgraal Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    High School Student?
    USA
    You're 13?!
    That's impressive. If you do a beta testing phase I'm in.
    I gotta say, that's pretty amazing for someone your age though.

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

wow dude. props to you. it doesnt even look like a bad game! :)

4. Regretgraal

Regretgraal Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    High School Student?
    USA
    I'm still in shock this kid is 13...:eek:

5. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    I'd buy this just to support your efforts--I'm really impressed. Keep it up!

6. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    I'd definitely support this game, maybe even suggest it to my friends, especially if it's as good as the trailer looked! Will there be enemies, or just puzzles?

7. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Wow, coming from a 13 year old I am really impressed.

8. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Okay literally 20 mins after I posted this the file got corrupted so I'm trying to figure it out. Hoping I can fix it :0

9. bmdino

bmdino Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    That's to bad. I wish you luck in fixing it!

10. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Couldn't save it so starting from scratch. Am just finishing the menu. Wish me luck!

11. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Your buying this guys app to support his efforts solely based on his age of 13? I got 10 years on him, where is my sale age adjusted?

12. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hats off to you if you really are 13. But even that trailer looks too good for a 13 y.o

13. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    That's what backups and Time Machines are for!

Anyway, I applaud your efforts but find it a bit off putting when the marketing campaign centers around someone's young age. Sell a game on it's merits. If you get interviewed or something then that is one thing, but threads like this - talk about the game and content and stuff.

Before you know it you will be an old man of 16 and then what? Your reputation as the 13 year old developer will be long passed and you will need to create a new identity. If you start off as the developer of Bluey and Pinky, a successful platformer (assuming it is), you will get way more mileage and credibility out of it.

Too many kids announce their age and use it as a cop out (not saying you are but it is a stereotype you will have to fight if you use your age like this) for an incomplete or inferior product -- as in -- so what if the graphics stink he is only 13! Or so what if it crashes show me another 13 year old that can do that! See what I am saying here?

14. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Hmm, looks a lot like Rolando. What makes your game better than theirs? And your age excuse doesn't work as NEG does proved.

15. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe you made the trailer yourself. That's great if you did, and all this is legit, but most 13 year olds I've ever known don't have the focus or persistence to make something like that, let alone the skills needed.

That said, it does look like a decent game, but I'm more tempted by someone marketing a quality game than someone marketing their age. If your that good, age doesn't really matter, let your work speak for itself. Like someone said before, your gonna grow up eventually.

It's a shame you lost your work though, backups are crucial! Hopefully all the assets and other files are intact for you.

16. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    The art isn't that great, and it doesn't look like it will be that hard to navigate the levels. But I guess for a 13 year old it's okay.

17. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I did make the trailer. It didn't take that long all I did was capture the screen and then put it in an iMovie template and boom, done!

18. laxking97

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    Oh and most of the art is done by my brother, I actually like it a lot.

19. TooTinyMan

TooTinyMan Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Over there --->
    Okay?!?! For a 13-year-old it's f***ing awesome!!!:eek:

20. Flowermilk

Flowermilk Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Game Concept Artist
    SoCal
    Ok we get the age thing. Can we move on now?