Politics games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by thumbs07, Aug 17, 2016.

1. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Big fan of Jennifer Government- if anyone played that. (And really ought to be an app)
    But I wondered other politics games:

I can think of:
    Democracy 3
    Reigns- this is but have to admit not a fan of
    Dictator series

Are there any others?

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Would also like some suggestions.

Do you not like Reigns? Haven't played it yet, but the concept is so cool.

3. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    No I didn't like Reigns, too silly, too arbitrary. A good unique approach but not for me.

4. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Ok now played Dictator and that's good political one. And new one this week:
    Head of State. (As long as it's not Trump..)

5. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Politicats came out last week. It's a clicker, so I've gone nowhere near it, but it looks like it has fairly high production values.

Arguably, something like Twilight Struggle, a Cold War-set board game iOS conversion, is all about politics. Very highly rated, but never played it.

One game I have played, and love to bits, is King of Dragon Pass. It's a unique mish-mash of a few genres, but there is definitely a strong political element to some of the decisions you have to make.

6. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Is Kotp too complex? Never played because it gave me that feel.

7. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Ah, that's a tricky question in itself. King of Dragon Pass is a breeze to play, in terms of mechanics, as it simply offers you a series of multiple choices to make again and again. Think Reigns, but much deeper and more nuanced. Yet that part is still very simple, and rewarding.

The complexity comes in other elements, where it expects you to discover and read all the masses and masses of lore behind the game. You then use this information to inform the choices you make in mystic quests. It takes time, luck, memory and insight to get through these quests properly and reach a satisfactory endgame.

Or you can use a walkthrough... You'd still enjoy it!

8. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I CAN tell you there's not much interest in any of the Donald Trump games around here! Hardly anyone seems to even check out any of the new ones that keep popping up! :D

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Thanks!

I might give it a try, since people speak very higly of it. But I am a bit scared of intimidating games. Is it the kind of game that is best experienced on iPad or will I be fine on iphone 6?

10. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Think I played through it on my old iPhone 4S, so an iPhone 6 is fine. I'm sure it would look lovely on an iPad, but you really don't need the bigger screen.

11. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Will look out for that King of dragon pass.