iPad Real Racing 2 - (by Firemint)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

You should disable all driving aids.

2. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    well, I like RR2 quite a lot, but as good as it is, it ain't no GT5 or Forza. Not that anyone should really expect it to be of course...

3. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I had GT on PSP and preferred RR. The tilt steering was sorely missed by me on the PSP game.

Can't wait for RR3!

4. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Oh yeah, I was only talking about the PS3/360 games. I could see RR2 being better than the portable versions of GT and thats a fair comparison ftmp.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That's server lag. Common enough in multiplayer games if the connection is not good.
    Plus like all multiplayer games, boosters are a problem.

6. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    #1586 Solidfart, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    Ain't that the freaking truth. I stop playing the 'silly' game just because of this none sense and more.

Other players get in grass n somehow they maintain their full speed while when it's me, 5 people pass me.

I hit someone and I lose speed while they dash ahead. Someone else hit me and they go right through me while guess what, I CRASH!

Scripted physics that can't tell the difference between the angle you hit something at and how fast you are going. Ever notice how 90% of any impact have your car spin backwards. That's because it a scripted effect. Not real physic behavior.

With every update the game just got worst n worst in my opinion. With the last update just made the AI a total cheat on normal. They make no mistakes. You hit them n they r unaffected. The list goes on.

So if RR3 is the same silly nonsense with better graphics, no thanks. Personally I think Need For Speed will be the real fun and better game between the two.

7. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1587 Rip73, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
    You do know its the same developer making both RR3 and Most Wanted.
    And in relation to that grass example, still sounds like server lag or boosters. Try reporting them.
    Funnily enough, the problems you two mention rarely happen to me on iPad 2 or iPhone 5 and a 120 meg wifi.
    Boosters are present but no lag.

Also, keep the swearing out of the posts. It does break the rules.

8. Solidfart

Solidfart Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    The companies just recently merge. Firemint was already working on its RR3 while Iron monkeys was already deep in NFS. So it's not the same group working on both games. And regarding the problems presented, whether they are lag or not, they are game breakers for me. Plus a cheap AI that is perfect in every way has nothing to do with lag. It's just garbage programing on firemint's part.

That's one of the reason's why I LOVE GTA games. Rockstar program the AI to almost simulate a real person. Meaning they are not perfect, they can fire and miss a shot, crash their cars just like me, miscalculate a turn and much more.

9. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    is it just me or have the graphics looked worse now on the iPhone 4?

10. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1590 Rip73, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
    Ah, never mind, I don't know why I bothered.
    Saying Firemint used cheap AI and garbage programming is just beyond ridiculous.
    I'm out.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You can tell by the level of rhetoric whether someone is worthy of engaging in conversation. That guy's forum name should have been a big red flag ;).

12. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Sorry to side with the bad guy here, but playing devils advocate, I would have to agree with a lot of solidfarts' points. The AI is not good and the barrier collision spins are faked, not real physics by a long shot. I guess they did it to stop you riding the barriers for good lap times but I would have preferred real physics with a forced "no acceleration" (or forced 4 seconds of braking) period after a collision to stop you from getting a better lap time than you could from staying on the road.

And I haven't had a single online race without lag (and I have solid 100mbit fibre connection). Guessing its peer-to-peer which is a recipe for unreliability. It's only as good as the weakest link.

Still a good game but I hope RR3 is a lot better and more satisfying "feel" overall.

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I have no opinion on the quality of AI in RR2. My comment was specific to the quality of the guy's rhetoric: it is possible to be critical of something without using profanity or calling it "garbage." The comparison to Rockstar was rich, too: their games have budgets of $100+ million and regularly take 4+ years to ship. When they've worked with more limited budgets and schedules, the AI tends to be fairly limited (as it is in the PSP and DS GTA's).

In any event, we can only hope that RR3 improves on every aspect of the game, not just the graphics.

14. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Ah sorry squarezero, I probably should have quoted Rip then ;)
    I come from PC sim racing and some of the single player AI on the SimBin games (like GTL/GTR) is really amazing... it's so convincing and subtle. It is possible and I doubt they had that huge a budget either but of course the games are nowhere as big in scope as GTA games hehe.

IMO the problem in RR stems from everything being just too fast travelling, meaning the AI don't have time to react to you or each other. It's good fun but cannot be called a sim, or even simcade.

Very excited to try RR3 still.

15. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    #1595 Jacob007, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    +1 for this
    Thats why I switched from Asphalt to RR. Every Asphalt game just had better graphics, thats it. RR3, as you said, should also improve on each aspect of the game, such as tracks, cars, AI, physics, and the real racing feel overall. I don't want the back of my car to continue falling off (although I want them to keep this), but I also want to see more damage taken to the cars and other cars when you run into them, because, as someone said before, they're pretty much unaffected. I hope Firemonkeys focuses on AI and physics to create a more real experience. I am glad real tracks are included this time, though. Thats a big step up from RR and RR2. Also, on physics, I'd like to see smoother steering (on my iPod it seems really abrupt, although that could be intended or more realistic?) and, as I said, more damage (hopefully this isn't too arcade racing style?)
    Something I've always wanted is the damn people watching the race to look more realistic. They just wave their arms in a choppy fashion and they each look like Slenderman - no face.
    I could be mistaken, and I apologize if this is a rant, but its just my RR3 wishlist.

EDIT: Anyone know the RR3 price, or maybe a speculation? $5? $1?

16. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1596 Rip73, Oct 22, 2012
    It's a good wish list actually. Very similar to what they are actually working on for it I'd imagine.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Interesting to see this game being discussed again. Personally I always thought it was wildly overrated. Amazing how many glaring flaws folks are prepared to turn a blind eye to in favour of some eye candy. That said, I could have easily forgiven it the ambivalent physics and driving model (it's neither fish nor fowl,) the woeful AI, the inept difficulty balancing, and a number of other issues, if only it was able to deliver a fluid, consistent frame rate. It's simply beyond me how anybody is able to enjoy a driving game that runs at 30 FPS at best, with constant jarring dips. Truly a game for those who value graphics far, far above all.

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #1598 Rip73, Oct 22, 2012
    Ok, fair enough opinion. I don't agree with it myself but that's personal as I've simply always enjoyed the game, even after nearly two years on release and multiple play throughs, I still enjoy it. And that's not just down to the graphics.
    But what racing games, on iOS, are better than it? I'm obviously missing something or some other superior racing simulator game that I haven't tried yet. (no console example please as I no longer even use any of mine much)

19. Jacob007

Jacob007 Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    IOS games have a limit of performance and things you can do successfully on the devices, especially if you're aiming to support the older ones. I also believe Apple has a memory limit
    for apps, but I'm not 100% sure. Even with Real Racing, there was so much they could do. Sure, theres room for improvement, but, as you said, what other racing game comes close to this?

20. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Driving Speed is by far the best I've come across; have you tried it? I would be curious to hear what you think. It's heavily on the "sim" end of the scale though, and I also wouldn't recommend it for devices below 4S/iPad 2. A lite version is also available, but for the iPad only. Here's the thread: (and link)

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=115305&highlight=Driving+speed