Best release day of the week

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lif, Jan 30, 2013.

1. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Hi! I'm getting close to releasing my first game, and I was wondering if there was a general consensus on the best day of the week to release something?

Is it better to release early because everybody hates mondays, or late because people are longing for the week-end? I assume week-ends are the worst? I see the "Coming Tonight" posts on the front page every wednesday ; does anybody know if they aggregate the week's releases, or if those games are released that day? Inquiring mind wants to know…

Long time Touch Arcade reader, first time poster, please be gentle :)

2. Stephen Richard

Stephen Richard Active Member

Jan 2, 2013
    USA
    I think it won't be a matter at all, as it takes Apple to anywhere from one day to three months to approve your app. So you can plan around that.

3. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Sure you have to plan your release on a particular day and coordinate it with other marketing activities. Apple approval is one thing, but you can publish your app whenever you want.

I would suggest Monday or Tuesday, even this article says Sunday.

4. Alittletf

Alittletf Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Marketing at Tiny Factory
    San Diego
    I have always read that monday, tuesday is good. We have experienced successful launches on tuesdays as it is easier to coordinate with bloggers/journalists in the middle of the week. However the days we continually see spikes in downloads come on the weekend. Our next app will be launched on a thursday and see how that plays out over the weekend.

5. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Thanks, that's a great link and exactly what I was looking for! It's interesting that sundays fare that well. Maybe because people tend to stay cosy at home at the end of the week-end ?

That's a very good point: does Touch Arcade even post things on sundays? Looking back at the front page, there was no post on the last 2 week-ends.

Well according to R3v's link thursday is the worst day, but I'd be really interested to hear your result. I plan to launch at the end of february though, so that might be before your next release.